The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
The Capitals won again last night (11/26) with their 6th win in a row - putting them just over the top in the Metro Division. The Predators are still atop of theirs. The Predators play tonight. I think they are still tied for the lead in points in the NHL.
Capitals are putting it together again this season ... to my chagrin .

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Flyers fired their GM Hextall yesterday. Kind of a surprise to me. Seemed like the Flyers were building a very good core with some savvy drafting under Hextall. If I were HC Dave Hakstol I'd be a bit anxious right now; whoever the new GM is will likely want his own man in that spot, sooner rather than later.
I saw Ron Hextall play in the AHL in the mid '80s when he was on the opposing team. Great player who liked to mix it up. I still remember when he slashed Kent Nielsson (I believe) of Edmonton in the Stanley Cup Finals. Brutal hack.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 AM

Avalanche beat the Pens 6-3 in Colorado last night. What a display of elite talent in the game!!! The MacKinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog line is unbelievably good! Gave the Pens fits everytime they were on the ice. Sid, not to be outdone, had a natural hat trick in just under 6 minutes during the 2nd and 3rd periods; bringing the Pens back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game. Crosby is simply the greatest! I'd love to see these two teams face off in the Stanley Cup Final; that would be really entertaining!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Avalanche beat the Pens 6-3 in Colorado last night. What a display of elite talent in the game!!! The MacKinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog line is unbelievably good! Gave the Pens fits everytime they were on the ice. Sid, not to be outdone, had a natural hat trick in just under 6 minutes during the 2nd and 3rd periods; bringing the Pens back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game. Crosby is simply the greatest! I'd love to see these two teams face off in the Stanley Cup Final; that would be really entertaining!
Very entertaining game, although Sid had me sweating at the start of the third period. It's cool that he and MacKinnon are both from Cole Harbour and work out together in the summer. They've done some commercials together, too, including one for Tim Hortons where they both man the drive-thru. They offer a free coffee to anyone who can name a hockey player from Cole Harbour, and of course everyone says Crosby. Finally one woman remembers, oh, yeah, that other guy. His name starts with an M...McGinnis!

I'm really interested to see what the Avs can do in the playoffs, although they're awfully young. The big line is starting to equal or even break some of the Sakic/Forsberg records from back in the day. Plus Cale Makar, another defenseman, has been impressive at U-Mass and will join them next year, and they've got the Sens number one draft choice this year. Jack Hughes to center that second line maybe? That's what Avs fans are dreaming of.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 PM

The late games kill me. I could only make it through two periods before I started drifting off. Sid's hat trick brought me back, but when the Avs pulled ahead I was done. Sorry.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
Very entertaining game, although Sid had me sweating at the start of the third period. It's cool that he and MacKinnon are both from Cole Harbour and work out together in the summer. They've done some commercials together, too, including one for Tim Hortons where they both man the drive-thru. They offer a free coffee to anyone who can name a hockey player from Cole Harbour, and of course everyone says Crosby. Finally one woman remembers, oh, yeah, that other guy. His name starts with an M...McGinnis!

I'm really interested to see what the Avs can do in the playoffs, although they're awfully young. The big line is starting to equal or even break some of the Sakic/Forsberg records from back in the day. Plus Cale Makar, another defenseman, has been impressive at U-Mass and will join them next year, and they've got the Sens number one draft choice this year. Jack Hughes to center that second line maybe? That's what Avs fans are dreaming of.
I love the way the Avs play!! The game last night was the most entertaining non-playoff game I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of the games of the Pens and Nordiques I used to watch back in the 90s: Sakic/Forsberg/Nolan vs Lemieux/Jagr/Francis- Oh baby!!

I guess someone at SI agrees with me about the entertainment value of last night's game: https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/11/29/si...rado-avalanche

If the Avs manage to get Jack Hughes in the draft next year, it would be the end of parity in the NHL as we know it!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

I live in Nova Scotia and I've seen a few Crosby Tim Horton's commercials.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I love the way the Avs play!! The game last night was the most entertaining non-playoff game I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of the games of the Pens and Nordiques I used to watch back in the 90s: Sakic/Forsberg/Nolan vs Lemieux/Jagr/Francis- Oh baby!!

I guess someone at SI agrees with me about the entertainment value of last night's game: https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/11/29/si...rado-avalanche

If the Avs manage to get Jack Hughes in the draft next year, it would be the end of parity in the NHL as we know it!
Nice article. Thanks, catdaddy.

Yeah, Hughes is probably a longshot, but with the lottery, strange things can happen. Two years ago, the Avs suffered through a miserable 48 point season and ended up picking fourth. I'm hoping for better ping pong ball luck this year.

By the way, the rematch in Pittsburgh is next Tuesday.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Old 11-30-2018, 05:00 AM

Bruins win in SO. Miller is out 5 weeks. The injuries are piling up for the Bruins.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Nice article. Thanks, catdaddy.

Yeah, Hughes is probably a longshot, but with the lottery, strange things can happen. Two years ago, the Avs suffered through a miserable 48 point season and ended up picking fourth. I'm hoping for better ping pong ball luck this year.

By the way, the rematch in Pittsburgh is next Tuesday.
I marked that date on my calendar immediately after the game on Wednesday night ended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Bruins win in SO. Miller is out 5 weeks. The injuries are piling up for the Bruins.
Ouch! Do the Bruins have any defensemen left that are healthy? They've been pretty resilient so far given their injury situation, but this will be a challenge.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 AM

Capitals' Tom Wilson got a match penalty for another hit to the head! He was just suspended 14 games for a preseason hit. Anyone think he'll be suspended again?
Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Capitals' Tom Wilson got a match penalty for another hit to the head! He was just suspended 14 games for a preseason hit. Anyone think he'll be suspended again?
Yes, I think he'll be suspended. Wilson hit Brett Seney from behind in the head. Sound familiar? With his track record, Wilson deserves no benefit of the doubt with regard to illegal hits, concussed opponents and subsequent suspensions.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-01-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think he'll be suspended. Wilson hit Brett Seney from behind in the head. Sound familiar? With his track record, Wilson deserves no benefit of the doubt with regard to illegal hits, concussed opponents and subsequent suspensions.
Well, the news is out and there won't even be a hearing on the Wilson hit. So no suspension. How long before Wilson repeats?
Old 12-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Well, the news is out and there won't even be a hearing on the Wilson hit. So no suspension. How long before Wilson repeats?
Can't say I understand the NHL's response to this latest dirty hit by a serial offender. As to "How long before Wilson repeats?", the most poignant aspect of asking that question is the fact that it is a matter of when, not if.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Fleury was the 3rd star of the month. Led the league with 9 wins and 4 shutouts. Nice to see him putting it together again in Las Vegas.

Laine was 1st star (18 goals in 12 games) and MacKinnon 2nd star (23 points in 14 games).

Penguins and Bruins both playing tonight.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Fleury was the 3rd star of the month. Led the league with 9 wins and 4 shutouts. Nice to see him putting it together again in Las Vegas.

Laine was 1st star (18 goals in 12 games) and MacKinnon 2nd star (23 points in 14 games).

Penguins and Bruins both playing tonight.
Man, I miss seeing Fleury here in Pittsburgh. The Penguins could really use him right now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic