The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 AM
T268 T268 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 742
Default 2 annoying experiences in one day

Hi all. I hope youíre well. Just a bit of a rant.

I went to my local shop who has a pretty good selection of acoustics. They had a Recording King from 2011 that really spoke to me. However, new in 2011 it was $289. They were asking $395 for it. I sent them a link to a review mentioning the street price and said with all due respect I think the pricing was off. It was in good shape, but definitely not new. They said the best theyíd do on the price was $295 with tax included(which works out to $277 before tax). Itís really irritating because I really liked the guitar, and while $295 isnít that much money for a guitar that you really like, I just canít reconcile basically paying new guitar money for a used piece. The plight of the cheapskate I suppose.

Also, I bought a used Tele at GC. I spoke with the guy on the floor(the GC wasnít local to me). The guy was, as countless AGFers have said, condescending, and aside from talking to his manager about price, really unhelpful. I ended up buying it anyway because the price was good and the color was cool. Plus, if I donít like it, I should be able to flip it without much, if any, money lost. Anyway, just another example of GC being GC.

Ok, rant over.
__________________
Collings CJ SB Rosewood
NGD Post:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414392

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:32 AM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 6,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
Hi all. I hope youíre well. Just a bit of a rant.

I went to my local shop who has a pretty good selection of acoustics. They had a Recording King from 2011 that really spoke to me. However, new in 2011 it was $289. They were asking $395 for it. I sent them a link to a review mentioning the street price and said with all due respect I think the pricing was off. It was in good shape, but definitely not new. They said the best theyíd do on the price was $295 with tax included(which works out to $277 before tax). Itís really irritating because I really liked the guitar, and while $295 isnít that much money for a guitar that you really like, I just canít reconcile basically paying new guitar money for a used piece. The plight of the cheapskate I suppose.

Also, I bought a used Tele at GC. I spoke with the guy on the floor(the GC wasnít local to me). The guy was, as countless AGFers have said, condescending, and aside from talking to his manager about price, really unhelpful. I ended up buying it anyway because the price was good and the color was cool. Plus, if I donít like it, I should be able to flip it without much, if any, money lost. Anyway, just another example of GC being GC.

Ok, rant over.
If you owned a house and it burned down in a fire, and the insurance company said you only paid 100K for it 10 years, so that's what we're going to pay you now, despite the current rebuilding cost being 200K, would you be mad?

What something cost originally has nothing to do with anything. Replacement cost is the point.

If the shop owner turned around and used AGF logic on you by saying "Hey, it's already broken in and it speaks to you, and you don't have to worry about 'first scratches', etc!", what would you say then?

Small shops have a right to make a reasonable profit so that they can stay in business.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
__________________
My New Website!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:40 AM
rmp rmp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,300
Default

I don't like dealing with Guitar Center. It is the last place on the list of places I'll do business with.

re: the Recording King, not sure I agree with that pricing strategy either. If that guitar was yours, and YOU were looking to trade it, they would offer you dirt for it. You were right to walk.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:50 AM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 18,609
Default

I wish my days were that bad.
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:56 AM
RP's Avatar
RP RP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 15,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
...I went to my local shop who has a pretty good selection of acoustics. They had a Recording King from 2011 that really spoke to me. However, new in 2011 it was $289. They were asking $395 for it. I sent them a link to a review mentioning the street price and said with all due respect I think the pricing was off. It was in good shape, but definitely not new. They said the best they’d do on the price was $295 with tax included(which works out to $277 before tax). It’s really irritating because I really liked the guitar, and while $295 isn’t that much money for a guitar that you really like, I just can’t reconcile basically paying new guitar money for a used piece. The plight of the cheapskate I suppose...Ok, rant over.
Carrying your logic to to the extreme, try buying this 1945 Martin D-45 listed at $32,000 at Gryphon Strings https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...itar-d28-51370 for the $100 or so that it cost when new....
__________________
Emerald X20 Black
Emerald Satin X30 Black Limba - On Order
Rainsong H-DR1100NT
Rainsong V-DR1100N2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:58 AM
warfrat73 warfrat73 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,344
Default

At what point, then, is it ok for a guitar to sell for more than it originally cost?

Markets change, demand changes, the economy is very different today than it was in 2011.

Pre-war Martins did not start out costing four, or five, or even six figures. Not that that Recording King is a classic model or anything, but guitars often appreciate over time, it happens, and shops will charge what the market will bear. And, they were willing to knock off $100, more than 25%, just because you asked... sounds like they were being pretty flexible.
__________________
"What have I learned but the proper use for several tools" -Gary Snyder

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin 000-17sm / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:06 AM
davidbeinct davidbeinct is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Carrying your logic to to the extreme, try buying this 1945 Martin D-45 listed at $32,000 at Gryphon Strings https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...itar-d28-51370 for the $100 or so that it cost when new....
Thatís silly. Guitars, like cars, depreciate for quite some time when used before appreciation starts. Your example is like telling someone they should be willing to pay more than list for a gently used 2011 Toyota Camry because a 1945 Buick Roadmaster recently sold for $70,000.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:11 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 807
Default

Have a look on eBay at the used prices and see if it's more or less in line. If there's loads of them at $150 you were right to walk out. If they're all $250-$350 then time to walk back in
__________________
Gibson Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Taylor GS Mini Koa
Orange Crush Acoustic 30
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:23 AM
RP's Avatar
RP RP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 15,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Thatís silly. Guitars, like cars, depreciate for quite some time when used before appreciation starts...
Great because I was shooting for silliness. I was commenting on the OP's logic that old things should not appreciate as the cost of similar items appreciate in cost. A number of years ago Musicians Friend carried Silver Creek guitars that some of us were able to snag for as little as 100 bucks with a nice hardshell case. I saw one advertised recently in the AGF Classified section for quite a bit more. Worth and value are a function of what someone is willing to pay, not necessarily what they cost when new...
__________________
Emerald X20 Black
Emerald Satin X30 Black Limba - On Order
Rainsong H-DR1100NT
Rainsong V-DR1100N2
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:25 AM
warfrat73 warfrat73 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Your example is like telling someone they should be willing to pay more than list for a gently used 2011 Toyota Camry because a 1945 Buick Roadmaster recently sold for $70,000.
Your example's silly, because guitars don't inherently lose use value through wear and obsolescence.
__________________
"What have I learned but the proper use for several tools" -Gary Snyder

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin 000-17sm / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:28 AM
M19's Avatar
M19 M19 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Posts: 7,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Have a look on eBay at the used prices and see if it's more or less in line. If there's loads of them at $150 you were right to walk out. If they're all $250-$350 then time to walk back in
Best logic so far^^^.
__________________
Marty
Twin Cities AGF Group on FB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:30 AM
T268 T268 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I wish my days were that bad.
Fair point. In truth, I do indeed have much bigger fish to fry in life. However, just needed to rant to other guitar nerds.
__________________
Collings CJ SB Rosewood
NGD Post:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414392

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:32 AM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 18,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
Fair point. In truth, I do indeed have much bigger fish to fry in life. However, just needed to rant to other guitar nerds.
Didn't mean for it to sound snarky - just perspective. I'm going through some of the darkest days of my adult life right now.
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:32 AM
T268 T268 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I wish my days were that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Best logic so far^^^.
The only one Iíve seen on eBay or reverb sold for $230. If they offered that price, Iíd pay it.
__________________
Collings CJ SB Rosewood
NGD Post:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414392

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:40 AM
T268 T268 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Didn't mean for it to sound snarky - just perspective. I'm going through some of the darkest days of my adult life right now.
Didnít take it as snark. This is a good place to be in dark times. Music and a lot of prayer got me through my sonís passing 5 years ago. Just have a good outlet. Hoping or calmer waters for you on the horizon.
__________________
Collings CJ SB Rosewood
NGD Post:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414392

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=