The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2023, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Default 2-mic XLR mixer?

Mic/gear question.

I have a Loudbox Mini: one XLR mic input and one 1/4” instrument input. I’d like to be able to use it with one guitar and TWO mics, probably SM58s. Is there a simple 2-in/1-out mixer that can take the two XLR mic inputs and mix them into a single XLR output that would then go into the Loudbox XLR input?

Does this unit do that? It looks like it could take three mics (I don’t expect to need that):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...&smp=ba_f1_lar

Trying to see if the Loudbox can handle one guitar and two singers. Is this feasible? What’s the best way?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-31-2023, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Well, this’ll do it

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_effects.html

But what you really want is something like this

https://evolutionmusicstore.com/prod...splitter-mixer

EDIT: I initially could not get your link to work, but now I have. Yes, that looks like what you need. As to whether the Loudbox mini can handle it, depends on the volume. But I have one; these are pretty robust little amps.

Last edited by Nymuso; 03-31-2023 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Mic/gear question.

I have a Loudbox Mini: one XLR mic input and one 1/4” instrument input. I’d like to be able to use it with one guitar and TWO mics, probably SM58s. Is there a simple 2-in/1-out mixer that can take the two XLR mic inputs and mix them into a single XLR output that would then go into the Loudbox XLR input?

Does this unit do that? It looks like it could take three mics (I don’t expect to need that):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...&smp=ba_f1_lar

Trying to see if the Loudbox can handle one guitar and two singers. Is this feasible? What’s the best way?
Hi b1j
Passive break out boxes (at least two have been shown/suggested thus far) are subtractive only when it comes to volume. You cannot boost the level beyond what the passive signal of the mic or instrument are. This makes them not-very-useful for mixing.

In other words, you cannot turn them up beyond the level of what their volume would be if you plugged them straight into the amp.

A powered mixer allows you to boost, cut and affect tone of the instruments, or mics, plugged into it.

A larger issue is how much signal you can 'get-away-with' or how the tone will be projected and affected when put through an acoustic amp is hard to judge without trying it. Compare the size of your Loudbox Mini with an actual PA speaker…each is built for a different purpose.

It functions and sounds better to run instruments through PA speakers than mics through guitar amps (acoustic or electric).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-31-2023, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I was very recently in the same boat - looking for an inexpensive and relatively simple solution to get two mics into one output so as to be able to have two mics and one guitar play through my Bose S1 Pro. I was looking at the little Mackie and Yamaha powered mixers on Amazon that were below $200.

So then I went to Reverb to check out some prices there and found a little Mackie 3rd generation powered mixer (currently at 4th gen for new) in mint condition for $65 shipped. Here's the one I bought:

Mackie 402-VLZ3 4-Channel Mic / Line Mixer 2008 - 2014 - Dark Gray

Just got it and it will fit the bill perfectly. I'd check out some used solutions there. The one I just bought is so much better than what you are considering and for less money!
Old 04-01-2023, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Behringer Xenyx 802. There's probably a used one for sale on your local CL or in a GC near you .
Old 04-01-2023, 09:02 AM

A note of caution about the Behringer small format mixers, particularly used.
The ones a few of my friends have purchased developed problems with the power connector. The Behringer mixers used a proprietary connector that could not be repaired easily so it became cost ineffective to fix the problem.

I'd probably go with a different brand.

I like the ART stuff for being pretty bulletproof. The USBMix4 is designed to be buss powered from its usb connection but also can be powered from the usb supply that comes with it.

ART USBMix4 small format dual XLR mixer

The 5v usb supply is so common that many of us have extras thrown in a drawer somewhere. I'm sure this could be powered from one of the external usb 5v battery packs, too.

The Mackie would be a good choice, as well. It has an easier to find 12v power adapter requirement for powering it.

Do be aware that if you purchase a passive mixer that the mics will normally both be substainially reduced in volume. It's the price you pay for mixing passively, unfortunately.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-01-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:10 AM

I have a AT8681 UniMix which works great, requires phantom power though.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at8681
Old 04-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

If you don't need to control the volume separately, something like this would work for you. I use it to run two mics into my Bose S1 for assisted living gigs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c780--Ins...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-02-2023, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile Im with Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
If you don't need to control the volume separately, something like this would work for you. I use it to run two mics into my Bose S1 for assisted living gigs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c780--Ins...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you have two matching mics and the singers pay attention a good Y cord should do the job. Get two, just in case…

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

A Yamaha mg06 maybe?
Old 04-03-2023, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
If you have two matching mics and the singers pay attention a good Y cord should do the job. Get two, just in case…

Paul
Paul you made me laugh out loud as this is just what I did-I haven't needed the second one, but you never know....
Old 04-03-2023, 07:02 AM

I was in the identical situation. A Yamaha MGO6X was the perfect solution. Great pre-amps. Built in Reverb OR Delay. Extra inputs for keys or another guitar. Stereo or mono output. A seamless match with the Loudbox Mini into its XLR mic input. $139.
Eastman sb57
Victoria 35210
Fender American Professional Precision Bass
Fender Rumble 40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification