The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 AM

Default crashed guitar repairs - Pneumatic jack?

So, I've started the repairs on my 'crashed' guitar. ( refer to my earlier thread about the wall hanger breaking) - BTW, I am still awaiting word back from the company on that issue.
Anyway - I have most of the back splits and cracks re-glued. The thing that's giving me problems is the fact that most of the damage is way down in the lower bout. Where my hand can't quite get to....so I guess it's tool time!
I want to put a fairly long patch across the back, in an area where several splits were close together. Somewhere I have seen Pneumatic jacks for use in instances like this. I think that would be just the thing - I could place it, then just pump it up. no worries about it moving as I try to reach in and tighten it.
Any ideas where I can source something like this? I know I've seen them somewhere.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 AM

I use scissor jacks for most back repairs.

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 AM

Those would work, but are there extension wands available to tighten then more remotely? Are those the ones StewMac sells? Like I said, somewhere I've seen a Pneumatic jack that works like those do, but uses a small bulb to pump them up. Either will work I guess, I just like the idea of a pneumatic jack for some reason.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Yes, think stewmac sell them, they also have a flexible handle that’s about 6 inches long that can be fitted.

Pneumatic gives no sensory feedback to how much pressure is being applied, so use with caution if you go down that path.

steve.
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair