The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Here's a pic of a Go Type IV Parlor next to a Larrivee Parlor (which is next to a Larrivee 00-03).

What I use for camping and hiking is my Go Grande.

Ed
Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I was actually considering the X5, but if I read the spec's of the Emerald correctly, it said the nut width was 1 11/16". If that's the case, then it's not really a consideration for me. I saw no mention of any other nut widths available for the X5, but I may just have missed it. Does anyone know for sure if they offer a wider nut width or not?
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
a recording of "Signe" I made using an H2 to record the GO Parlor . . .
Nice job on Signe, Steve! What a great little piece that is, and a great start to a great album. I can see that I'll be spending a lot of time on your SoundClick page!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Nice job on Signe, Steve! What a great little piece that is, and a great start to a great album. I can see that I'll be spending a lot of time on your SoundClick page!
Hi coldbrew . . . thanks for the very nice compliment, I appreciate it very much!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Just for fun... I created an analysis to help with the decision making. The first one is basically the thought process that led me to buy a Little Martin. This shows all of the factors that are important to me and how I feel about each guitar. IMO, the Little Martin has one of the highest overall score and clearly the highest bang-for-the-buck by far. If money wasn't really a factor, than I would have gone for the CA Cargo (highest overall score).

Btw, bang-for-the-buck = 300*(overall score / street price). Street price is hidden due to forum rules.

Now, a frequent business traveller (who don't care about beater-ability or couch-ability) but cares about portability, tone and regular scale will really like Voyage Air.

Last edited by revive; 02-08-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Nice job! Thanks revive for doing the chart thingy.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Just for fun... I created an analysis to help with the decision making. The first one is basically the thought process that led me to buy a Little Martin. This shows all of the factors that are important to me and how I feel about each guitar. IMO, the Little Martin has one of the highest overall score and clearly the highest bang-for-the-buck by far. If money wasn't really a factor, than I would have gone for the CA Cargo (highest overall score).

Btw, bang-for-the-buck = 300*(overall score / street price). Street price is hidden due to forum rules.

Now, a frequent business traveller (who don't care about beater-ability or couch-ability) but cares about portability, tone and regular scale will really like Voyage Air.

Nice analysis. The fun thing about "travel guitars" is that what's perfect for you depends on how you rate these various criteria. So while the Martin Backpacker might rate quite low on sound and playability, it would be one of my first choices if I were actually carrying the thing around all day. If I wanted a full size regular guitar that I could get aboard an airplane I would check out the Voyage Air, but for sure I would not want it aboard my boat because it still takes up too much space.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 PM

There is also the Brunner Outdoor guitar which is in its usual configuration, comes in a parlor size, yet has a hardshell ABS case that is hardy enough for travel, and which is collapsible. It is perfect for business travellers as it is less bulky than the Voyage Air while being hardy enough for carrying it outdoors. Lukas Brunner designed the guitar specifically for his own outdoor holiday.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Steve, you got me thinking about the Go Guitar again, and so I emailed Sam about a quote. It's pretty impressive what you get for the money from him. For similar money to the X5 he could make me a similar sized guitar that would no doubt sound a lot better. Pretty tempting.

Airguitarro, thanks for the tip on Brunner- I love their interactive website that lets you price out different options. I think I'd be more interested if I lived in Europe. Also, while the removable neck is a nice idea for flying, I don't think it would be so useful for other kinds of travel, and I kind of prefer my guitars in one piece.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitarro View Post
There is also the Brunner Outdoor guitar which is in its usual configuration, comes in a parlor size, yet has a hardshell ABS case that is hardy enough for travel, and which is collapsible. It is perfect for business travellers as it is less bulky than the Voyage Air while being hardy enough for carrying it outdoors. Lukas Brunner designed the guitar specifically for his own outdoor holiday.
Yeah, the Brunners are beautiful, but at roughly 3 x the price of a VAOM or VAD Voyage Air model, I just can't justify the extra. They sure are purdy though!

I heard a rumor somewhere that Brunner builds a removable neck carbon fiber guitar. I've been unable to confirm this via his website and Google, but would really like to know if it is true. If so, it could be the perfect travel guitar for me, and I would be willing to spend more for it.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM

I decided to keep the X5! While tempted by the Go Parlor II, which is a fantastic deal if it's anywhere near as good as people say, I ultimately decided that the X5's portability and playability trump solid wood tone in a travel guitar.

I bring MP3s when I travel, not vinyl. The X5 is the best compromise between portability, playability, and tone that I've found.

It's as portable as the Backpacker, but sounds much better, and plays as well as any of my full sized guitars.

I like to play acoustic guitars with soundhole pickups through fuzz pedals and tube amps in a band setting. The X5 sounds great through this setup because it's so small that it minimizes feedback, but still provides the electric tone I want.

My only hesitation about buying this guitar was its lack of stainless steel frets. If I bought a new custom I would probably get them. But I bonded with this guitar, so I'll just have to hope that the frets last a long time and I can get stainless when I have them replaced.

I'm planning on trying different strings, and maybe even getting a bone nut and saddle to see if that improves the tone.

Last edited by Tarnisher; 02-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
Here's a pic of a Go Type IV Parlor next to a Larrivee Parlor (which is next to a Larrivee 00-03).

What I use for camping and hiking is my Go Grande.

Ed
It is so cool that it comes with its own extension cord!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
It is so cool that it comes with its own extension cord!
LOL... the maid was off that day. (grin)

Ed
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 AM

To me a travel guitar is about tuffness not about size. Is that little savings in size worth it. I would take my full size CA Lagecy and check it at the airport. Throw it in the car, take it out at the beach. Seems to me you giving up a lot going small when any carbon guitar is a traveler. Sure there are exceptions to this if you backpacking, cycling etc. But for most of us just throw it in the back of the car. Am I saving a square foot by going for a micro guitar?
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Doubleneck, for me size matters! For one thing, most of my playing is either amplified or in my apartment.

Big guitars get you two things: volume and tone. Dreadnoughts were developed back when a P.A. system in a bar or club was an exception. Now every club I play has a P.A. While I love the tone of my full sized guitars, I find that their tone rarely translates through a P.A. anyway. So the only advantage is that when I'm in a small room, I like the sound better. A slight improvement in tone is just not worth the hassle of lugging the thing around.

I guess it depends on the kind of traveling you do also. For me, the few inches difference in size between the X5 and even my Larrivee Parlor is enormous. Even if the Parlor was carbon and didn't require a case, it still would take up a lot of room in a small car or airplane overhead. Plus, since I'm not using the volume or tone of a big guitar when I play out, I prefer to not have to deal with one. I can even keep the X5 slung over my shoulder until it's time for me to go on, so I don't have to worry about theft.

Carbon guitars are tougher than wood, but I doubt they can withstand having several stuffed suitcases hurled at them, not to mention the risk of theft. The X5 isn't much bigger than the Backpacker, which always fit into the overhead WITH my carry on bag. In fact, I could even pack clothes around the X5 and take it as my only piece of luggage!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber