The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Default Rising From The Ashes: Kronbauer 2017 SBX cedar/rosewood

As many of you know, Trevor Kronbauer—a sponsor here and a widely respected builder—suffered a devastating fire last August. I had just ordered a guitar from him, the last one before the fire. He did manage to get the rosette made and in the top before disaster struck:

Trevor found a new shop space, and he was back to work within a couple of weeks. It was slow going because he had tools to replace and jigs to rebuild. And all of the other guitars that were destroyed were further along than mine.

But now he's back to working on my guitar. Luckily my top was in a press at the time and survived the fire:

It's an SBX, his version of an OM/GC body size. It will have a 12-fret body join, a Venetian cutaway, and both armrest and waist bevels. Here are the specs:

Top: Western Red Cedar
Back/Sides: Indian Rosewood
Binding: Flamed Koa
Bevels: Flamed Koa
Tuners: Locking Gotoh 501 Minis
Frets: stainless steel

It will have a K&K Trinity system inside, with the original mic replaced with a DPA 4061 mounted on top of the x-bracing.

Here's the top side getting bent:

And here are both sides joined to the neck and tail blocks:

And finally, here's the back getting the braces glued on:

Right now, it looks like it will be finished mid-January. Can't wait!

Last edited by NoodleFingers; 11-19-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: trying to fix images
Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow! What a story. Looking forward to following along.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Glad he's back to the grindstone!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 AM

Excellent news..
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 PM

I was just researching Kronbauer guitars. I look forward to hearing about your Cedar Rosewood build. That is a wood combination that is currently interesting me. Not one you can hear at many shops though.

In regards to the fire, I was shocked to read that "Kronbauer did not have insurance." That loss must have been extremely expensive. Not just tools and jigs, 10 partial guitars lost.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 AM

I have one of Trevor's SJ models. Sitka and Indian Rosewood. It is a great guitar and still some way from fully opening up. It's golden warmth and shimmering harmonics are complemented by incredible playability. I really don't know how he makes his instruments for such a reasonable price.
I am so glad he has got back on his feet again after that disastrous fire. Good luck for the future Trevor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
custom, kronbauer, sbx