The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 07:02 PM

I had to do this once. I grabbed a cheap 12 fret slothead Regal parlor,and threw on a set of Grover Champions. I did not sweat the fact that the Grovers were not friction tuners, that the position marker on the board was at the 9th fret or whatever.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Yeah! Beat me to it. A friend of mine got one of these...I think it was a re-pack or scratch & dent or something because he only paid about $300 bucks for his. Really surprisingly nice and playable little guitar with boatloads of vintage mojo...and do I remember correctly that these are all-solid top, back & sides? Sure sounded like it.

His is a darker stain than the guitar in the pics. I just checked around and these are sadly discontinued, but there are a few used ones out there.
I once saw and played a all laminate Oscar Schmidt version of this new for $300. Didnt sound all that great but for the OPs needs one could be a good option if one turned up. Oscar Schmidt being distributed by Washburn, maybe some mom and pop Washburn dealer has one. The one I tried was at Guitar Sam in VT but was sold the last time I went in.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Forgot about this - a buddy of mine has one that sounds really good, has an 1890's parlor vibe with a modern-feeling neck (unlike the Washburn), and if your budget is tight at $237 it should be right up your alley:

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu.../parlor-guitar

Old 10-19-2019, 08:02 AM

I have no idea of the price of these old Hofner lute guitars from the seventies, but I imagine they'd be outa your range, but the perfect thing for you.

-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 10-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
I have no idea of the price of these old Hofner lute guitars from the seventies, I imagine they'd be outa your range, but the perfect thing for you.

Seen a few of those at Renaissance Fairs over the years, Lark in the Morning still offers a similar instrument @ ~$700 - but I think the OP has something more Queen Victoria than Queen Elizabeth I (as well as less expensive) in mind...
Old 10-19-2019, 01:59 PM

How about a cheap Harmony variant. Check out a pawn shop, you could steel wool rid the image. Obviously this one isn't playable.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Luna has a slot head, nylon string, 3/4 size travel guitar. It has a darker satin finish. I believe the model was Safari.

Best part is it fits one of your criteria well, cheap. Only $169 with gig bag. I played a few Luna's however none fit what I was looking for.

Check out their website just might be the ticket.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion