The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I've had my Rider for three years now. I bought it as a 100% care-free travel guitar. It has fulfilled that purpose with full marks. It sounds like a much larger instrument, and has a smooth, somewhat sparkly hi-fi tone throughout its entire range. Its über-cool looks are icing on the cake.

Where I live, relative humidity levels are very guitar-friendly, so carbon fiber's biggest selling point is not a critical one for me. Great as the Rider is, I prefer to spend my time at home with my wooden guitars.

The Rider is the only CF guitar I've ever seen, let alone played. It has a unique spot in my collection, but it hasn't made me feel the need to buy a larger composite instrument.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-08-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Just got my hands on a used Cargo with a pickup. Loving this hot little number.
That is exactly the guitar that sold me...and when I first saw it (before hitting the first chord) I almost didn't try it out - looked WAY too small to take seriously.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
That is exactly the guitar that sold me...and when I first saw it (before hitting the first chord) I almost didn't try it out - looked WAY too small to take seriously.

Long live the Cargo! I guess it will being CF and all.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM

I have four Rainsongs (three of them here in Vt., and one left in the custody of my daughter in Mt., to avoid hauling one on every plane trip), and a Journey OF660. I am not trying to sell all my wood ones right now, only because my wife is fond of the sound of one of the best ones, and the market is soft now, so there's no point in selling if you don't need the money in a hurry. And it's good to have one or two el cheapos around to loan to drunks or hackers who want to play.

Aside from the combination of light weight and tremendous toughness, compared to wood, and the ease of getting a loud, but clear and pleasant tone out of them, compared to wood in the same price range, I like them for the resistance to changes in temperature and humidity (which changes are constant in northern New England, especially in a house heated in part with wood, like this one) But I also like them because I'm in my 70s, and getting stiffer (almost) all over. My two most played instruments - Smokey SMH and APLE - both combine short scale and 12-fret necks. The short scale is useful because it allows tuning to pitch with less string tension. The 12-fret neck is useful because having the "money frets" closer to you body means extending the left arm less, and therefor bending the left wrist less. Also, the CF or composite bodies respond much better to GHS silk and bronze medium lights (12-54), which I doubt would produce sufficient volume for my needs on any wood instrument except prohibitively costly ones.

But I ramble on....
Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Another all-CF convert here. I love wood guitars and loved owning many different brands and styles over the years but since gigging is my primary focus I loved the bulletproof aspects of CF. Like some, I'm a little shallow when it comes to looks so when Emerald began it's journey into the woody topped guitars my interest was peaked and I'm also big on comfort and 'fit' (to me) so when they started offering full customization I was done. The wood guitars were all sold off and several customs (some mine, some others) came my way. I still have two of them that are radically different and provide a wide pallet of flavors and style to my playing and our show.

All that said, I still love the look, feel and sound of wood guitars. Generally speaking I am a two-guitar kind of guy. If I had a ton of disposable income and time I might own several more. One guitar I've had a hankering for the last several years is something extremely vintage like either a prewar or at the very least a birth-year guitar. I've avoided the vintage market like the plague for the obvious reasons (money, old guitars with hidden landmine issues) but I'm feeling the pull to add at least one. That would satiate my desire for owning something old and wood but I do worry it might open Pandora's Box!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
I've had my Rider for three years now. I bought it as a 100% care-free travel guitar. It has fulfilled that purpose with full marks. It sounds like a much larger instrument, and has a smooth, somewhat sparkly hi-fi tone throughout its entire range. Its über-cool looks are icing on the cake.
I'm right there with you. I love and gig with my CA GX -- pretty much a perfect gigging guitar for me -- and my steel-string Rider goes with me/us whenever I/we go anywhere, if at all possible. Maybe the perfect combo of tone, sound, playability, coolness, portability and performance, as travel guitars go.

That being said, I also love my Larrivee LV-03E and it's always a pleasure to play it.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM

I like not having to worry about heat, cold, or humidity with my Rainsong when I am traveling for work. It certainly won't replace my Collings in the sound department.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

No one has mentioned the dollar to dollar comparison of CF vs Wood, we're mentioning Collings, SCGC, Martin, pretty expensive guitars and comparing them to CF guitars that I would guess average about half the price of the wood ones. My SCGC is the best sounding guitar I have, but you'd have to spend a lot for a wood guitar that beats my X20 ! Just another plus for the CF guitars.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Great points, JD. Because CF is expensive and tricky to work with, you don't normally see low budget composite guitars. The build quality is universally quite good. My Rainsong WS-1000 is of comparable build quality to similarly priced Taylor's, and better than other brands for the same $$$. Ditto for Blackbird, Emerald and CA too.

My X20 won a recent shootout at a friend's house compared to a custom shop Martin 000-28. Louder, richer in tone, and more comfortable to play.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree. “Different tool in the tool bag” is exactly why CF or other composites can have a place with any player.
+1, for sure!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Alright, you got me.

They invented carbon fiber guitars exclusively for me.

Glad you all like them too.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Great points, JD. Because CF is expensive and tricky to work with, you don't normally see low budget composite guitars. The build quality is universally quite good. My Rainsong WS-1000 is of comparable build quality to similarly priced Taylor's, and better than other brands for the same $$$. Ditto for Blackbird, Emerald and CA too.

My X20 won a recent shootout at a friend's house compared to a custom shop Martin 000-28. Louder, richer in tone, and more comfortable to play.
Glad to hear my old X20 won the shootout and is still going strong. I do miss the sound even if the neck didn’t work for me.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Alright, you got me.

They invented carbon fiber guitars exclusively for me.

Glad you all like them too.
Nice..I knew it had to be for someone! Glad we all got to sneak in and get one or two as well !
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

+1 to Earl49. Yep, living in Alaska (temperature and humidity variations) has me sold on a CF guitar and like Earl49, I’ll soon be down to my banjo (although I’ve heard rumors that Deering is investigating CG necks .....) and Breedlove 12 string. Low maintenance, stays in tune and I love the sound. It took me awhile to understand that my CF guitar (Emerald) has its own sound so comparisons really don’t work. LOVE IT!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 08-11-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustictone View Post
Well if you want ease of maintenance and not having to worry about humidity and the related problems that goes alone with that, Zero finish problems, stays in perfect tune and can take it with you to gigs worry free than the answer is YES! I'm not saying carbon fiber is better than wood or wood is better than carbon fiber but it's just a different tool in the tool bag. With wood you have to be very diligent in the care of that guitar. So carbon fiber truly has it's place. What's your opinion?
No it is not for me. The only thing that matters is tone. CF does not sound like wood. Like the vast majority of players from the past 100 years, wood works perfectly fine and always has. If you care more about the issues you pointed out then play whatever fulfills those concerns. However, since I don't care if a guitar gets a boo boo and I, as well as everyone else, have taken wooden guitars to every festival ever put on without catastrophic problems, I'll stick with wood and the corresponding tone. Obviously asking this question in the CF section was designed to elicit a specific response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber