The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 AM

Default Slotted Headstock Tuner winding direction

I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but I’m pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 AM

All strings should wind over the top of each post.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Johnson View Post
I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but I’m pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?

Yep, that’s how they are and it’s a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, I’d expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM

On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Yep, that’s how they are and it’s a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, I’d expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.
Yes that confused the heck out of me. I have a slotted headstock 12 string guitar that I was used to, then last year got two ukuleles with friction tuners where I tend to turn the tuners in the "wrong" direction ...
Old 11-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.
Thank you for clearing this up. I can’t see how any of the tuners could wind any other way than over the top and way from the Nut, as mentioned in an above post.

I’m curious why they have been designed in this fashion. It lends to the numerous other forum questions that start “I’ve restrung the wrong way, does it matter?”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
restringing, slotted headstock, tuning up