The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 01:58 PM

I've never heard these criticisms leveled at Lowdens which makes me think - could u post a sound clip - just wondering what 'tone' you create.
Just curious.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
I've never heard these criticisms leveled at Lowdens which makes me think - could u post a sound clip - just wondering what 'tone' you create.
Just curious.
I haven't seen any 'criticisms' of Lowden guitars here, just comments on how different-sounding they are to the major US-builders' instruments - Martin/Gibson/Taylor, f'rinstance.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM

My OM-21 sounds very much like a Martin. My two Lowdens, an O23 which I had to swap for a S25 because it was just too big, never sounded like a Martin. The O23 sounded like a J200 should sound but never will, the S25 is more like something an L00 dreams of, knowing it will never get there.

Lowdens have a different response curve and tonal balance from American style guitars. You need to spend some time with one to understand it. Once you do, you will need one. But it will not sound like a Martin, so you need at least one Lowden and one Martin. Go to the shop now and take care of it.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 PM

My F35 has Redwood face with Koa back and sides. Its warm and yet articulate at the same time. It is not a Gibson or Martin though. It has more depth and vast overtones making it easy to enjoy acoustically though mine has the Baggs Element installed. Its not great for loud stages or hard strumming but sure excels at anything with more delicate tone from fingerstyle or from strumming. Its a masterpiece for sure and though I have owned guitars from the highest end luthiers, my Lowden sits above the rest.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM

You know, I sure don't want to be disrespectful but of all the Lowden's I've played and heard, your impression of the sound would be the exact opposite of my impressions. I owned an O25 for about five years and hated that I had to sell it for an electric to play in church. I'm currently in the market for a used Lowden precisely because of that deep bass rich sound. Honestly, are you sure it was a Lowden you played/heard?

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
THAT is beautiful tone!
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
You know, I sure don't want to be disrespectful but of all the Lowden's I've played and heard, your impression of the sound would be the exact opposite of my impressions. I owned an O25 for about five years and hated that I had to sell it for an electric to play in church. I'm currently in the market for a used Lowden precisely because of that deep bass rich sound. Honestly, are you sure it was a Lowden you played/heard?

-jay
Yes, I've played several different Lowdens over the years. And the tone I've consistently heard has always surprised me given the relatively large size of the guitars. They're certainly loud, which is great, but what some folks praise as clarity and evenness has left me wanting a bit more boom and richness.

This is not a right/wrong issue, it's just a taste issue. I'm just wondering if there are models out there that might be a bit lusher sounding.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

My F-23 (Cedar/Walnut) has a tone that is more than sufficiently warm for my tastes.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
I'm just wondering if there are models out there that might be a bit lusher sounding.
I see you have a Goodall and a Froggy. I have a Froggy H-12 EIR and a Bourgeois Sig D Madacascar. These guitars have the rich, lush sound I'm guessing you're thinking of. My Bourgeois has a bass like rich chocolate. I haven't heard/played a Lowden that's like it.

I'm on the fence about my Lowden O23 walnut/redwood. It has simmer and rich overtones. I get the "nasal" thing you mention. I play the Lowden and hear the droning of Celtic pipes and flutes in my head. It's trying to turn me into a lyrical guitarist when I'm really just a fingerpicker.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Default Shape and size also matters...

...according to George.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-28-2018, 03:36 PM

I wouldn't describe my F25 as metallic or harsh but we all have different ears.

Hamburg, have you ever tried any Avalon or Mcilroy guitars? They too have the "Irish" tone. Just wondering if you find them any different than Lowden. 've never had the opportunity to play, or even see one of those two before.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm always struck, in this kind of discussion, how different our individual perceptions can be regarding the 'character' of an instrument. What one person hears as 'deep' or 'warm' can be perceived as something completely different by another.

Who's right? Well we all are, of course - we all have our own ears and our own personal perceptions. Beauty is in the ear of the behearer, I guess!

Great thread, enjoying it very much.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I see you have a Goodall and a Froggy. I have a Froggy H-12 EIR and a Bourgeois Sig D Madacascar. These guitars have the rich, lush sound I'm guessing you're thinking of. My Bourgeois has a bass like rich chocolate. I haven't heard/played a Lowden that's like it.

I'm on the fence about my Lowden O23 walnut/redwood. It has simmer and rich overtones. I get the "nasal" thing you mention. I play the Lowden and hear the droning of Celtic pipes and flutes in my head. It's trying to turn me into a lyrical guitarist when I'm really just a fingerpicker.
Well said, ZMF! I'm just a fingerpicker, too. Even "fingerstyle" is too fancy a word for me.

Yes, Goodall and Froggy are my cup of tea. And glad you get my "nasal" comment. Which is not derogatory at all, just an attempt to describe a certain tonal quality.

I'm gonna seek out some more Lowdens and see if we can bond. Thanks again for all the great comments.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
That is crazy good sounding. The piece the player chose fit the haunting tone perfectly.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 PM

It is a bit like asking which is the best Martin or Gibson. Here come the million opinions.

I have 3 Lowdens and they are very, very different from each other.

My first one was a 1993 S35 I traded other guitars for and I fell in love. It is the perfect little fingerpicker for my style, acoustic fingerpicking bare fingered - Cedar over Tasmanian Blackwood.

Later, I saw a narrow body stage edition Lowden LSE1 from 1993 and just couldn't let anyone else get it! Sitka over Mahogany. Very different.

So I gassed for a large O22 next, bought it new even! Wonderful giant fingerpicker! Cedar over Mahogany, so different it is off the scale of 'different' compared to my S35.....

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion