The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
My second one was a brand-new Scissortail, which I think I got for $1700. For what they are, who made them, and how few similar options exist, they were a bargain.

...But when you find them for a good price? They are a great buy, in my opinion.
In late 2020 I purchased my Scissortail used in excellent condition for the same price as you paid for yours new. I was glad to get it at that price, especially since Waterloos have only gone up since then.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 06-18-2022, 07:02 PM

They are still building Waterloos!

Like I said earlier, the Waterloo Guitars facebook page has the latest builds and where they are heading....and a row of Waterloos being built in this photo.

BluesKing777

Last edited by BluesKing777; 06-18-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:16 PM

I have no mud if, or how long it will be until they’re in regular production again, but I’m just happy I snagged my WL-12mh in N hart of 2020. It’s small, light and easy-playing but punches way above its weight.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've played a couple of the Waterloos and although they have a better tone and improvements over the instruments they were designed to honor, they wouldn't be a choice for me.

There's nothing particularly magic in how they are made and I've often marveled at both their popularity and the fact that none of the other off shore producers haven't moved towards capturing some of their market.
What allot of people don't understand about the Waterloo guitars is that their sound has character and they are very responsive. Most other guitars sound like varying degrees of standard guitars. The problem with most copy cat productions is that they can't stop themselves from trying to make their guitars sound, at least a little, like standard guitars to acquire a larger market share. Thus missing the whole point. Though they understand the appearance idea. But there again not completely.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-19-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What allot of people don't understand about the Waterloo guitars is that their sound has character and they are very responsive. Most other guitars sound like varying degrees of standard guitars. The problem with most copy cat productions is that they can't stop themselves from trying to make their guitars sound, at least a little, like standard guitars to acquire a larger market share. Thus missing the whole point. Though they understand the appearance idea. But there again not completely.

That’s a really interesting take… never thought of that before.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:51 PM

That is an interesting take on the Waterloos!

I enjoy the description of the WL-14L on Folkways Music (sold):

The black and white ladder-braced Waterloo is built very much akin to a mid-1930's Kalamazoo KG-14. It features a spruce bridgeplate, protein-based glue, and a lightweight build of solid mahogany back and sides and spruce top. The construction is simple, just as the 1930's originals were, but the workmanship is all Collings. The guitar is beautifully built, right down to the saddle fit and fretwork.

The WL-14 sings with the focused low end and punchy midrange you'd hope it to; it's a top-notch ragtime and blues picker, but that's likely not a surprise!

In order to keep the pricing nice and low, the guitar is built with an unspecified spruce top (red, white, Sitka -- whatever they have is what gets used). The satin finish, although perfectly applied, is thin and not sanded or buffed out. The body features binding only on the top, and is without a rosette. The soundhole is bound, in keeping with tradition, and the aged white pickguard is the same shape as what you'd find on a 1930's Kalamazoo. The guitar's neck is built with a rosewood fingerboard and simple dots; and this version features an adjustable truss rod (although the model can be ordered with a T-bar reinforcement). Vintage style Stewart MacDonald Golden Age tuners, a silkscreened logo, and an ebony nut continue upon the vintage / budget theme.

The guitar plays, feels, and sounds astonishingly "right" for lack of a better term. Blindfolded you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference between this ladder-braced Collings WL-14L and a really good original Kalamazoo original. You will certainly notice a difference though -- thanks to the Collings' perfect set-up, and perfectly located frets. Unlike the Kalamazoo, the Collings WL-14 plays in tune, and plays easily.

Comfortable neck carve with a contemporary feel and manageable size. 1-3/4" nut width, 24-3/4" scale, 2-3/8" string spread at the bridge. Bone saddle, ebony bridge pins. L-00 size body, with a lower bout 14.25" across. Serial # 359.

All that and a nice hardshell case too.

And another for the WL-14X Aged:

With hardshell caseWaterloo’s Aged WL-14X features a weathered and checked 80-year-old looking finish without any mechanical playwear. It’s a gorgeous thing that even appeals to those who don’t generally dig the look of a ‘relic’ finish. When Collings takes on a task they work harder than anyone to perfect it before releasing it – such is the case with their aged finish process.

The guitar is otherwise a standard WL-14X with the optional smaller-feeling neck carve (which still feels vintage, but is more manageable in the hands of most players). 1-3/4” neck, 2-3/8” string spread at the saddle, 24.75” scale. Mahogany back and sides with X braced spruce top, ebony bridge with bone saddle, rosewood fingerboard.

A punchy and warm guitar that’s an awful lot like a mid 1930s Gibson L-00 in tone, looks, and feel.

My version : I like it.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
They are still building Waterloos!

Like I said earlier, the Waterloo Guitars facebook page has the latest builds and where they are heading....and a row of Waterloos being built in this photo.

BluesKing777
Those are back orders that were in the cue before the pandemic. No new orders are being taken.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:10 AM

Maybe so but it sure was a lot of work getting that Waterloo photo from the Facebook page to here! It won’t copy, it wouldn’t do anything unless I signed in and copied it to my laptop and then loaded it to Imgur and copied it to here. And now they are hacking my bank, I suppose

BluesKing777.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:39 AM

A large dealer and someone who is very tuned into the industry told me on the weekend they will only make 50 Waterloo guitars this year.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

As someone with a ton of vintage experience, the Waterloos are the best recreation of all. They are much more true to vintage than, say, the Martin Authentic Series. I’ve owned 4 Kalamazoo KG-11s, 3 KG-14s, and currently have a mint 1933 KG-11 Senior and a 1935 L-0. My WL-12 fits right in and definitely feels and sounds the part. They were a steal when I bought mine for $1800 out the door, but now they’re closer to $3,000 and so rare that most likely no deals are to be had. They are still worth it to me.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:01 AM

bsman, I'm 100% with you re the WL-12Mh. Love mine, it's a keeper, as they say.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:11 PM

I searched for months for my WL-K, then one appeared an hour from my house, very lucky.
It's a very interesting guitar, full of life.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I appreciated this take as well.

I’ve found there is something magical about Waterloos. The light build and thin finish certainly contribute but the end result seems more than the sum of parts.

Once they’ve been played in a bit they’re so responsive and clear some chords almost breathe with you. I’m glad these oddball critters exist.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyB View Post
I searched for months for my WL-K, then one appeared an hour from my house, very lucky.
It's a very interesting guitar, full of life.
Nice WL-K, congrats on the find. Those are amazingly light
Old 06-21-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

So, the history of Waterloo guitars may become. While Bill was alive, after Bill passed, pre and post Covid and the move to a new shop. Someday we can discuss the varying aspects of Waterloo guitars.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion