The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Neck, tone, or both?

I’m curious about what drives your guitar buying decisions. Also, I’m not asking about this theoretically. I’m asking specifically about the guitars you own and love. Did you sacrifice any playability for tone, or vice versa?
Old 02-22-2020, 08:35 AM

You might want to take a look at this thread.

Playability vs. tone

Mark Twain
Old 02-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I sacrificed pure acoustic tone for excellent amplified tone for my gigging guitars which are Cole Clarks. I just got tired of always needing some sort of out board preamp/EQ and even then still struggling to get great amplified tone from various types of equipment in different venues. With the Cole Clarks I can plug into anything and with a few small tweaks get great amplified tone every time. At least so far.

That said, I do have a Martin D-1 Custom all-mahogany dread that is a pure acoustic tone monster that I've sacrificed great amplified tone for short of micing. I always try to find guitars that do everything perfectly but in 8 years and 33 acoustics I never found a single one that tick every box. Since going the dedicated guitar for the dedicated purpose route I've been very happy.

I've also come to find that ergonomics (body size, scale, neck shape, material, nut width, string spacing) have much less effect on me than I used to think. Sure, I have my preferences. But generally speaking I've found that I can rather quickly acclimate to most any guitar's build and it becomes all about the tone but for the gigging player, there are two types of tone - live and home.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:21 AM

I would never, ever sacrifice tone for playability. Tone is my #1. But I would not purchase a guitar that was uncomfortable to play.

I am fortunate enough to shop in a range where there are a lot of fine sounding guitars with different playing feels. I really would not purchase an instrument that didn't satisfy both ends of that question.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’m curious about what drives your guitar buying decisions. Also, I’m not asking about this theoretically. I’m asking specifically about the guitars you own and love. Did you sacrifice any playability for tone, or vice versa?
I wonder if you’re asking this question because of the prototype thin finish D-28A you recently bought, because the neck is still stupid weird and you’ve previously sold two D-28As for the same reason? Am I right?

To answer your question though, no I will not keep an awesome sounding guitar that is challenging to play due to stiffness, neck profile, or lack of playability comfort. To stay long term, playability is #1. If I hate picking it up, I’ll never get to enjoy its incredible tone so what’s the point? By the way, this is exactly the reason why I’ve not bought the D-28A Aged to date. If Martin announces they are changing the neck shape like Collings has done a couple of times now with their Traditionals, I’ll consider it, but I don’t see that happening. Martin is very insistent that every Authentic made after those 1st-gen 1937 models must be traceable to a specific guitar.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-22-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Neck, tone, or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I wonder if you’re asking this question because of the prototype thin finish D-28A you recently bought, because the neck is still stupid weird and you’ve previously sold two D-28As for the same reason? Am I right?

To answer your question though, no I will not keep an awesome sounding guitar that is challenging to play due to stiffness, neck profile, or lack of playability comfort. To stay long term, playability is #1. If I hate picking it up, I’ll never get to enjoy its incredible tone so what’s the point? By the way, this is exactly the reason why I’ve not bought the D-28A Aged to date. If Martin announces they are changing the neck shape like Collings has done a couple of times now with their Traditionals, I’ll consider it, but I don’t see that happening. Martin is very insistent that every Authentic made after those 1st-gen 1937 models must be traceable to a specific guitar.

Exactly, I’m in love with the tone and struggling with the neck for some pieces. I’m trying to learn some new Bert Jansch tunes and getting hand pain. Unfortunately, my Marquis is not much easier to play. The guitar is easy enough to play for 80% of what I do.

The thought of adding another high end guitar is unfathomable. I think I’m going to suffer through it for the time being. :-). And, yes the Collings traditional neck is the best in the business.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Custom shop

Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I consider both tone and the neck feel/ease of play. My Taylor 717e Grand Pacific gives me both and its Builder's Edition neck feels the best of all my guitars including my other Taylors.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Playability is important, but I've never equated that with the neck. Playability for me is about the action. I've played guitar for 40 years, and have never even considered neck shape, etc. I've never owned a guitar where I didn't get along with the neck. I do prefer a 1 3/4 nut width, but even that is not a huge deal for me. When I buy a guitar - it's really about the tone and aesthetic (and price ).
Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
Custom shop

Martin will not use any Authentic as a base model for alteration. You cannot get Authentic series bracing with the tucked bridgeplate etc through the Custom Shop either. It’s take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Playability is important, but I've never equated that with the neck. Playability for me is about the action. I've played guitar for 40 years, and have never even considered neck shape, etc. I've never owned a guitar where I didn't get along with the neck. I do prefer a 1 3/4 nut width, but even that is not a huge deal for me.
Someone on UMGF who recently took delivery of a D-28A Aged posted a picture of their neck from the side. You can see the radical taper...how thin (depthwise) it is in 1st position and how thick it becomes as you move up the neck. If you’re constantly moving up and down the neck, you end up tightening your grip lower on the neck, and loosening grip as you move up, all while trying to fret accurately. If you tend to stay in one place, it’s probably fine. Otherwise it’s an unnecessary distraction, IMO.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Last edited by brencat; 02-22-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

My D18 has wonderful tone and playability as do my other guitars. I can't abide any less, and nor should anyone else with so many great guitars out there at multiple price points...
Old 02-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi md

In this day and age, if one has a little patience, we do NOT need to compromise or sacrifice qualities.

The last 4 guitars into my collection had exactly what I wanted in all areas including neck, and body size, and tone, projection, sustain, etc. If they didn't have all the qualities I want/need, they would not be living at our house.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=brencat;6299383]Martin will not use any Authentic as a base model for alteration. You cannot get Authentic series bracing with the tucked bridgeplate etc through the Custom Shop either. It’s take it or leave it.

True but you could modify off some of the golden era series a few years back. And then they had the outlaw series back in 2016 or so.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:41 AM

I chatted with a friend and my brother. My brother suggested the new pieces were probably the cause of the hand pain if 80% of my songs don't cause it. Since he's a medical professional, and obviously more logical than I, I will continue to give it more practice until I get it. My friend said similar stuff, but he also added "I told you so" and "You're screwed." But, he's French, so that comes with the package. LOL

Also, good suggestion on the setup. It's obvious, but this is a new guitar and it still has the factory setup. I just loved the tone so much, I didn't want to mess with it. I will take it to my setup guy and see if he can work some magic on it, without altering the tone. I think the nut slots might be a smidgen high.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:53 AM

I'm of the persuasion that 90% of tone is in your hands, and if I can't play it comfortably I couldn't care less how good it sounds; passed on more than a few tone monsters - both acoustic and electric - for just that reason...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion