The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't think it's appropriate to expect a luthier to finance a commission or a purchase. I'd suggest you find other means to manage your finances.
I don't think the OP's question amounted to an "expectation," and it's up to a luthier to deem any arrangement appropriate or inappropriate. If you don't have a recommendation, that's one thing. But the harsh tone seems wholly unnecessary. I'd suggest being nicer to strangers even when communicating from behind a keyboard.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
That said, the ask was clearly a here’s to hoping kind of request…most likely made by someone who isn’t deep into the hand built guitar world. There are different volumes of “no”, and no way to hear that with text. To be told “no” in any variation with what he was asking may of been deflating. Sure, he couldn’t be made to understand the standards or given some kind of tough truths…but why?
Thats fair and I got you. Pardon if I was sharp. Be well!

John
Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Very simple solution!! No-brainer!
You commission the guitar after you've picked out the luthier of your choice, obviously a good one, and they all have wait times!
You pay the deposit, and then you probably have a wait time of 2 years to build (or more). You make monthly payments to him via PayPal or whatever, and by the time he's ready to build it, you've already paid him the full price!!
That's what I did to get my Kopp...the two year wait list gave me time to get my funds together while I was waiting for my guitar to get built...
Old 03-29-2023, 09:16 AM

2 weeks since the initial post, 17 replies, no response from OP and we are now criticizing each other for the tone of our replies. Time to close the thread, if the OP comes back, there is plenty of info here for him/her.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop