The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
Hey People,

I am purchasing a guitar for my son and I am looking at these new Chinese made Sigma's and Tokai's...

I have a great love for the older Japanese made Tokai's an Sigma's. I have been chatting with the Tokai factory in Hamamatsu an the Guy is telling me the quality is good, although I have heard that there are some quality guitars coming out of China in the last few years I remain skeptical.
I would like to get the skinny on it from the experts an without bias ;-)

I have recently played a Mahogany Sigma with a Spruce top in a shop and I have to say I was really surprised, it actually sounded better than most the expensive ones we had been playing... (I wont mention brand name as I don't want to start a heated debate lol)... Let's suffice it to say I think sometimes people are just buying certain expensive guitars because of marketing instead of using their ears.

So I am interested to hear your thoughts on this. . Did I just get lucky with the Sigma I played, I do think it had far better sounding strings on it for one which can make a huge difference IMO... But when I told the guy in the shop what I thought, well he got very upset and myself an my son both agreed that I had struck a nerve lol... although he agreed it was an amazing sounding guitar for the price (it was like 270 Euro I couldn't believe the price the others were in the thousands) he got upset at me saying it sounded better than the deer ones but did not disagree with me...

He didn't deny it sounded better but instead told me that "The expensive ones would sound better than the Sigma in five years" to which I replied "Well they don't today"... I don't want to have to wait five years for a guitar to sound good !!

I think the Sigma they had might of have had Earthwood 80/20 Bronze or something very similar... they don't last that long but really sound amazing IMO. . The others had a coated string I think he said Elixer's not sure which, they actually felt looser an softer to the touch but also quieter.

Anyway this got me thinkin if the quality is in the Sigma's is not in the Chinese Tokai's I wonder, which brings me to my final point ya cannot get any new Rosewood back an side Sigma's at the minute anyway that I can find but there are Rosewood Tokai's available an cheap at that !

My son is guitar mad at the minute he is turning 15 this next btw... but he has gone from mad into the electric an done a full 180 to falling in love with the sound of the acoustic which I am very pleased with I wanna get him somethin that will hook him good an proper but I don't wanna break the bank etc as he may loose interest, teen age'rs an all that...

Thank in advance for sharing your wisdom in this matter....all help is greatly appreciated.

As usual wishing yis all the best of everything, cheers,
Jay
It's quite likely that you tried a Sigma with fresh strings when the others (the big names' ones) didn't have new strings anymore...
Otherwise it mostly depends on your ability to get tp know what a better guitar really is I reckon...A $270 Sigma won't match a Martin D-18 for very long...When strings get old, good guitars keep sounding okay when average guitars end up sounding rather poorly (it's the stings you ended up judging possibly). The clear lively tone disappears, leaving a lifeless brittle or tinny sound. Usually happens quite quickly when back & sides are not solid woods...
My first real good guitar had many features I could identify, but at the same time I didn't think that much of it by lack of awareness and not enough experience...
This being said, I have tried or heard excellent Sigma guitars, and for someone who wants to start guitar they would have been more than good enough...(youngsters are not necessarily carefull enough for expensive guitars and may not have the taste or passion that a better guitar would deserve...).Sometmes expensive guitar do not sound good enough in relation to their price (though some at least would do quite shortly).I'm no expert, I buy guitars that sound good enough to my ears when they play well...The Sigma sounds worth the money they ask for it...
I had tried an electric Strat by Tokai when I bought my Squier guitar many years ago : sounded possibly better then the latter I eventually bought; thinking of selling it when I could get a genuine Fender...

Last edited by Bernieman; 07-30-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Couple of words changed
Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Can't comment on the Tokai or Sigma, but the Chinese guitars are really getting pretty good... seemed that 10 years ago, Eastman was about the only consistently good acoustic; I tried a bunch of the early Recording Kings that folks raved about and thought they were "less than", as a whole...

Nowadays, there are a lot of guitars being built in China and Asia that are wonderful, and there a lot of companies that have their lower-priced instruments built over there.

Che out what Alvarez is doing these days - they make a Masterworks dreadnought and OM that are very similar to a Martin D-18 or OM-18... better appointments, actually; these are all solid woods, herringbone purfling, bound necks, very nice fit and finish... and STELLAR in sound, which to me is where the "rubber meets the road"! Come with a sweet hardshell case for less than $600...

Breedlove, based here in Bend, Oregon, has their Discovery Series guitars built overseas, as well... At $299 w/ a nice gig bag, they are the nicest "entry level" guitars I've played in the past decade. Plus they are fully warranteed and backed by Breedlove.

Shop around, pay attention and find one you like and you'll be fine!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
Also it is great to have a cheap quality alternative for people who just don't have the budget to buy the real thing...
Well, that is an interesting choice of words.
Popped my balloon.
Rained on my parade so to speak.

I thought my Ibanez AC240 and my Recording King RO-10 were REAL guitars?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

When discussions of Asian guitars ensue, Yamaha should always be thrown in the mix. I can't think of a guitar company at ANY price point that exceeds their level of Q/C and fit and finish. It's really quite remarkable.

scott memmer
Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Well, that is an interesting choice of words.

Popped my balloon.

Rained on my parade so to speak.

I thought my Ibanez AC240 and my Recording King RO-10 were REAL guitars?
Yeah, that was a little less than tactful.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:05 PM

I have 2 Chinese made guitars at present, a Yamaha FG820 and a Cort MR710 and I although these are my first guitars I have found that the build quality on both are very good. There were a couple of minor imperfections on the FG in the paint finish but a bit of micro polish fixed those. The Cort is really well made and it has become my favorite. I didn't realize how big a company Cort was at first.
I have owned several banjos in the past and my first was a Chinese SX brand cheapie that had a ton of faults and I ended up donating it as I would have felt guilty selling it. The next was a Gold Tone which was Chinese made but to the standards of an American company and that was a great instrument for the price and very well made.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Speaking as a bad man(I'm Gemini,so have both good and bad personas) I have a couple of rebadged guitars that I keep for particularly arrogant pickle sniffers that get put in their hands for appraisal.so far, without fail,they gush at the beautiful tone and balance of my trap guitars and although I have now spilt the beans on the origins of said guitars( privately) there is a lot to be said for the eyes ( seeing the magic words Martin and Gibson) fooling the brain into thinking something is fab when it is good but not really fab.( The inspiration came from an artist who fooled a bunch of psudo art critics into gushing about some chimp paintings simply because he said they were artistically brilliant, he was not popular after this experiment) ps some Chinese made guitars ARE fabulous.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 PM

My current flat tops are a vintage D28, a Huss and Dalton TDM, and two Eastman E10 series (D and OM). I don't find the Chinese guitars lacking in any way compared to the American guitars. Each has a unique voice, and all have that *magic* that make them a pleasure to play.

In contrast, I have a Korean built (I think) Ibanez artwood from the 90s that sounds like a tin can in comparison. It's a "higher end", all solid wood, early taylor 14 series knock off. Super comfortable to play, it was my teaching guitar for years. But it can't hold a candle to the Eastmans.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 07-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperservice View Post
Speaking as a bad man(I'm Gemini,so have both good and bad personas) I have a couple of rebadged guitars that I keep for particularly arrogant pickle sniffers that get put in their hands for appraisal.so far, without fail,they gush at the beautiful tone and balance of my trap guitars and although I have now spilt the beans on the origins of said guitars( privately) there is a lot to be said for the eyes ( seeing the magic words Martin and Gibson) fooling the brain into thinking something is fab when it is good but not really fab.( The inspiration came from an artist who fooled a bunch of psudo art critics into gushing about some chimp paintings simply because he said they were artistically brilliant, he was not popular after this experiment) ps some Chinese made guitars ARE fabulous.
Rebadged guitars, pickle sniffers, trap guitars, fab/not fab, magic words, pseudo art critics, chimp paintings??? Well, we can agree that some Chinese guitars are fabulous....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Rebadged guitars, pickle sniffers, trap guitars, fab/not fab, magic words, pseudo art critics, chimp paintings??? Well, we can agree that some Chinese guitars are fabulous....
PS.these guitars don't fool experts for a skinny minute,they spot the giveaways from a few metres away,but they get the sniffers going.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:16 AM

Well, if you glance at my signature you will see 2 Indiana guitars. These are made in China. Both were purchased from the same music store. Although ownership has changed hands between the two.

I purchased the Scout in 2007 and the Madison was a 2018 Christmas gift from my wife. Since the Madison was ordered and shipped some setup work needed done. But that is not uncommon even for a more expensive guitar.

The Scout I purchased at the music store. They took the time to setup the guitar before they put it out in the show room. At the time this guitar sold for $100. Not many places will setup a $100 guitar.

One of the selling points and still is that Indiana offers a 10 year warranty. For the first several years I owned the guitar I would tune it up, play it for 15 to 20 minutes and put it back in the bag and not touch it for another 6 months. That's not because it is a bad instrument. I just didn't have the desire to play. And is not because of the guitar, my Gibson SG also sat.

I have started playing again daily. You know, life's priorities some times change. Anyway after 12 years with the Scout there are no signs of neck issues, warped top, or loose bracing. I haven't even had to do a "tune up" on the setup. Just changed strings.

So to answer the question, I am sure there are some stinkers out there. But I am happy with the Chinese made Indiana.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-01-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperservice View Post
PS.these guitars don't fool experts for a skinny minute,they spot the giveaways from a few metres away,but they get the sniffers going.
So are you saying that you own these counterfeit guitars because they're "fabulous guitars" or to impress "arrogant pickle sniffers?" I'm confused....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 AM

Hold it. I love Kosher dills and have been known to sniff them. I also love value oriented guitars. Am I a pickle sniffer? Is either a bad thing? I guess I'm slightly confused as well but I think I know where Sleeper was generally going with this.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Well, if you glance at my signature you will see 2 Indiana guitars. These are made in China.....
This is kind of my gripe in a nutshell? (pickleshell?) Being from Indiana, the first time I heard of Indiana brand guitars, I was excited about them! I had to find out more, because here was a home state guitar builder!!! WRONG!
Eastman is a fine name, and their instruments are first rate. They do not pretend to be something they are not - they just produce very good quality instruments. But to recycle old names such as Loar, Recording King, and even my home state of Indiana in an effort to invoke a false sense of value is wrong, IMO. Just as bad as the Chibson knock-offs. Go ahead and build great guitars, just call'em what they are, not what they are NOT.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
So are you saying that you own these counterfeit guitars because they're "fabulous guitars" or to impress "arrogant pickle sniffers?" I'm confused....
Nope,I just aquired a pair of Chinese copies ( as part of a bass deal) and cleaned them up and put some decent machine heads,nut n saddles, restrung them and set them up.and although my guitar mate's could spot them for what they were,the sniffers,(blokes I knew, but not close mates) saw them at jam sessions and done their stuff, much to my initial enjoyment, followed by my guilty feeling for fooling them.the guilt however has not been enough to stop me fooling others if they happen to claim they know all there is to know about guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion