The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I like the way you think! But that goes against everything every luthier (and new guitar warranty) has ever taught me about solid wood or even solid top guitars. Maybe it's like everything else - in the real world things aren't like you read about in forums...
Do you monitor the humidity in your house?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 PM

My Breedlove Pursuit Concert Red Cedar lives on the stand while the Martins snooze in their cases. One of the reasons I like practicing with it in the house is because it's not a cannon. Alternately, since it's my only acoustic/electric, I can gig with it when I need to plug in without having to worry about it getting damaged.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Runaway Tomato

I didn't read through the entire thread, so apologies if this was mentioned. You didn't have a price range in the op, but I'm going to recommend a 100 series Taylor based on my experience with my 110e. It's a very strong, pro-level instrument and in my two years owning mine it hasn't had to be subject to the rigors of humidification and close care. It would feel right at home on a stand.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-15-2020, 02:59 PM

Whoa those FG and FS series Yamahas look pretty sweet for the dough. Just watched a short review of one. Maybe that's the ticket.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Maybe a used CF? Probably still more than ya want to spend, but ya could keep an eye out for one. I bought my RainSong for exactly what you’re after...I love it...Never have to tune even...pick up and play...pretty neat like that...

Barring that, perhaps one of the cheaper Yamahas, or similar, that have a multi-ply neck for strength etc
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-15-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Do you monitor the humidity in your house?
Yes. I it is currently 24%. We have forced hot air hear. A room humidifier or whole house humidifier is not in the cards right now.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yes. I it is currently 24%. We have forced hot air hear. A room humidifier or whole house humidifier is not in the cards right now.
I think a wiser and less espensive choice would be to get a room humidifier rather than another guitar. Low humidity affects more things than just guitars, too.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:56 PM

I was in the same situation a few years ago, i have a D28 and D18, wanted something to leave laying around without having to humidify it, so I got a Martin laminate, OMCPA5.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
If your environment stays ~20%-25% for months at a time during winter I would not leave any wooden guitar (laminate or not) out for weeks at a time. Even with all laminate, braces will dry out and can come loose, fret sprout is likely, or worse things can develop.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 PM

All the instruments in my signature fit the bill!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 02-15-2020, 05:38 PM

I have a Martin 02XMAE for that same reason. Plus I travel for work and I can leave it in a hot or cold car without worrying.
Brian
Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 PM

Another vote for a Yamaha FG830. Hangs on the wall 24/7/365 and for that reason, gets played to most of any guitar in the house.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I know not popular here, but I would second Ovation. And mine are hands down my best plugged in instruments as well.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I have been learning about guitars and their care this past year or so. Before buying my first-ever new guitar (Yamaha AC1R) I got a new console-type humidifier for $150 at a local big box store after reading about them on Amazon. It keeps our house here in Duluth, MN close to the 40% relative humidity we set it at, using about 3-5L of water every day. Our temp varies from 62F night to 68F day. We are more comfortable (no static shocks, skin not so dry, no colds or flu) and I have one less worry about the well-being of any future guitars. The humidifier is well worth the price and maintenance.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Again to tell my story, look at my list of guitars. See that Alvarez AD710? It has a solid spruce top ... or should I say a solid spruce top with an ugly, but repaired, humidity crack from the bottom of the bridge to the bottom of the body, So these cracks will occur. I also live in the Northeast and this morning the humidity level was 22 percent with one of my two small humidifiers running. (It's now 30 percent at night time)

I would tell the O.P. to get a solid-top guitar or all-solid guitar if he or she plans to adequately humidify the room where the guitar will be left on the stand.

If not, I'd suggest getting an all-laminate guitar (I'd recommend either a Yamaha or an Alvarez Regent series) or perhaps a guitar with an "overbuilt" (i.e. thicker than normal) solid spruce top, such as I had on my mid-70s Guild D-55. I left that thing out on the stand for years and years with no problem. It was the heaviest dreadnought I've ever encountered and I think the thicker top was partly the cause.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion