The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Reading this forum is like teasing a recovering addict with crack.
HAHAHAHA - That was hilarious... mostly because its so true, but you had me LMAO.

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there (again) that I have sound clips of the Cargo if anyone wants them. Just PM me with your email and I'll get back to you quite promptly if you catch me while I'm at work shhhhhhh!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM

Yes, indeed. Just like crack. Take a drag it won't hurt LOL.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Default whats wrong with a little crack?

reread this thread and ordered mine this morning from Danny Brevard at acoustic pro musician. He appears to be greatly impressed by these little guitars and he is a very knowledgeable dealer. He is sold out now but has several on order so I prepaid for a wine color. OBTW - Danny is a great guy if you've never talked to him

'08 Maingard 000 (12 fret) BRW/Italian Spruce
'08 Bashkin 00 (12 fret) LS Redwood/MadRose
'01 De Jonge OM BRW/Sitka
'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcG View Post
HAHAHAHA - That was hilarious... mostly because its so true, but you had me LMAO.

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there (again) that I have sound clips of the Cargo if anyone wants them. Just PM me with your email and I'll get back to you quite promptly if you catch me while I'm at work shhhhhhh!

I sent you a PM with my email. Thanks! By the way -- I ordered one due in about 2 weeks with a couple extra saddles, but I still want those sound clips just to make me into that much more of a hopeless drooling imbecile.

Got it from the often-mentioned Danny Brevard of APM in Texas. Sounds like a very good guy.

Edit: I forgot to mention this in the throes of my sick addiction. (by the way, 2 waiting-for-a-Cargo-guitar weeks is the real life equivalent of 92 years). While I was talking to Danny, I mentioned that the 'finish' of the CA guitars looked a bit on the 'rough' side. I couldn't care less about how it looked, but any guitar that looks as if it might feel even slightly like cold-war-era Eastern-Bloc toilet paper shaped like a stealth bomber just might feel like sandpaper against your forearm as you're playing. Danny said that was a bit of a problem but one easily solved.

Apparently the finish on the guitar is 'textured', (maybe a CA owner can attest to this phenomenon), and I've already got thoughts in my head of wearing my inner right arm completely off and finishing gigs looking like a demonstration skeleton in an anatomy class. Just in case that is the case, I'm set to sand down that part of the finish with some fine-grit paper. I'm going to wear it out anyway so I may as well get a head start on it.

Last edited by mhs; 03-26-2008 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Its 3am. I have no good reason.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Apparently the finish on the guitar is 'textured', (maybe a CA owner can attest to this phenomenon), and I've already got thoughts in my head of wearing my inner right arm completely off and finishing gigs looking like a demonstration skeleton in an anatomy class. Just in case that is the case, I'm set to sand down that part of the finish with some fine-grit paper. I'm going to wear it out anyway so I may as well get a head start on it.
The guys at CA told me that they wet-sand the necks of their RT models to remove some of the texture (I have forgotten which grit); if you drop them an email, I'm sure they could tell you what they use, though I would imagine anything would work.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

It's not exactly sandpaper but is not smooth either. Kind of like the wall in your house. It won't show fingerprints like the gloss black ones do. They introduced the texture finish last year and it was rougher than this and it did not appear to be an integral part of the finish, instead it was more like some kind of covering. The new finish is smoother and more intentional looking.

When I was playing it I did note the finish could effect your sound. If you strum and drag your fingers you get a distining "shhhhsh" sound as they move over the top. It's easily controllable by lifting you fingers but it also so offers the potential as a rhythmic addition, something like a drummer playing with a brush.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the comments on the finish. That doesn't sound too bad. Most of the time I tend to wear something like a band (A toe-less sock) on my arm if I'm in short-sleeves while playing just to avoid wearing my inner arm out where it contacts the guitar.

If the back of the neck is coated with this stuff, then I'll just have to test-drive it and decide whether to smooth it a bit.

John: Thanks for the sound clips. I didn't realize the two small files were clips until I saved them as mp3's even though I've had them sent me by someone else. I finally listened to it. Really kind of cool for that little thing! I'm not sure why but the UST (Fishman Matrix) actually sounded good to me directly recorded. Usually the make me think of a pond of quacking ducks and a guitar strung with rubber bands when I hear one, but I didn't quite get that notion from the clip. I'm sure I'll find a setting that'll bring the ducks home.

Mick

Last edited by mhs; 03-26-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: sound clips
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM
"Big Daddy"

Here is a picture that I found:

Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Has anyone tried reaching into that crazy sound port on the Cargo with the hopes of getting under the bridge or even to the output jack?

I have this nightmarish vision of going to the ER with a Cargo firmly lodged on my arm next to the pit and being told I have to have the guitar surgically removed.

-

We'll probably require StewMac part #210018 ; Description: "CA Cargo arm remover for idiots that have attempted to change the pickup."
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 AM

If I am not mistaken, there is no truss rod in cargo CA guitar.

Will the tension of the strings cause the neck of the cargo bend in aging? If so how to adjust?

thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I mentioned that the 'finish' of the CA guitars looked a bit on the 'rough' side. I couldn't care less about how it looked, but any guitar that looks as if it might feel even slightly like cold-war-era Eastern-Bloc toilet paper shaped like a stealth bomber just might feel like sandpaper against your forearm as you're playing.
The ONLY complaint i have about the Cargo is not the roughness, but the fact that the edge is rather sharp on my right arm. I presume they could easily bevel the edge in that area; maybe someday they will. It has been less of a problem since i started playing it with a strap, however.

Quote:
Has anyone tried reaching into that crazy sound port on the Cargo with the hopes of getting under the bridge or even to the output jack?
I'm an average size guy who has reached in as far as the bridge -- tight fit, but doable and i was able to retrieve my arm & hand!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I have this nightmarish vision of going to the ER with a Cargo firmly lodged on my arm next to the pit and being told I have to have the guitar surgically removed.

-

We'll probably require StewMac part #210018 ; Description: "CA Cargo arm remover for idiots that have attempted to change the pickup."

I tried. Mine doesn't have the electronics and the strap button came loose and the hole was stripped. I tried reaching in to fix it but couldn't reach it. I had my very petite wife try and she too couldn't reach it. I contacted CA to see if it would be warranteed. They refused to say if it would be warranteed. They told me to superglue it and stopped answering my emails. Other than not being happy with their service I love my Cargo and I would love it more if I were able to use a strap with it.

Last edited by djphelan01; 02-11-2009 at 07:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber