The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-19-2023, 09:11 AM

Default Richard Thompson!

Had the great experience Friday night to see Richard Thompson in concert. Wow.....a legend and a phenomenal guitarist and song writer. We sat in about the 4th row......just he and his guitar, an old Lowden that had a huge crack in the lower bout!! No matter, the sound through his system was incredible, especially in his lower tunings toward low C.....he moved between several tunings through out the evening.
Each of his tunes also seem to carry a master guitar accompaniment that flows with his song. In many cases the guitar sections alone could be individual instrumentals, but of course he adds his vocal, lyrics and style. Needless to say my wife has a new favorite!
Some distance into the concert, he said, "Time for some harmony" and a female singer came on stage. A very nice change up to keep the last portion of the evening fresh.
He played for two hours straight......and did two songs after finishing with the audience yelling for more.
A surprise was the range and power of his voice. The "lows" were always known, but he really hit high notes powerfully as well. And, he's really funny and quick with comments to the audience who were right with him the whole way.
Overall, a wonderful evening seeing this legend and enjoying his powerful sound. See him if you can!!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-19-2023, 09:14 AM

Lucky you !
He’d be on my very short list of musicians that I’d make a serious effort to see.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:46 AM

Good for you! I've seen him a number of times solo acoustic, with the power trio, with his son Teddy, and even the full band the year after the infamous Shoot Out The Lights" tour.

Every year he's become more comfortable as a front man and more engaging with the audience.

Another interesting thing about his solo acoustic performances is that he has changed up the embellishments for every song I've heard multiple times. So many other performers just have an autopilot way of performing their major hits, RT has a basic framework and goes on from there.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Had the great experience Friday night to see Richard Thompson in concert. Wow.....a legend and a phenomenal guitarist and song writer. We sat in about the 4th row......just he and his guitar, an old Lowden that had a huge crack in the lower bout!! No matter, the sound through his system was incredible, especially in his lower tunings toward low C.....he moved between several tunings through out the evening.
Each of his tunes also seem to carry a master guitar accompaniment that flows with his song. In many cases the guitar sections alone could be individual instrumentals, but of course he adds his vocal, lyrics and style. Needless to say my wife has a new favorite!
Some distance into the concert, he said, "Time for some harmony" and a female singer came on stage. A very nice change up to keep the last portion of the evening fresh.
He played for two hours straight......and did two songs after finishing with the audience yelling for more.
A surprise was the range and power of his voice. The "lows" were always known, but he really hit high notes powerfully as well. And, he's really funny and quick with comments to the audience who were right with him the whole way.
Overall, a wonderful evening seeing this legend and enjoying his powerful sound. See him if you can!!!!
That sounds like a proper RT show. The other singer was likely his wife? partner? Zara Phillips. http://www.zaraphillips.net/

We haven't seen Richard in several years, but have tickets for a show in Cincinnati in a a few months.

D.H.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:50 AM

Yes! Every show I've ever seen by him has been rewarding.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-19-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
That sounds like a proper RT show. The other singer was likely his wife? partner? Zara Phillips. http://www.zaraphillips.net/

We haven't seen Richard in several years, but have tickets for a show in Cincinnati in a a few months.

D.H.
Thanks for that info! I had wondered if this were case and thought I saw a wedding or engagement ring that she wore. And yes, there was a chemistry between them that spoke to this as well.

Thanks again!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN