The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default I returned the Emerald X10

I did this because the body feels a little too big for me, and I have realized yet again that I prefer a shorter scale neck. I really liked the tone—there was plenty of bass, and though there were overtones there was good separation in the fundamental tone. There is a “clean-ness” about the tone, though not cold sounding. I liked playing on the carbon fiber fingerboard. It was smooth and quick. I appreciated the comfort of the bevels.
What was odd was that where my fingers landed to fingerpick, I would sometimes end up hitting the fingerboard. I don’t remember this happening when I played an X7.

So I’m back to thinking about a custom X7 with a longer scale length. I need to play an X7 again as I know you can’t send back custom guitars.

Even though I chose to return the guitar, I’m glad I had the opportunity to play it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Sorry that didn't work out for you, Karen.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Sorry that didn't work out Karen. You'd be welcome to play my X7 again, but it's a MUCH longer drive unless you can hold out until late March! Then again, if you play a 24" X7 I'm not sure how different that would end up being than the custom scale you might go for...

Good luck with this, however you decide to go forward...

-Ray
Old 01-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Ray. Thanks RP. As time runs on, late March isn't so far away.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 01-08-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:50 PM

Karen,

I have a custom X7 with a scale length of 24.6 inches, and am very pleased with the guitar.

Jim K
Old 01-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Good for you, and it’s good you had the option to return the guitar. This option is a must when ordering sight unseen.

In the last few years I’ve returned a few guitars but have kept more then I have returned. It’s a numbers game.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Jim K-- How did you arriive at a 24.6" scale? So good you're loving your guitar! And than Mbroady for your reply. Being able to return a guitar sight unseen and unplayed is esstential.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 AM

Sorry to hear that didn’t work out for you. I had that issue with the X20 where my thumb would sometimes catch the 23rd or 24th fret while playing. I loved the Emerald but also had some personal issues(finger pain) with the neck profile. They start to get pricey with the custom neck profiles added on so...
Good luck with your continued search.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Default returned X10

Sent you a private message KarenB.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Jim K-- How did you arriive at a 24.6" scale? So good you're loving your guitar! And than Mbroady for your reply. Being able to return a guitar sight unseen and unplayed is esstential.
Karen,

I chose 24.6 (i) since my understanding is that 24.6 is a common scale adjustment made by Emerald, and (ii) to be close to my other two guitars, which are an Emerald X20 with a custom scale length that I ordered at 24.75 at the time, and a Journey RT660, which has a standard 24.5 scale length.

With the three guitars so close in scale length, I have virtually no adjustment when moving between them.

The more common scale lengths of 25.5 (typical Taylor) and 25.4 (typical Martin) are a bit long for me.

Regards,
Jim
Old 01-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default 13 fret neck

I have a custom X7. It joins at the 13th fret and the scale length is longer than the stock X7. I don’t know the exact dimensions since I bought it used. If your travels ever take you through Indiana, you are welcome to try it out.
Emerald X10 Slim
Emerald X12
Northfield Big Mon
PRS S2 McCarty Slimline
PRS JA-15
Collings I30 LC
Old 01-09-2020, 05:02 PM

A word of advice: be very specific if you are ordering a custom scale from Emerald.

The scale of my X7 Nylon is 24.9" but Emerald did not make the neck much longer. Instead they simply moved the bridge further down, which may have changed the tonal character of the guitar.
The neck joins between the 11th and 12th fret. Not quite what I expected. I probably should have specified a 13th fret join like Rashi has.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim for the info on why you chose a 24.6” scale length.

It’s interesting, Frettingflyer ,that you had the same issue with your X20 where your thumb would catch the 23rd or 24th fret while playing.

Rash63, a 13 fret X7 sounds intriguing. Is the bridge moved up to achieve that 13th fret configuration?

Mountainmaster—I can’t visualize what you said. If the bridge was moved further down, wouldn’t it make the neck shorter, not longer? Thanks for the advice about being very specific.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It’s interesting, Frettingflyer ,that you had the same issue with your X20 where your thumb would catch the 23rd or 24th fret while playing.
IN other threads, several of us have mentioned hitting the fingerboard on the X20. I play with a pick and it was a problem for me when I first got the X20, I still hit it once in a while, but am more careful now. If I was ordering I would have a few of those frets removed. I do think it's a design error though that should be corrected.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Mountainmaster—I can’t visualize what you said. If the bridge was moved further down, wouldn’t it make the neck shorter, not longer? Thanks for the advice about being very specific.
That may depend on your definition of "down" in this case. When I said "down" I was picturing my guitar in its stand.

Assuming we are using the same definition, the neck would have been shorter if the scale was still 24".

Just think of a regular X7, all standard dimensions, and then move the bridge 0.9" down. All a luthier has to do then is recalculate the fret distances and voilŕ: a 24.9" scale X7. I guess that is the easy (lazy) way to do it.

The proper way IMO is to keep the bridge in its regular position and extend the neck. Unless you are intentionally looking for a different tonal character of course. However, a standard X7 already has its bridge in the so-called sweet spot. So I do not see any reason to change this.

There! That pet peeve is off my chest again. Thanks for putting up with the rant.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 01-10-2020 at 05:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber