The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Don’t like Rainsong guitar?

So I have always wanted to try a rainsong guitar as I travel a lot and busk in all sorts of temperatures and I have a chance to buy a used rainsong for a very very good value but to my disappointment I did not like the way it felt here’s why....

The action was to high (I do like low action) even though the neck is dead straight (has a trussrod) and the saddle looked like it couldn’t be sanded down to much so I don’t know how easy it would be to adjust

The 12 gauge strings on it felt much heavier like 13s maybe even 14s. Don’t know why this is it might have something to do with how thin the neck is

Plays fine at the top of the fretboard but the more you go down the fretboard the harder it is to play

I wish I liked this guitar for the amazing price it is and for it’s practicality

It is a red and black A WH-0000 with a cut away and a prefix guitar pick up and has a truss rod
Old 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM

Sounds like an Advanced-series guitar, which was a more affordable model Rainsong made for a few years and discontinued. It has very little in common with the current production Rainsong guitars, so you may want to check out a current production model.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM

My WS-1000 may have the lowest action I have ever had from a factory, and matches the lowest action of any of my guitars. As Mig50 say’s, you may wish to keep looking...
Old 01-28-2019, 03:20 PM

Yea cheers for that. I will keep looking
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM

The upside of CF guitars is that they never move. The down side is that they never move. If the action / neck angle isn't right from the very beginning it is pretty hard to do much to improve it.

The action on my 2001 built WS-1000 is as good as it gets, and has not changed perceptibly in the nearly 18 years that I've owned it. No truss rod on that one. I concur with you needing to look further before writing off the whole carbon fiber concept.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:02 PM

My shorty SG has the easiest, softest action of any acoustic I own, so I would definitely check out other Rainsongs before crossing the brand off your list.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

It may be a great price for a reason .... is that stating the obvious? LOL Rainsongs are great, check around.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:46 PM

I concur with the others. The one thing I think is most probable as a point of annoyance is the thickness of the neck. I think the "N2" design is what they tend to go with nowadays, and it's not the most comfortable of my humble collection of three guitars. I believe others have noted it's thickness as well.

If you're ever in Portland, OR, please feel free to drop by and play mine a bit. Or if you're in the Seattle area, that's their current home, and there's at least a couple of nearby shops that stock their stuff. I drove up there myself to play mine before I made the purchase.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 PM

If the action is too high and there is little room to sand the saddle down, the guitar has a neck angle problem. And being carbon fiber, it will always be a problem. If you can, return the guitar.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Sounds like an Advanced-series guitar, which was a more affordable model Rainsong made for a few years and discontinued. It has very little in common with the current production Rainsong guitars, so you may want to check out a current production model.
This.

I have played an AWS. It was heavy, and I was not generally impressed. Nothing like my WS3000, Shorty, or CH-PA
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-29-2019, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

I find my concert series parlor to be super comfortable and easy to play up and down the neck. great little guitar with big sound and great for traveling.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 AM

I also used to have an Advanced Series like the one you tried. Definitely don't sound as nice as the regular Rainsong models. Nice gig bag though!

Mine also had high action--I ended up having a neck reset done which helped.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
acoustic, carbon fibre, rainsong