The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Replace loose saddle?

Would you guys recommend replacing a saddle that sits really loose in the slot or is that ok? It’s so loose that it will just fall out if remove the strings and turn it over. It came like this on a new Alvarez. Of course it’s held in by the strings, but should a saddle be so loose? Could that cause some buzzing or loss of tone?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM

I'd say that's somewhere between OK and really bad. The saddle shouldn't just fall out, but if it's reasonably well fitted, that could be OK. Maybe the bridge is a bit dry. If it can rock back and forth, that's bad. The more it rocks, the worse it is. Probable failure would be splitting off the front part of the bridge.
et al
Old 06-17-2018, 12:01 PM

I think I need to get it replaced, but in the meantime, what can I put behind it to snug it up? It has to be very thin. Could I use cardboard or a piece of plastic?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM

If u don’t replace it over time it will woller out the slot and it’ll get worst. If it was on a brand new Alvarez take it back and ask the store to replace it or call Alvarez and ask them for a replacement
Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Thanks. I ordered a new saddle to replace it. I checked and it was sitting vertical and not leaning forward, but I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Would you guys recommend replacing a saddle that sits really loose in the slot or is that ok? It’s so loose that it will just fall out if remove the strings and turn it over. It came like this on a new Alvarez. Of course it’s held in by the strings, but should a saddle be so loose? Could that cause some buzzing or loss of tone?
Hi Jack

I've had students who had loose saddles, and always had them replace them with proper fitting ones. It improves intonation (if the guitar is properly built).

The saddles were usually loose because the bridge had 'shrunk' expanding the size of the opening. In one case it was because an enthusiastic do-it-yourself type had ruined the original saddle and borrowed one from another of his guitars to get by.

A properly fitted saddle is a good thing. Cause of looseness should be diagnosed if this is a long-term instrument.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Yes, you can shim with cardboard or plastic. Not ideal, but it will help keep the saddle from leaning.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thanks. I ordered a new saddle to replace it. I checked and it was sitting vertical and not leaning forward, but I didn't want to take any chances.
Unfortunately that does not mean its going to fit when it arrives, best option is as John mentioned, attach a small bit of paper or cardboard to the side of it with glue to adhere to the saddle and then fit it to the slot as a neat firm fit.

Traditionally we make saddles from bone or what material you like from a thicker than required blank

Steve

Before

Sized to gap

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 06-19-2018 at 02:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair