The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Came to my senses, dodged a bullet - Emerald X7 content

Since acquiring EvanB's awesome X10 slimline I was one Emerald CF 'heavy'. I'm generally a two-guitar guy so it was never a thought that I'd keep all three. But then as I got more and more used to the X10 nylon I started to think that maybe I'd sell both the X20 and X7 and find another nylon. I had both up here and on Reverb and as is always the case both had a lot of interest early on but generally those did not follow through. The X20 was eventually traded locally for a really nice Santa Cruz OMS that I knew I could sell pretty quick and I did just that.

The X7 was a different story. Right out of the gate I had a few people really interested both here and on Reverb but it just never happened. Over the last week I've started playing the X7 acoustically. I've never been able to get a really great amplified tone out of it that suited my playing style with two different pickup systems. But this past week I've been playing it WITH A PICK. I never play with a pick. I CAN'T play with a pick. Guess what? All of the sudden I can play with a pick. At least with the strummers. And guess what else? The X7 sounds great unplugged strummed with a pick.

So I've taken the X7 down and now I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet. I think I'm going to pull the pickup altogether and just make it my acoustic strummer. Perfect for busking and travel, parties and just general fun playing. I would have taken a beating since I bought it new and had so much customization done anyway. And now as we round the summer corner and begin the long, slow decline to winter I won't have to worry about a wood guitar. Although I have been getting a bit of the vintage bug...

Last edited by Methos1979; 08-20-2019 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Transactional feedback is prohibited.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Whew! That was close. While you can always buy another one, your Emeralds were custom made to your desires. Glad to hear the X7 is going to stay with you... seems like you two belong together.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-02-2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Edited accordingly.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

The Emerald X7 is now a fully acoustic instrument! I carefully removed the Schatten HFN Active system today and installed a strap button. Playing it with a pick sounds great - so loud! I wish I was better at the single note type stuff but as a strummer I can hold my own. Plenty of cowboy chord stummers in our setlist!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

My X7 is used acoustically about 99.734% of the time, approximately. I think it's an amazing sounding instrument acoustically. I don't like it as much plugged in, but I know absolutely nothing about how to get the best sound out of a plugged in acoustic, so I have no idea how good it could be.

Last edited by raysachs; 08-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Methos,

Your X7 is made for you and you will never find another one for the price you will settle for. I like the sound and feel of nylon but most of us grew up with steel string sound and memories that come with it. Excellent decision!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-03-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 08-07-2019, 01:50 PM

I have an X7 with a wide nut (the widest they make), strung with medium gauge strings, and play it fingerstyle (with thumb- and fingerpicks). Mine sounds fantastic.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Good decision Methos. I have regretted selling more often than not, because every single guitar was acquired for a specific reason. As posted in another thread just now, I spent a lot of time over the last week with one of our Version 1 X7's while on a trip, and really enjoyed it. Also glad to hear that your X20 sale was concluded satisfactorily.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

These things happen for a reason, I always think. Since deciding not to sell it and yanking out the pickup system, I've been playing the heck out of it with and without a pick and I've enjoyed more than I think I've ever enjoyed it before. Funny how things work out sometimes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber