The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

I am now also pondering the possibility of getting the Klos acoustic travel guitar. I'm not expecting it to replace or be at the same level as my Blackbird, but the price is so much lower (especially if I get a factory second, since I don't care about the appearance being perfect) that it may be just the thing for my purposes. Its weight is about the same as the Blackbird, which for me is a real positive. I don't travel all that often, so the less convenient system for putting it together is not an issue for me. So good to have a range of options !
Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Steelvibe,

I am with you on volume and emailed James after reading your post. He had no clue for any new changes. Can you expand on the details?
Guess we'll have to accept what he said 😉
Old 07-15-2019, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Hi Trish. Just noticed this thread, so I'll chime in here as well.

When I first got my Rider, I had an adjustment period in order to learn how best to use the Neck-Up. The suction cups would slip off due to too much torsion. I fiddled around with different locations until I found the right spot. Now and again, if I get really rowdy and start stomping my feet and fidgeting around, the Neck-Up comes loose. A handy reminder that all that posturing in no way makes my playing any better !!

Have you experimented like this? If not, before you consider replacing an irreplaceable guitar with another, you may want to give it a try.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

I agree with Deft. the Riders are unique and marvelous instruments. They have the same downside as Ovations (hard to hold), but if you can adapt they are worth hanging on to.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Guess we'll have to accept what he said 😉
Sure hope you are hiding something up your sleeve!

Btw, I have gone to GC half a dozen times and everytime I end up with this Cordova Fusion Orchestra that feels so light and resonant with beautiful voicing. So I am planning on buying Yamaha THR5A amp that I think will fit inside the upper compartment of the Journey bag and I could also play nylon with it and not have to lug my Loudbox mini around the house. Well the vender that has the amp also has a bunch of Journey OF660 in stock around $700 and willing to deal, no tax. I am planning on stopping by Thursday afternoon to check 'em out. The vender is located near S.F. airport and on Craigslist sf. Hope they are legit.

p.s. Sure wish THR5a had line out, bluetooth sort of things that are pretty much standard now.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Sure hope you are hiding something up your sleeve!

Btw, I have gone to GC half a dozen times and everytime I end up with this Cordova Fusion Orchestra that feels so light and resonant with beautiful voicing. So I am planning on buying Yamaha THR5A amp that I think will fit inside the upper compartment of the Journey bag and I could also play nylon with it and not have to lug my Loudbox mini around the house. Well the vender that has the amp also has a bunch of Journey OF660 in stock around $700 and willing to deal, no tax. I am planning on stopping by Thursday afternoon to check 'em out. The vender is located near S.F. airport and on Craigslist sf. Hope they are legit.

p.s. Sure wish THR5a had line out, bluetooth sort of things that are pretty much standard now.
$700? Doesn't seem possible unless second hand or second quality.

Let us know what you find out when you visit.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM

I will let you know, ac. Sounds like a liquidation of a local music store called "B street music."
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM

If condition is good, or even close, grab it!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hi Trish. Just noticed this thread, so I'll chime in here as well.

When I first got my Rider, I had an adjustment period in order to learn how best to use the Neck-Up. The suction cups would slip off due to too much torsion. I fiddled around with different locations until I found the right spot. Now and again, if I get really rowdy and start stomping my feet and fidgeting around, the Neck-Up comes loose. A handy reminder that all that posturing in no way makes my playing any better !!

Have you experimented like this? If not, before you consider replacing an irreplaceable guitar with another, you may want to give it a try.
The suction cups kept slipping off the guitar, and also popping out of the holes in the strap. But fortunately I decided to try it again yesterday, and discovered that when i remove the suction cups entirely, the neck-up works well ! the fabric is rough enough that it stays sitting on my right leg (instead of left, sort of like with a classical guitar position) but lets me move around a bit (maybe not rowdy stomping, ha ha , but I don't like to have to stay totally still) without it sliding ... et voilà, ça marche parfaitement ! I am so glad I tried it again. The guitar is still a bit too deep in the body for me to hold totally comfortably, but it is such a lovely guitar in every other respect that it is worth it to keep playing.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
If condition is good, or even close, grab it!
Disappointing news, it is not $700 and the owner, Gary, though sounded nice over the phone, admitted how it all looks like bait and switch (due to some miscommunication between him and his employee ). THR5A as advertised turned out to be not in stock and the ads have not been reflective of what they can deliver. On the bright side, I sold my GPC28CE and got a Cordova Fusion nylon 12 CE with solid cedar top, rosewood b/s and fishman presys: It resonates beautifully and I am willing to put up with the extra care
Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

Congratulations. The Fusion is a marvelous guitar and should give you years of play. Pictures?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gitaman;

Congratulations. The Fusion is a marvelous guitar and should give you years of play. Pictures?
Hello EvanB,
I have been playing Cordoba so much I just read your post late last night. Only thing I do not like is higher action due to neck angle. I understand the need for such but I do not pluck hard most of the time. Sadly, the saddle does not have much height to work with. GKs have lower action but wider neck. Still have time to swap or return hence still looking for ways to lowering the action. Truss rod adjustment is near flat stock already.

I will try to post a picture or two. Sorry to the OP for sidestepping but I included OF660 in the picture. It has aged gold Goto tuner that I really like the look of. X7 has aged copper that matches Cocobolo veneer.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

Have you had a professional look at the guitar?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 PM

What beautiful guitars !
Old 08-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Nice action shots
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber