The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Default SC-13e Truss Rod Adjustment

I'm under the impression that the truss rod for the SC-13e is 4mm allen, and the adjustment is inside the sound hole beside the intonation adjustment. I inserted my 3 1/4" long allen wrench in there, and I don't hit anything. Is the truss rod locate WAY inside that hole? I've got some slight buzzing on the E and B strings and thought I'd give it a tweak. Any ideas before I call Martin?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceroo View Post
I'm under the impression that the truss rod for the SC-13e is 4mm allen, and the adjustment is inside the sound hole beside the intonation adjustment. I inserted my 3 1/4" long allen wrench in there, and I don't hit anything. Is the truss rod locate WAY inside that hole? I've got some slight buzzing on the E and B strings and thought I'd give it a tweak. Any ideas before I call Martin?
Yes, it is WAY inside the hole, and 4mm is the correct size.

How is your humidification? A friend of mine was having the same problem with his SC-13e a few weeks ago. We’re in the Colorado mountains at 9700’, so indoor winter humidity gets REALLY low. He typically services his humidifiers twice a week, but he was out of town for about 10 days and the guitar appeared dried out to me. I recommended - before trying any mechanical adjustments - to get the guitar back in balance, humidity-wise. As of last night, he reports the guitar is now back to normal.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your reply. I've never had a problem with any of my acoustic guitars (and I've had a lot of 'em) changing with the weather. I've never even had to use any humidifiers in the cases. I live about an hour south of Pittsburgh. We've had more rain than snow this year, but my furnace has been running a good bit, drying things out. I got the guitar about a year ago, and the buzzing started a couple weeks ago. I'll take your advice and wait a while longer since spring is coming quick and the humidity will no doubt change.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Are you using the supplied Martin Deluxe gig bag or a hard case? I (and my friend) keep ours in the Martin Deluxe gig bag (which is better than most gig bags for controlling humidity), but it does require more frequent attention than a hard shell case.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:56 PM

Yes thanks, I'm using the gig bag.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:47 PM

Can I ask you what issue are you seeing? I have an SC-13e and the action is high. I live in Australia so not that many Luthiers around that have worked with an Sc-13e. getting the shims is the main issue.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:32 PM

I've had it for about a year, and the high E and B strings are as close to the frets as you can get. They both have some rasp to the sound when fretted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair