The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Default How to get more humidity in my case?

I'm currently using a Music Nomad sound hole humidifier for my HD-28, which I'm keeping in the original hardshell case. It usually works well enough, but it's been really dry lately, especially in the room I keep and play my guitar in (it's in the unfinished basement... I have a baby and limited space). I've only been able to keep it around 38-40% humidity, but it sounds better a bit wetter. What else can I use to humidify my guitar? There is not much room in the Martin case, unfortunately. Do you think an Oasis humidifier would fit next to the neck?

Thanks, everybody!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM

I like to keep the humidity where you are already at.
No need to go higher.

If you do still want to raise it though, you can make a humidifier out of a plastic travel soap dish and a kitchen sink sponge.
Drill several small holes in the top of the soap dish and cut the sponge to fit the soap dish.
Use distilled water and I like to add a cap full of chlorine to a gallon of water for mold protection.

The soap dish fits under the headstock of the guitar when it's inside the case.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Is the Music Nomad drying out quickly? If not, I'm sure your reading of 40% is inaccurate, at least inside the guitar. It's either too dry, and the humidifier will dry out quickly, or not.

The suggestion for another in case humidifier, hand-made or not, is okay, as long as you're not pushing the humidity too far. Either way, place the 2nd humidifier up near the guitar head.

Sometimes the case itself is very dry and it sucks up the inside-case humidifier moisture along with the guitar - you might need to just stay on top of it until the case equalizes, too.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
If you do still want to raise it though, you can make a humidifier out of a plastic travel soap dish and a kitchen sink sponge.
Drill several small holes in the top of the soap dish and cut the sponge to fit the soap dish.
Use distilled water and I like to add a cap full of chlorine to a gallon of water for mold protection.

Was just about to suggest this. The soap dish fits under the headstock compartment with plenty of room left over. I even put a piece of velcro and stuck it to the wall of the headstock compartment, perpendicular to the neck, and you can carry it around and it'll stay put.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Was just about to suggest this. The soap dish fits under the headstock compartment with plenty of room left over. I even put a piece of velcro and stuck it to the wall of the headstock compartment, perpendicular to the neck, and you can carry it around and it'll stay put.
I, too, have used this method at times and would only caution you to make sure the sponge is not too saturated (I was a little careless of this just one time, which is once too often).
Old 11-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks, everybody!

I don't think the sponge/soapdish combo will fit in my case, unfortunately. It's pretty tight. My existing humidifier does dry out after a few days, and it lasts longer and works better upstairs. I wonder if my case just doesn't seal very well?

In my experience, my HD-28 sounds a bit better aroud 45-50%. It got up to 48% when I left the case closed and upstairs for several days, but it dropped again by the next day after I brought it down to my playing area. Maybe I will try to fit an Oasis in the case, too.

Any other ideas are appreciated!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Poke holes in a ziplock bag.
Insert damp sponge.
Put in guitar body or in case.

If you need more humidity add another.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Humidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post

I've used this method for decades and have never had a humidity related issue.

This year I'm going to try water beads instead of a sponge though. I want to see if the water beads can go longer between "refreshes" compared to the sponges that I've been using.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM

Hmm, maybe I should just try the ziploc bag approach. It shouldn't be too much risk if it's not too wet, right?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
Hmm, maybe I should just try the ziploc bag approach. It shouldn't be too much risk if it's not too wet, right?
Open ziploc with damp sponge at the headstock should do it. I use one, plus Oasis stick in the sound hole, in the high Rockies where RH is usually less than 35%. RH measurement inside case at the headstock is 40-45%.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Open ziploc with damp sponge at the headstock should do it. I use one, plus Oasis stick in the sound hole, in the high Rockies where RH is usually less than 35%. RH measurement inside case at the headstock is 40-45%.
As zmf says, do the do-it-yourself route or buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Herco-4536000...H4S5AXNBRFFRX4

These are also great for soundhole. They're easy to fill and cheap and the sponges are better than similar ones with styrofoam type filler that get hard and stop absorbing water over time. https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...H4S5AXNBRFFRX4
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
.....My existing humidifier does dry out after a few days, and it lasts longer and works better upstairs. I wonder if my case just doesn't seal very well?....
Guitar cases don't seal all that well, unless they are something like the Calton or SKB i-Series, with good gaskets. The plywood case itself and the fur lining absorbs water too. Until all that gets to moisture equilibrium, your case humidifier will dry out pretty quickly.

Humid air is less dense than dry air, and will naturally migrate upstairs, just like warm air. While basements are usually considered "damp" they are often cooler too. For the same water content per cubic foot of air, cooler = higher RH. Warmer air can hold a lot more water vapor, hence lower RH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I've used this method for decades and have never had a humidity related issue. This year I'm going to try water beads instead of a sponge though. I want to see if the water beads can go longer between "refreshes" compared to the sponges that I've been using.
I tried water beads after reading Fazool's most excellent post on the topic. Water beads last at least 3X as long as the dampened household sponges that I had been using for many years. Consider me a convert. Be a little careful about how big you make the holes in your soap dish. Soaked water beads start out at about 5/8" diameter, but dried out water beads get smaller than BB's (.177"). I used some of the wife's old nylons as a breathable containment bag to keep the beads inside the soap dish

We formerly lived in Alaska, where we ran 8-10 gallons per day through the cabinet humidifier -- and then only got the house up to 20-25% RH during the winter. Wish I had known about the water beads a long time ago.... I had to re-wet the damp sponges every week, in every instrument case.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

The Ziploc bag with holes in it and a piece of damp sponge will work fine if you don't have room for any sort of plastic container up by the headstock... I would NOT recommend leaving that Ziploc bag "open" while it's in the case with a damp sponge in it, however!

About a small piece of sponge in a container up by the headstock? Realize that you can use ANY plastic container that will fit, doesn't have to be a soap container. I have never gone out and actually PURCHASED a soap container for this application, always just used some shallow plastic containers, then poked holes in the lid... works just fine to give the neck "a drink", especially along with something in the soundhole...

I used to own one of those 70's Martins in the fancy blue/gray case that looks SO cool when you get it... and then realize that it doesn't seal worth beans, that the lid has a habit of closing when you don't want it to... but that thing still had room for a shallow container with a piece of sponge in it... check it out!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:26 PM

A further note of caution about Ziploc bags: don't leave these vinyl bags in prolonged direct contact with nitrocellulose finishes (aka Martin). I have always had success with humidifiers in the accessory compartment, which is far from airtight. Don't believe that the humidity will permeate throughout the case? Put a clove of garlic in there overnight.... and tell me how your case smells tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
... I would NOT recommend leaving that Ziploc bag "open" while it's in the case with a damp sponge in it, however!
I haven't had problems with an open ziploc with the open end angled up at the end of the case -- even when traveling with the guitar. Particularly no issue if you store store your guitar in its case upright. Important point is a damp sponge, but no standing water in the ziploc. One advantage is there's no soap dish rattling around in the case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidification