The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Not all Gibsons (or Larrivees) are created equal, but when you hear a great Gibson, there is no denying that it's special. Descriptions often fall far short of the mark, but Gibsons have a dry, woody, earthy, booming sound when done right. I've never heard a Larrivee that sounds like a good Gibson. On the other hand, a Larrvee done well will have incredible balance, clarity, and sparkle, etc, and I've never heard a great Gibson that sounds like a great Larrivee. They are very different sounds. I've played a Larrivee for the past twenty-some years and much prefer its sound. YMMV.
It's the balance and clarity that I think of as "modern" characteristics. Taylors have it IMO even though the balance leans slightly into the trebles. Larrivees won't have that Taylor brightness thing.

The "earthy booming" sound is what I was referring to as either you like it or you don't in a classic Gibson L-00 tone. It's a distinct lack of balance and in most types of playing it can be taken as a lack of clarity.

Here's a link to a page (that I just happen to be familiar with) where a vintage 1936 Gibson L-00 is compared to a modern maker's "boutique" recreation of it with very similar specs and construction. The playing clips I think give a good feel for the nature of the classic L-00 tone, at least for this style of playing.

http://johnwalkerguitars.com/JWG1/BTLoloSp090.html
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 04-01-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroddy View Post
Hello. I'm seriously considering a Gibson L-00 because it's a smaller guitar. Larrivee is supposed to be a great guitar company. Can anyone tell me what they see as the differences between Gibson and a Larrivee? Thank you!
Welcome to the forum.

If you are considering the Gibson L-00, I assume the non-Studio version, you're looking at about $2K in costs. I think Larrivee is really close to that, so if you like the Gibson, buy it. If you are looking for a different tone, explore Larrivee.

Larrivee doesn't quite make an apples-to-apples comparable guitar, but I would say the options are the following:
1. An OO-40 body with mahogany back and sides. The difference will be in the spruce top vs. adi top. The 40 series has Scalloped Parabolic Hybrid, which makes it resonate a bit more and sound closer to a Martin.
2. An OO-03 OO-05, satin or gloss finish. This will have the X-brace that folks are speaking of when they say "balanced tone". It's not boomy, it's not shrill. It's BALANCED. This is what has made Larrivee famous among fingerpickers and folks that don't like hyped up lows or highs.
3. An OO-50, this would be the Rolls Royce of the Larrivee line up that compares to the Gibson L-00, but a little different. These are slotted head, traditional sound, resonant guitars made with master woods.

I also encourage you to try out the Martin CEO-7. Like you, I was in a similar quest looking for an OO resonant guitar that was comfortable and had a special tone. I was enamoured by the Gibson brand, but didn't like the quality. I played a CEO-7 and bought one new. Mind you - I am an avid Larrivee fan. If Larrivee had a comparable guitar, I would have gotten one.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroddy View Post
Hello. I'm seriously considering a Gibson L-00 because it's a smaller guitar. Larrivee is supposed to be a great guitar company. Can anyone tell me what they see as the differences between Gibson and a Larrivee? Thank you!
I'm betting you would find what you're looking for with a Martin CEO-7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion