The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 04:45 AM

Default Yamaha AC5M Questions

After watching many videos and reviews I bought a Mint AC5M at a pretty decent price.

Guitar arrived and I tuned her up.

My first initial impression is the guitar is too warm. (aka not enough treble) This sounds like an all Hog guitar.
I have 2 other guitars with similar woods and they are so much brighter which I like. I do believe the strings are
Elixir 80/20's and I have a bunch of sets of Elixir Phosphor Bronzes so it would seem the guitar would become even
warmer if I swapped strings. Does that sound about right?

Also, is there a place online that folks have ordered a precut tusq or bone nut from for this guitar and had good luck with?
I have an old APX600 my wife bought me in the late 80's I use for the couch. Best couch guitar ever....lol.
That AC5M has string spacing even narrower than that.

I have a 14 return window and I don't want to modify until I know I can brighten up this guitar some.

Thanks

Last edited by Gary in MO; 04-01-2023 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:13 AM

The nut and saddle should be Tusq out of the box. I have an A5M. I swapped the nut and saddle over to bone and put in Tusq bridge pins. I use D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings. It's plenty bright.

I'll bet a fresh set of strings alone will brighten that guitar right up. I also own an AC3M Deluxe which is similar to the guitar you have. I've put a bone nut on it and ebony bridge pins. Again, it's plenty bright. It currently has D’Addario XS strings on it.

If you prefer the tone of a rosewood or maple guitar, I can see how one could find the mahogany A series Yamaha's to sound too warm. My wife comments all the time how warm my A5M sounds.

The Koa model is extremely balanced across the sound spectrum. I'm blessed to own an A4K too

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 04-01-2023 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:41 AM

Remember as soon as your finger hits the fretboard the nut material is irrelevant. Unless your songs are all on open strings.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:17 AM

Maybe an AC5R is more up your alley
Old 04-01-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Maybe an AC5R is more up your alley
Yeah - I thought of that too. I do have 2 other Sapale / Mahogany with sitka tops. Both are definitely brighter.

My plan was to sell one of them and keep the Yamaha ( No I don't want to keep all 3)

To YamahaGuy - I have to ask though - is there an online place to buy a new nut without taking this to a tech? My trusted tech retired and I really don't have much trust randomly picking one. I've had a few bad experiences.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MO View Post
Yeah - I thought of that too. I do have 2 other Sapale / Mahogany with sitka tops. Both are definitely brighter.

My plan was to sell one of them and keep the Yamaha ( No I don't want to keep all 3)

To YamahaGuy - I have to ask though - is there an online place to buy a new nut without taking this to a tech? My trusted tech retired and I really don't have much trust randomly picking one. I've had a few bad experiences.
I bought a 44mm bone nut off Amazon. It was pretty close right out of the bag.
Musiclily Pro 44mm Standard LP style Flat Bottom Bone Nut Compatible with USA Les Paul Electric Guitar, 44.07x4.98x9.30mm (2 Pieces) https://a.co/d/0sy1CuG
Old 04-01-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Watch for too-close string spacing on premade nuts. One of many reasons I have left the factory nuts on my Yamahas is that all the premade ones I have come across have string spacing narrower than the factory's. If anything I would want a tad wider string spacing.

I think replacing the Yamaha factory nut is, for many reasons, not worth the hassle.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I bought a 44mm bone nut off Amazon. It was pretty close right out of the bag.
Musiclily Pro 44mm Standard LP style Flat Bottom Bone Nut Compatible with USA Les Paul Electric Guitar, 44.07x4.98x9.30mm (2 Pieces) https://a.co/d/0sy1CuG
Got it - Thanks
Old 04-01-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Got it - Thanks
Oh no. I'm sorry. Too many Yamaha guitars. I forgot we're talking about the A series. I used the 44mm on my Taylor 324ce and Yamaha FGX5. The A series takes a 43mm nut.

Blisstime 2 Sets 4pcs 6 String Acoustic Guitar Bone Bridge Saddle and Nut Made of Real Bone https://a.co/d/gVgbR3H
Old 04-01-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Oh no. I'm sorry. Too many Yamaha guitars. I forgot we're talking about the A series. I used the 44mm on my Taylor 324ce and Yamaha FGX5. The A series takes a 43mm nut.

Blisstime 2 Sets 4pcs 6 String Acoustic Guitar Bone Bridge Saddle and Nut Made of Real Bone https://a.co/d/gVgbR3H
Yeah I thought something was funny with that. I didn't order anything yet. Still debating on whether I'm going to keep it. Thank you though.

I might go ahead and order one of those for my 1989 APX600. Same string spacing issue though not as bad as that AC5M. I think eventually the
neck is going to bend so far forward it will snap. But until then I really still enjoy noodling on that guitar.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah I thought something was funny with that. I didn't order anything yet. Still debating on whether I'm going to keep it. Thank you though.

I might go ahead and order one of those for my 1989 APX600. Same string spacing issue though not as bad as that AC5M. I think eventually the
neck is going to bend so far forward it will snap. But until then I really still enjoy noodling on that guitar.
Try some Aluminum Bronze Strings on it. They always helped my warm Martin to be decent.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:26 PM

I sent it back.

Like I mentioned, I have 2 other Mahogany / Sapale with Spruce guitars and the AC5M had 1/2 of the unplugged volume.
I thought that was strange.

After reading more on these guitars, I guess they were designed for more of an amplified stage presence.

But............now I'm looking at an AC3R and also the LS16. I know the AC3R will have less unplugged volume
but would like a complimentary rosewood guitar after thinking about it. The AC5M was expensive and I told
my wife I would sell one of my other guitars if I got it. With the LL16 or AC3M being less expensive, I'm going
to keep them all.

I can get a brand new LS16 for $809 so now I'm looking into that for sure.

This GAS for a Yamaha guitar is horrible.....absolutely horrible
Old 04-06-2023, 02:15 AM

The LS16 is a very nice instrument. I hope you find one that you can bond with.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I also have an AC3M dlx - very nice guitar, good sound system (albeit a little sensitive if you aren't paying attention), very well made. Although it is mahogany / spruce and sounds like it, I wouldn't call it too warm - in fact, I often have to throttle it back when plugged in to lessen the top end a bit. I use it for practice and playing out. I bought it primarily for fingerstyle as a complement to my Yairi WY1TS, and it works well for that. But for strumming and flatpicking, my D18 is better (of course).

In any case, good luck with the L series. They sound lovely with the Engleman tops.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
Watch for too-close string spacing on premade nuts. One of many reasons I have left the factory nuts on my Yamahas is that all the premade ones I have come across have string spacing narrower than the factory's. If anything I would want a tad wider string spacing.

I think replacing the Yamaha factory nut is, for many reasons, not worth the hassle.
And you are correct. I bought that set for my ‘89 APX and the string spacing is narrower. I still needed the pins though and possibly the saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion