The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 11:51 PM

In the days before inexpensive clip-on electronic tuners became available, there were PLENTY of guitarists living in that fantasy world - or who at least thought they were. So many people I knew would just pick up their guitars and start whanging away on them without a second’s hesitation or attempt to tune up.

It’s interesting the sort of mass amnesia that many guitarists have about how woefully out of tune many amateur guitar players were back then.

In the first ten or fifteen years of the existence of the Anchorage Folk Festival, when I’d serve as an emcee I would often tune many of the performers’ guitars backstage right before they’d step out to play. It was amazing how many of their instruments were almost savagely out of tune, and once I handed them back the performers, in turn, would be amazed by how much better their guitars sounded.

While the current ubiquity of electronic tuners has made some players expect perfect intonation on every string at every fret (which is not physically possible in this particular universe,) still, that is infinitely preferable over how horribly out of tune so many guitar owners used to be.

And nobody seems to remember that....do you think that maybe there was a worldwide 12 second power outage at the exact same moment that I must have bonked my head?

Wade Hampton “I Sure Remember That, Even If Nobody Else Seems To” Miller
Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM

I was able to catch the movie this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I'm a slave to the "Tomatometer" on Rotten Tomatoes, and was discouraged by the barely fresh rating. I still really wanted to see the movie, but I had my expectations set pretty low.

I enjoyed it! It was a cute, fun movie. My friends and I all enjoyed it.

I found it interesting that supposedly, Chris Martin of Coldplay was originally supposed to play the role that Ed Sheerhan had. Scheduling conflicts prevented that.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I saw the movie at a local theater on Sunday evening at about 6 PM. By the time the show started there were about 35 people at the theater, mostly older, but some teenage grandchildren, too.

We enjoyed the show.

I write the above even though I am convinced that if everyone forgot that the Beatles existed and then if someone magically new how to play all their songs acceptably well, I am still convinced that nobody would have listened. The Beatles didn't just write good songs, they also were superb performers with appealing personalities. And finally, Paul McCartney, because of his great vocal range, added great high harmonies to so many great songs, and to me, that sound of Paul McCartney's high harmony is the signature sound of the Beatles.

There was a really interesting moment in the theater when the show was ending and the credits started and Paul McCartney's recording of Hey Jude came over the speakers. People in the audience started singing. And as the song went on, more and more people joined in the singing until everyone in the audience was singing Hey Jude. It really was kind of magic. It was kind of a tribute to the Beatles and our collective youth, now back there in time...

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I write the above even though I am convinced that if everyone forgot that the Beatles existed and then if someone magically new how to play all their songs acceptably well, I am still convinced that nobody would have listened. The Beatles didn't just write good songs, they also were superb performers with appealing personalities.
- Glenn
From what I understand Beatlemania in the US started just from the songs playing on the radio - by the time they were introduced to American audiences on Ed Sullivan they held the top 5 spots on the charts.

Of course the mood from the Kennedy assassination and the marketing effort to get that radio play helped, and I do agree that their vocal harmonies were a key ingredient.

The movie did kinda gloss over that just the songs alone did not do it, it was Ed Sheeran taking note and his support that provided the necessary exposure.

Last edited by brandall10; 07-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Wade thanks for the review. I didn't know anything about the movie, but now i'll probably see it.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 PM

I just saw the movie. I was excited that it looks exactly like my Martin CEO7. Wish I had his voice.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:23 PM

I think the songs stand up on their own. There's the scene where he's sitting around with some friends and his manager has just given him the new guitar (whatever the heck it is) and he starts playing "Yesterday", just him and the guitar. I thought it sounded pretty great.

And then they're all "Hey when did you write that? That's a good song." And he's "Good???!!! It's one of the greatest songs ever written!!!" And they're "Whoa, dude . . ."
Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Cute movie, but not one I'll probably see again. Do love Lily James, though!

Thought the guys voice was pretty good, though he really couldn't do the songs justice.

When the credits role and the original "Hey Jude" comes on...wow! Talk about lightening in a bottle. What a band, what vocals, what production, and what talent. The songs are stellar, but there was so much more to the Beatles than just superb songwriting.

scott
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Saw the movie opening weekend and really enjoyed it! I will definitely watch it again when it releases to streaming...
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Cute movie, but not one I'll probably see again. Do love Lily James, though!

Thought the guys voice was pretty good, though he really couldn't do the songs justice.

When the credits role and the original "Hey Jude" comes on...wow! Talk about lightening in a bottle. What a band, what vocals, what production, and what talent. The songs are stellar, but there was so much more to the Beatles than just superb songwriting.

scott
Yes, when "Hey Jude" came on as the credits started to roll, I thought -- WOW, what a sound, what a voice, and what a great recording. Yeah, lightning in a bottle is right! It's never just about songwriting, though you need that, too. You need all the ingredients.

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, when "Hey Jude" came on as the credits started to roll, I thought -- WOW, what a sound, what a voice, and what a great recording. Yeah, lightning in a bottle is right! It's never just about songwriting, though you need that, too. You need all the ingredients.

- Glenn
We had the same experience last weekend, as my wife would not budge during the credits until all of the sound was gone.
Hearing Hey Jude on the emagine theater's sound system also helped - way better than mine.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
In the days before inexpensive clip-on electronic tuners became available, there were PLENTY of guitarists living in that fantasy world - or who at least thought they were. So many people I knew would just pick up their guitars and start whanging away on them without a second’s hesitation or attempt to tune up.

It’s interesting the sort of mass amnesia that many guitarists have about how woefully out of tune many amateur guitar players were back then.

In the first ten or fifteen years of the existence of the Anchorage Folk Festival, when I’d serve as an emcee I would often tune many of the performers’ guitars backstage right before they’d step out to play. It was amazing how many of their instruments were almost savagely out of tune, and once I handed them back the performers, in turn, would be amazed by how much better their guitars sounded.

While the current ubiquity of electronic tuners has made some players expect perfect intonation on every string at every fret (which is not physically possible in this particular universe,) still, that is infinitely preferable over how horribly out of tune so many guitar owners used to be.

And nobody seems to remember that....do you think that maybe there was a worldwide 12 second power outage at the exact same moment that I must have bonked my head?

Wade Hampton “I Sure Remember That, Even If Nobody Else Seems To” Miller
It still happens today. I was at a songwriter's thing and I could tell the guy's guitar was out of tune. I offered him my Snark or my Strobe tuner and he said: "No thanks, I don't use tuners". And all I thought was, "Well, maybe you should".
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Thanks for identifying the guitar.

It was a fun movie, but like all fantasies, you have to suspend your disbelief and accept the things that don't make sense. Thinking about how the music in the film is 50+ years old and still better than much of the pop of today. But it was the times and culture that made them a success and that's hard to create in todays manufactured music environment.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM

After reading this thread, my SO and I went to see Yesterday last night. She loved it as much as I did. It’s a good fun movie that I recommend. All parts are perfectly cast I think.
I agree with the Whiskey Sunset and CEO-7 assessment of the protagonist’s guitar(s). They never have only one of something in any movie, so they used two that would look identical to non-guitar people.
Someone mentioned that it is not realistic that his manager would be able to afford a Whiskey Sunset on a teacher’s salary. Well, that is not the least realistic thing about this movie! Suspension of disbelief is the order of the day, it’s a story not a documentary.

The director and writer really know how to tug at the heartstrings.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

Last edited by Dreadfulnaught; 07-12-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
My wife and I saw the movie at a local theater on Sunday evening at about 6 PM. By the time the show started there were about 35 people at the theater, mostly older, but some teenage grandchildren, too.

We enjoyed the show.

I write the above even though I am convinced that if everyone forgot that the Beatles existed and then if someone magically new how to play all their songs acceptably well, I am still convinced that nobody would have listened. The Beatles didn't just write good songs, they also were superb performers with appealing personalities. And finally, Paul McCartney, because of his great vocal range, added great high harmonies to so many great songs, and to me, that sound of Paul McCartney's high harmony is the signature sound of the Beatles.

There was a really interesting moment in the theater when the show was ending and the credits started and Paul McCartney's recording of Hey Jude came over the speakers. People in the audience started singing. And as the song went on, more and more people joined in the singing until everyone in the audience was singing Hey Jude. It really was kind of magic. It was kind of a tribute to the Beatles and our collective youth, now back there in time...

- Glenn
Really enjoyed your take on this Glenn and I agree. In fact, as the movie progressed, the most powerful representations of the songs were where his girlfriend sang harmonies and other instruments were added. Without those, they seemed nice but somewhat nondescript as they do when I sing them.

I agree with what you said about McCartney's high harmonies, but the three part harmonies with John and George were previously unheard of in popular guitar music, especially where they placed them...that too, made the Beatles songs what they were. Lastly, the infectious energy of the songs themselves and the performances were a huge hook for all those of us.

BTW, almost everyone in our theater stayed to listen to the real "Hey Jude" while the credits rolled. Man, you just can't help but to feel the draw of those guys and those songs.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion