The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 AM

I've been playing since 1964 and have not quit yet. It seems unlikely at this point unless something untoward happens.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Umm - not once. It has literally never entered my mind.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm reminded of the story a former Marine, the senior associate a place where I worked while in college, used to tell: "Sometimes my wife and I get into an argument and she'll got to the door and say, 'I've had enough. I'm leaving.' I'll say, 'Wait a minute! Let me get my hat. I'm going too.' "

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Once and it was a fairly long self-imposed exile. I remember when playing my first gig around 1966, when I had a lot more chutzpah than talent, that this is what I wanted to do for a living, About a decade later, I got my wish but found that somewhere along the way it had become a job and stopped being fun. I came back about 15 years ago but now keep it very informal - sitting in, doing some back up, playing with a small band with a floating lineup at open mics a friend hosts, and such. Could not be happier.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Quit? Never, been playing continuously since '67. But there have been seasons when family, career, and other obligations put guitar much lower on my priority list.
Same here. I started playing guitars in the early 60's. I got interested in bagpipes and for a short time I played "the pipes" more than I played my guitar but I never stopped playing my guitars.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:43 PM

I started playing the guitar when I was 11 or 12 so that would be 71 or 72 then when I got out of the service in 83 life kinda got in the way and I did send play much at all until 2004 and I picked it up again and have played since..........And the sad part is that I still suck lol
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 04-21-2019, 01:47 PM

I didn't actually quit (I still had the guitar,) but it went on the "back burner" from about age 21 till my late 50s. So I "sort of" quit once, but I don't call it quitting since I still had my guitar.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:02 PM

I took up acoustic guitar in my late teens and with some practice and performance reached a level of mediocrity. I continued until I finally got frustrated with my lack of progress and quit after playing for maybe a total of 5-6 years. Back then there was no internet to learn from and I was too poor to afford private lessons.

Some 38 years later I came back to guitar when I decided I wanted to perform a song for my daughter at her Bat Mitzvah. That was 4 years ago and I'm still at it, playing much better than I did in my early 20's, the internet helped when I first started back and I am in a financial position to be able to afford private lessons now. But the biggest difference is I am far more disciplined about practicing than I was 40 years ago.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Never..
started around 10, I'm 62... and like the bunny on the energizer commercials.. still going...
Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Impossible.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Geeez what a bunch of quitters!!
Ha i took lessons for 6 months in 6 grade. wanted to play like elvis. I quit after
that and picked it up again at 17. I was chasing a girl and thought it would help.
Ha the thing one learns in life. Well that was in 71-72 been playing since.
There has been times when i havnt been in bands but ive
always played. I dont think it has ever gotton me a girl. Myth busted.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Geeez what a bunch of quitters!!
Ha i took lessons for 6 months in 6 grade. wanted to play like elvis. I quit after
that and picked it up again at 17. I was chasing a girl and thought it would help.
Ha the thing one learns in life. Well that was in 71-72 been playing since.
There has been times when i havnt been in bands but ive
always played. I dont think it has ever gotton me a girl. Myth busted.
Oh, maybe it was a myth for you, but many of us who gigged out during our bachelor years definitely connected with women we wouldn't have met otherwise. In fact, I married one of them, and we're coming up on our 35th wedding anniversary next month.

Yeah, I had a wonderful time as a bachelor musician, and was smart enough to settle down when I met the right woman to settle down with.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 PM

Once, from 1983 to 1996
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Several times over my 66 year lifespan.

A year or so after I received my initial guitar for my 10th birthdayIt's action was so high I reverted to playing piano for the next 10 years.

During high school and college I played guitar very sporadically until 15 years had elapsed.

Picked up my first Martin,the original D-1 in 1994 and have continued to play guitar seriously this past quarter century.Flirted with some electric in the late 90s, but exclusively acoustic until present.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 PM

I've never quit, but have had periods (weeks, a few times even months) where I was too busy to play as life gets in the way and people have choices on how to spend their time (family always wins). But as things settle down and I get a bit more free time I always go back and thoroughly enjoy my time playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion