The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Another string gauge/string action thread

Over the years, I've experimented with gauges a lot due to chronic wrist pain that comes and goes, usually landing on 12-54 "lights" and trying to fine tune the setup of the guitar as much as possible for ease of playability. But I had ended up with action so low that I finally realized I was losing volume and some tone quality.

So recently I switched to 11-52 custom lights and put some shims under the saddle to get the action back up a bit. Iirc, I've landed at about 4/64" at the 12th fret on the treble E, and a bout 6/64" on the low E.

Those of you who use 11s, where do you keep your action? Just curious what works for other folks, and if you feel like you're trading volume/tone for playablity or if you feel like any tone differences from lighter strings can be balanced by a different setup...

For reference, my guitar is an Alvarez-Yairi DY-52.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 AM

Welp, I think raising the action helped. I mean, I can still “hear” that it’s got 11s on it, but I suspect that’s because I already know that and am specifically listening for it. I don’t think it’s too thin and plinky. Obvi, 12s would sound a little fuller, but for being able to play leads without demolishing my poor wrist, maybe it’s a fair trade?

Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Fwiw, here’s an older vid with 12s and lower action. Hard to tell over YouTube, of course, but I think the new setup with the 11s at least holds its own, tone-wise.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 PM

First I’d like to say I enjoyed your playing. I’d say I preferred the tone from the higher strings with the 11s set and the bass tone more with the 12s set. Your playing was better overall with the lighter set. Only you can decide if that’s because the 11s are that much easier for you to play or something else.
Overall I preferred the track with 11s, both because I preferred your playing on that track and because I prefer articulate highs to a nice growly bass. Edit growly not grisly. Stupid autocorrect.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-17-2019, 02:09 PM

DR Sunbeam 12's. Set string action as normal and adjust neck relief to taste for feel and sound. The round core allows the windings to move a little more freely and thus less stiff feeling. But the sound... One some guitars it can we "wow". [I didn't like the sound with your 11's. Sorry.] I think the Sunbeams can sound fuller and richer than your example with the 12's. Only $6.79 at Strings and Beyond (make sure you get the correct gauge in their drop-down menu). https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dr-...2-m-12-54.html
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-17-2019, 08:32 PM

I use mainly .11s and set it to 2.5mm on Low E string and 2.0 mm on High E string

When i use .12s i set it slightly lower at around 2.35 something at the Low E
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 PM

I've gone down incrementally from 13s to 10s on my Taylor dread.
It has helped my arthritic fingers and, believe it or not, the sound hasn't suffered from using the 10s.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
DR Sunbeam 12's. Set string action as normal and adjust neck relief to taste for feel and sound. The round core allows the windings to move a little more freely and thus less stiff feeling. But the sound... One some guitars it can we "wow". [I didn't like the sound with your 11's. Sorry.] I think the Sunbeams can sound fuller and richer than your example with the 12's. Only $6.79 at Strings and Beyond (make sure you get the correct gauge in their drop-down menu). https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dr-...2-m-12-54.html
Good suggestion, best guitar related experience for me this year.
DR Sunbeam Lights 12-54

Round-cores - read the installation instructions!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Thanks for Info

That's video really informative. I appreciate your skills. Thanks for sharing @draelyc

Last edited by lissa; 10-20-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 PM

I noticed the difference right away, even with lower action the guitar was louder, and it's tone was much fuller the higher strings were clearer and more depth to your leads. If the 11's are easier for you to play, and you are satisfied with the sound then keep them on. JMO but I heard the 12's , they were louder, and a fuller overall sound.....wihich they should be. Just curious, was your input of the guitar the same, were you mic'ed or usind a direct box or preamp, or going sraght into a mixer.......these are all the things you can adjust regarding the tone so give some thought to that as well. My vote is the 12's and lower action. I'm also using 12's and my bass side at the 12th fret is 6/64ths and high e side 4/64ths as well
Old 10-19-2019, 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, y’all! As I said before, I could hear a difference, myself, for sure — not just in the room but when I listened back to these vids, too. That said, I do wonder if some of the volume and fullness differences had to do with the fact that in the vid with the 11s, the guitar was so much farther away from the camera than it was in the 12s vid. So, having gotten that wild hair, I slapped a set of Earthwood 11-54s back on — after removing the shims I’d put under the bridge, and did another quick vid. . Without the shims, the action is the same on this acoustic as it is on my electrics — 1.5mm on the high E and a molecule over 2.0mm on the low E. With my wrist the way it is, I have to set the action that low to be able to play the 12s. :o

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion