The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps it is time to either change the thread title OR to start a new build thread titled Ed Claxton? In the future it will make it easier for someone looking for a build by Ed to find it. Just a thought...

Congratulations on your new commission...
Old 10-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your encouraging messages, guys! And yes, I’ll get a new thread started once the building gets underway.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Some very wise words above regarding comparing guitars and the relative merits of Traugotts and Claxtons.

I was told that Claxton and Traugott worked for Santa Cruz back in the day and when they set up as sole luthiers, their workshops were very close indeed. That might suggest some common DNA. What I will say on that topic is that the first time I played a Claxton, a cuban mahogany OM, I instantaneously thought of a Traugott; it was incredibly well-balanced and refined, clear, complex and responsive, and with a traditional edge - a lot of "wood" in the sound as well as string.

After having played a few of each (there aren't many of these Ferraris around!), I still think there are far more similarities between them than differences, given similar body shapes/woods (in the way that Somogyi and his apprentices share a common sonic signature). Indeed, if pushed, I think the biggest difference is simply the price. Claxton is a relative bargain. I have never heard a negative comment about Claxtons from anyone.

Probably the best mids and trebles I've ever heard were from a Claxton Malabar that a friend was selling. Astonishing. Had I not become enamoured by nylon instruments, that guitar would have been mine. Also goes to show that people sell "lifetime" instruments, often just for the sake of a change.

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Steve,

I posted this elsewhere, but just for fun, can you send me a message? I tried to contact you, but your mail box is full. I had some questions about your previous Traugott R

Thanks!
Vincent

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
traugott, traugott r