The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM

To the OP: Nope. There are no rules about strings matching certain tone woods, body sizes, or any of that. Some people around here will speak as if there WERE certain rules, like "nickel strings sound like crap on guitars with rosewood back and sides", and this may indeed represent a majority view, but it's all down to personal preference for you the player, and your guy (or gal) the axe itself.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I always see these posts asking what are the best strings for such and such guitars. Do guitars really do better with certain strings? I have found it depends on the tone you want, not what the guitar wants.
Hi pz

I do have one guitar which if I put 80/20 on it sounds like a buzz saw in the high registers. But it becomes a different experience with phosphor bronze.

So yes, there are times that certain guitars respond better/worse to specific formulations or brands. (I'm allergic to Black Diamond and LaBella)

I had a small body all-laminate that sounded like harshness multiplied (on steroids) when it got anywhere near the old cheap Black Diamond strings in the 1960s (it was my early college guitar).

But I agree that for the most part my string experiments were limited to specific attempts at a certain sound/feel I was going for, and often focused on weight of strings more than formula.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-19-2020, 10:36 PM

Default Do certain guitars actually require certain strings?

Yeah, if you have a certain kind of ears
Old 01-20-2020, 12:19 AM

My first acoustic, particularly later in its life (after it picked up a slight forward angle in the neck) really benefited from the brightness of Martin 80/20s.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:24 AM

Strings and picks are our physical connection to our instrument.

So for a particular person, playing a particular instrument, there's a "better" combination of strings and picks (or no pick...) that suits the player playing the instrument in a style.

There's almost no reason why my preferences should have any bearing on anyone else's preference.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 AM

Of course they do. My wife owns a 1921 O-18 that we would never put anything heavier than XL strings on. She tried silk & steel, but found that they go dead really quickly and don't give much punch, but it is so lightly braced that even light gauge would be too heavy.
It goes without saying that a 12-string, 7-string, tenor . . . requires a different set of strings.
We have an old FG-75 high-strung guitar that is set up for lighter strings. The only change made from when it was a regular six string was a new nut and a set-up, but the way it is now, you wouldn't want to put regular strings on it.
The way a guitar is set up dictates the type of string as well. When I played a lot of bluegrass, I preferred heavier strings and had my guitars set up for them. These days I prefer a lighter gauge string and have had my guitars set up for them.
I prefer a polished or even flat wound on an arch-top.
If your guitar has a magnetic pickup, I'd avoid brass wound strings.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

...personal tastes aside...I do have “certain” guitars that anybody listening would agree sound better with “certain” strings...it maybe that there is more than one choice of string that fits the bill...but still it is a certain type of string...

...for instance...if I put a set of silk and steel extra lights on my Dreadnought it ain’t gonna sound it’s best...and if I put a set of medium PB’s on my 1889 Washburn parlor..well that ain’t gonna work either...

...so yes...there is something to the right string for the right guitar that goes beyond personal taste....
Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
So many strings; so little time.

Guitars can ALWAYS sound better.

The problem is you have to match the best strings with the best bridge pins with the best saddle. What are the chances of that happening?

Even if you pull that off, you might not have the guitar that's best suited for you.

"One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus

At least almost all of my guitars don't use bridge pins.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
Of course they do. My wife owns a 1921 O-18 that we would never put anything heavier than XL strings on. She tried silk & steel, but found that they go dead really quickly and don't give much punch, but it is so lightly braced that even light gauge would be too heavy.
It goes without saying that a 12-string, 7-string, tenor . . . requires a different set of strings.
We have an old FG-75 high-strung guitar that is set up for lighter strings. The only change made from when it was a regular six string was a new nut and a set-up, but the way it is now, you wouldn't want to put regular strings on it.
The way a guitar is set up dictates the type of string as well. When I played a lot of bluegrass, I preferred heavier strings and had my guitars set up for them. These days I prefer a lighter gauge string and have had my guitars set up for them.
I prefer a polished or even flat wound on an arch-top.
If your guitar has a magnetic pickup, I'd avoid brass wound strings.
Only for you, not for any recommendation you might give to another.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:48 AM

Having cycled through several different types of strings on several different guitars...

I keep coming back to Exilir PBs. 13's on my Mini, 12's on anything 'normal' length. The Mini needs the extra weight of the 13s due to the 23.5" scale.

I just like 'em on everything it seems.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Some strings make my guitars sound better (to me). Other strings don't sound as good (to me).

My wife actually prefers the sound of my guitars when there are no strings on them.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-20-2020, 09:33 AM

LOL, I think my wife likes that brand too
Old 01-20-2020, 09:40 AM

This is another of the forum inspired fables that are finally being dispelled. As I’ve said before, a great guitar will sound great with any string set. If you disagree, maybe it’s not the strings.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
This is another of the forum inspired fables that are finally being dispelled. As I’ve said before, a great guitar will sound great with any string set. If you disagree, maybe it’s not the strings.
Cool, pop these on one of these sets on one your acoustics, bring it to standard E pitch and let us know what noises it makes.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...IaAhpbEALw_wcB

I personally find that 80/20s and Phosphor bronze sound vastly different on every guitar, and it's not a difference I liked on any of them. 80/20s sound aweful to me. Thats fine, that's why I buy PBs. I can also understand how someone could hate PBs and love 80/20s. I was stunned by how different they are having only ever played PBs then trying out 80/20s for the first time a couple of months back.

I correctly guessed which set was which in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGe5fo4tddU) and I don't use D'Adario strings (though I have tried them) and I don't think the differences come across as well in this video as they do in person from my experience - I've found it to be much less subtle.

If you can't hear any difference then perhaps it's not us...

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 AM

It was so much easier when I started playing back in 1958. The music store I dealt with carried only Black Diamond. ( and you could buy single strings ). Coming back to the guitar five years ago after a forty year absence, I am totally amazed at the number of choices you have in strings as well as instruments , amps and accessories.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion