The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 07:56 AM
Guest 61722

Default NGD@DH and Limited Anecdotal Experience w/Guitars and Flying

New Guitar Day @ Dad's House!

I've just come back from a visit with my dad in San Diego. He picked me up at the airport and we went straight to Guitar Center (as I had requested). I was planning to pick up an inexpensive guitar to leave at his house so I will have one to play when I'm visiting. And, also, I'm hoping he might get curious enough to pick it up and give it a strum at some point. He's 80, but you are never to old to start learning how to play.

I tried a Yamaha F335 and for $159, I thought that's not a bad guitar, but it does not have a solid top. I asked for an FG800 and they had one in stock. I compared the two, ended up with the FG800 for $229. My dad would not let me pay for it! So on my one year Guitar-versary, my dad bought me a guitar. It is now officially my favorite guitar of all time.

But here's why. Even if my dad hadn't insisted on buying it for me, I cannot get over how nice it is! No caveats. No "it's nice for a student guitar," "for a cheap guitar," "for a MIC guitar," "for a beginner guitar." It's just plain NICE. The finish is perfect. It sounds great. It's feels great. The action and intonation are perfect. The tuners are nice. It's got a really pretty tone and it's a joy to play. I don't know if I just lucked into a good one, or if they are all this good. It was so good I wanted to bring it home, even though I don't need it here. Then I'd have to buy another one for my next visit to San Diego, so I ended up leaving it there.

I saw several people traveling with guitars this time. A guy strolling through Oakland airport with a 3/4 size guitar case. A guy in San Diego with a full size one. I asked the San Diego person if he'd carried his guitar on the plane and he said yes. He always flies Southwest b/c he can carry it on and a full size guitar in a nice, well-padded gig bag fits in the overhead bin of a 737. He said he's been doing it for years, never had a problem.

On the return flight, I confirmed this with the flight attendant. A full size guitar in a case (or gig bag) will fit in the overhead bin. The flight attendant suggested getting in the A boarding group, which you would have to pay a few extra bucks for, and it wouldn't be a problem.

What could be a problem is if you have to fly a long distance on a 737. They are a pretty bare bones aircraft, but for the security and convenience of having my guitar right there with me, it might be worth it. The other wrinkle with flying Southwest, and there are a few, is if you want to fly across the US, you'd have to take several connecting flights and it would take much longer than just going on one non-stop.

If I ever tried to do this, I might use a hard case, even for the overhead bin. Someone else might try to put a suitcase in there, and I would not want that banging around with a guitar that was only protected by a gig bag, even a good one.

Can anyone else add to this limited anecdotal experience re: flying or Yamaha FG800s?
Old 04-01-2023, 08:35 AM

With regard to the FG800, I picked one up used. I was pretty astonished at the overall quality. For my ears, the tone was too bright, so I moved it on.

I solved my airplane issues by purchasing Journey Overhead guitars. The first was a wooden parlor sized model that was pretty good. I sold it in favor of the carbon fiber OF660 model, which I can keep on my boat even when summer gets very hot and humid.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
A guy in San Diego with a full size one. I asked the San Diego person if he'd carried his guitar on the plane and he said yes. He always flies Southwest b/c he can carry it on and a full size guitar in a nice, well-padded gig bag fits in the overhead bin of a 737. He said he's been doing it for years, never had a problem.

On the return flight, I confirmed this with the flight attendant. A full size guitar in a case (or gig bag) will fit in the overhead bin. The flight attendant suggested getting in the A boarding group, which you would have to pay a few extra bucks for, and it wouldn't be a problem.
This is exactly what I’ve been doing for years as well. With a full-size hardshell case. Southwest has a well deserved reputation as guitar friendly.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 AM

Those FG800, 830, etc. are terrific guitars. Nice solid top and well made. Can't ask for more than that!
Old 04-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
This is exactly what I’ve been doing for years as well. With a full-size hardshell case. Southwest has a well deserved reputation as guitar friendly.
I might have to do a little experiment. Maybe I will swap out the Sigma DM-4 for the Yamaha FG800 next time I go to San Diego. I'm not ready to put the 000-18 into the overhead bin of any airplane, however I would be willing to buy it a seat in first class. It would definitely get priority for the nicer seat.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Those FG800, 830, etc. are terrific guitars. Nice solid top and well made. Can't ask for more than that!
I was really, pleasantly surprised. And my dad even commented on how nice it sounds, anecdotally speaking.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Great story with your dad, Janine. Congrats on your new Yamaha! Thanks for sharing your flying experiences, good stuff to know.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-01-2023, 11:10 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
I might have to do a little experiment. Maybe I will swap out the Sigma DM-4 for the Yamaha FG800 next time I go to San Diego. I'm not ready to put the 000-18 into the overhead bin of any airplane, however I would be willing to buy it a seat in first class. It would definitely get priority for the nicer seat.
Fear not. As you can see in my sig all of my guitars are pricey. And I would never pony up a ticket for them. I travel with them is a Hiscox Pro II and in the rare occasion that even with early boarding there’s no room in the bins worse case is gate check. Which a sturdy travel case can handle.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:49 AM

I got an FG800 a few months ago. I love it and think it's a great guitar. I've owned and do own more expensive acoustics, but this one makes me want to pick it up and play it just as much as those did/do. And, this one has as much its own unique tone and character as those did. I think it sounds especially good fingerpicked.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:21 PM

I have owned three of the older model the FG730 series, and they were all terrific guitars. I have not had a chance to play the newer 800 series but I know I would like them based on the 700 series, which were really fine guitars. I now own a vintage L20A, which though very worn, is a really wonderful guitar.

All I can say, is if you like the 800 series Yammies, you will really be amazed if you ever get a chance to play one of the higher end vintage L series Yamaha's from the 70's/80's, like the L15/20A/25 or even the earlier versions from the late 60's/early 70's like the FG700/1000/1200/1500, FG2000/2500/4000 series MIJ instruments...or...the current new MIJ LL26/36/56 series guitars.

Then...there are the MIJ full on custom shop guitars, like John Denver's L-53.

Yamaha makes just remarkable guitars at all their price points, but most of the upper end models, no one in America has ever seen, let alone played, so I hope that you get a chance to try some of them at some point.

The gang at Yamaha has it goin on big time...always has...which is a big part of why I am hopeful for Guild, now that Yamaha owns them.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-01-2023, 01:44 PM

I've flown a lot with guitars and have never once had an issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion