The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Isn't that everything you're trying to avoid? It has line in, so maybe bypasses the mic preamps, but you'd be going thru its A/D.
I guess I am not that savy about all this. Heck, I thought bypassing the pres meant not going through its A/D. I just want to know what interface would work for me using outboard pres and outboard AD/DA converter. Is there such a device?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I guess I am not that savy about all this. I just want to know what interface would work for me using outboard pres and outboard AD/DA converter.
I'm a little confused, the two things you said you had seem to be preamps with analog outputs, the Avalon and the UAD. You have a separate A/D converter in addition?. If so, all you need is an "interface", something that takes digital in and gets it to the computer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure such a thing exists - and like a lot of gear, the names that get marketed are confusing. We see "interfaces' that are actually preamp->A/D->computer interface all bundled. Some let you bypass the preamps, and a few (very few) let you bypass the A/D. But I don't know of any that are pure digital interface to the computer. Might be such a thing, but I don't know of one, and a quick search just now didn't turn anything up. The market is pushing "all-in-one" solutions these days, not component parts.

The unit I used to use is an RME HDSP, which included both digital and analog inputs. So no preamps, at least, but still had A/D onboard. I just skipped that and ran my external A/D converter at the time (Cranesong HEDD) into the digital inputs, letting the RME A/D go to waste. So I had what (I think) you're describing: My preamp's (Great River) analog out to my A/D (Cransong HEDD) to the digital inputs of the RME card.

Last edited by Doug Young; 02-08-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Earlier in this thread I suggested the MOTU 8D. It has 4 channels each of AES inputs, AES outputs, SPDIF inputs, and SPDIF outputs. No preamps or converters (other than what’s used in the headphone amp) and it has a very nice router/mixer. It’s not Thunderbolt but should be compatible with the OPs Mac.

This seems to me what the OP has asked for, unless he also needs to have analog outputs for his monitors.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-08-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Earlier in this thread I suggested the MOTU 8D. It has 4 channels each of AES inputs, AES outputs, SPDIF inputs, and SPDIF outputs. No preamps or converters (other than what’s used in the headphone amp) and it has a very nice router/mixer. It’s not Thunderbolt but should be compatible with the OPs Mac.
Ah, indeed, that looks like the right thing! I don't understand the "mixing" feature, tho. It only has digital ins, but then the photo shows a mixer with a "snare drum" track. How does it support a 48-channel digital mixer with what seems to be 8 digital inputs?

Last edited by Doug Young; 02-08-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, indeed, that looks like the right thing! I don't understand the "mixing" feature, tho. It only has digital ins, but then the photo shows a mixer with a "snare drum" track. How does it support a 48-channel digital mixer with what seems to be 8 digital inputs?
I have a Motu Ultralite AVB, and I believe the router/mixer/dsp is identical. For home studios most of the mixer / router / dsp features wouldn’t likely be used; it’s mainly there to be used on a multi-box configuration (stageboxes connected to front of house stuff, etc, using an AVB connection). However the box can also be standalone. The mixer could include the 8D I/O and your DAW I/O or it can also include and control any other connected Motu box.

The mixer is great for zero latency monitoring while you are recording. I use a headphone mix which includes my guitar mics as well as tracks from the daw (click or previously recorded tracks). For this mix I have it EQd by the Motu Box. I set up a different mix for my monitor outputs. I can also use the Motu headphone mix and monitor output mix to listen to anything from the computer without the daw. I use the daw mixer for individual recorded tracks.

The Motu 8D is $600.

A less expensive option is the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. It has SPDIF input and output that could connect to the OPs UA2192. It has a mixer that will support zero latency monitoring. It has 2 mic preamps and converters but they could be ignored / not used.

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm a little confused, the two things you said you had seem to be preamps with analog outputs, the Avalon and the UAD. You have a separate A/D converter in addition?. If so, all you need is an "interface", something that takes digital in and gets it to the computer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure such a thing exists - and like a lot of gear, the names that get marketed are confusing. We see "interfaces' that are actually preamp->A/D->computer interface all bundled. Some let you bypass the preamps, and a few (very few) let you bypass the A/D. But I don't know of any that are pure digital interface to the computer. Might be such a thing, but I don't know of one, and a quick search just now didn't turn anything up. The market is pushing "all-in-one" solutions these days, not component parts.

The unit I used to use is an RME HDSP, which included both digital and analog inputs. So no preamps, at least, but still had A/D onboard. I just skipped that and ran my external A/D converter at the time (Cranesong HEDD) into the digital inputs, letting the RME A/D go to waste. So I had what (I think) you're describing: My preamp's (Great River) analog out to my A/D (Cransong HEDD) to the digital inputs of the RME card.
Hi Doug, Yes I mentioned I use a UA 2192 Converter,....... "Kev, exactly! I dont need the extra pre’s. The Profire 610 was/is a great interface because it has spdif, balanced ins and outs. My UA2192 has AES ins/outs, balanced ins/outs, ADAT ins/outs."
Old 02-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Doug, Yes I mentioned I use a UA 2192 Converter,....... "Kev, exactly! I dont need the extra pre’s. The Profire 610 was/is a great interface because it has spdif, balanced ins and outs. My UA2192 has AES ins/outs, balanced ins/outs, ADAT ins/outs."
Ah, sorry, I missed that. In that case, it seems like the MOTU 8D should do exactly what you want. I'm glad to see something like this exists, I may want to do this type of setup myself at some point.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:29 PM

I don't understand enough about all the connection options to know what is best.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:31 PM

I don't understand enough about all the connection options to know what is best. I used to think the Profire 610 was bypassing the AD conversion. I gues I was wrong. Ignorance must have been bliss?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't understand enough about all the connection options to know what is best. I used to think the Profire 610 was bypassing the AD conversion. I gues I was wrong. Ignorance must have been bliss?
If you had been connecting your UA2192 to the Profire 610 using SPDIF then you were bypassing tha 610's preamps and converters. You could do the same with the Focusrite 8i6 or the Motu 8D.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 AM

So, whats the point of using a high end standalone converter if there aren’t many options for bypassing the ad conversion on standalone interfaces? Also, what’s the difference between using the aes ins/outs versus spdif? And third, how should I route my monitor signal without analog outs on the 8d?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-09-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, whats the point of using a high end standalone converter if there aren’t many options for bypassing the ad conversion on standalone interfaces? Also, what’s the difference between using the aes ins/outs versus spdif? And third, how should I route my monitor signal without analog outs on the 8d?
I've seen dedicated mastering guys talk about using high end convertors so there's probably a way to do it, but it's likely on the high end side of your wallet. There are some audio mastering groups on Facebook where you may be able to get your question answered.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
AES is designed for extremely long distances, and SPDIF is limited to around 10 meters. So either is fine for most home recording setups. AES is usually only found on pro gear. SPDIF is sometimes supported on prosumer gear, but sometimes it supports Toslink (optical) instead.

For question 3, you could use the dac in your UA2192 for your monitors (and it’s probably much better than the monitor output built into an interface). The router in the 8D will allow you to direct the monitor signal from your daw to your UA2192.

Depending how comfortable you are with audio interface routers, the Focusrite 8i6 is simpler to setup (but less featured but that might not matter for how you intend to use it).

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-09-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't understand enough about all the connection options to know what is best.
Rick,

All you need is an interface that accepts AES/EBU or ADAT and connects to your Mac either through USB or T-Bolt.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Rick,

All you need is an interface that accepts AES/EBU or ADAT and connects to your Mac either through USB or T-Bolt.
Thank-you! Yes, or even spdif, because I have AES---> SPDIF cables for my UA2192 converter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD