The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-23-2016, 03:32 AM

I wouldn't recommend audacity as it's really basic. Don't go into complex DAWs unless you really-really need to. A home recording option that I'm very happy with is Adobe Audition. Does not use a lot of resources and allows a lot of editing.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
I'm just getting into recording at home and find Garageband 10 has more than enough bells and whistle to keep be busy for long time to come.
Me too, love it.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 PM

I've started 4 years ago recording with Sonar LE (came with a Samson microphone) but once I figure out Garage Band, I ditched LE.

Recently, I was introduced to the iPhone app Music Notes (I use the Zoom iQ5 microphone). For me it is a THE most useful app because I travel a lot with my guitar. Also, as a user I have the ability to record and add drum and base rhythm (the app does that automatically, as well as the chord progression of the project) to any new idea on the go. Then all projects are send to Logic Pro X which is more than enough for me (majority of projects are 2-4 tracks maximum).
Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Default Recording software

I've been using Reaper for about 4 years or so. I was recommended it as it was free to download and would allow me to learn about digital recording and mixing. Eventually I bought the license for it and nowadays I would class myself as a proficient user - though there are sophisticated features that leave me baffled or that I just haven't needed to explore yet.

While I agree that PT is still the industry standard for all the reasons stated earlier the tide is turning, not least through Avid's focus on the subscription model for many of their products. I know professionals who are migrating their projects away from PT for this reason.

What's more, I read an article in a Swedish trade magazine not that long ago that focussed on mastering and post production for film and music. One of the engineers interviewed who worked at a mastering studios in Stockholm used Reaper.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I've been using Reaper for about 4 years or so. I was recommended it as it was free to download and would allow me to learn about digital recording and mixing. Eventually I bought the license for it and nowadays I would class myself as a proficient user - though there are sophisticated features that leave me baffled or that I just haven't needed to explore yet.

While I agree that PT is still the industry standard for all the reasons stated earlier the tide is turning, not least through Avid's focus on the subscription model for many of their products. I know professionals who are migrating their projects away from PT for this reason.

What's more, I read an article in a Swedish trade magazine not that long ago that focussed on mastering and post production for film and music. One of the engineers interviewed who worked at a mastering studios in Stockholm used Reaper.
Not to beat a dead horse (poor Mr. Ed long been dead on the floor) but the tide is decidedly not turning. I do think those in my industry, which is audio for motion picture and television, kinda wonder just how long Avid is gonna hang in there. That said the interchanability between Pro Tools editors is absolutely mandatory. If you look at the trades here in Los Angeles most if not all advertise for a "Pro Tools" engineer. I can't think of a single major project I've worked on in the last 20 years that hasn't passed between multiple engineers, multiple bays, multiple facilities, back and forth between Avid editors and Pro Tools editors and even moved back and forth between the coasts. If someone along the lines jumped up and said they were working in Reaper they'd simple not be hired.

It goes even deeper when you begin to see the work-flow in various facilities. Some are ginormously anal with regard to keeping their Pro Tools templates exactly the same from bay to bay, engineer to engineer. There's little worse than to try an untangle a night crews mess who felt they'd be better off using their own special routing. The equivalent in the old days off wiping a board clean.

There are pragmatic and tangible reasons why Pro Tools is (at least in my industry) the standard. I'm certainly, like most, not sure what the future may bring Avid as it appears a bit rocky these days but I don't see any software anywhere even close to penetrating the industry.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

What advantages does Reaper give over Audacity? I use two condensor mics with one guitar.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:45 PM

I've been using Adobe Audition for about a dozen years now and I like it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I've been using Adobe Audition for about a dozen years now and I like it.
Free version ?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What advantages does Reaper give over Audacity? I use two condensor mics with one guitar.
Audacity is a very basic recording software with minimal features and capabilities where as Reaper has many more
features and capabilities that Audacity doesn't have.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 03-29-2016, 04:05 AM

I am about to either buy Reaper or Logic. The price of Reaper is fantastic but something is making me lean towards Logic and I think it's because of the whole workflow situation.

Both of these programs are overkill for what I need (more so logic) but when I decide I will take it upon myself to learn it.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
I am about to either buy Reaper or Logic. The price of Reaper is fantastic but something is making me lean towards Logic and I think it's because of the whole workflow situation.

Both of these programs are overkill for what I need (more so logic) but when I decide I will take it upon myself to learn it.
One of the great things about Reaper is that you can download the full uncrippled version and try it out for free! Once you decide you want to keep using it, register it for $60.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-29-2016, 09:07 AM

Agreed. This is just what I am doing now. What is putting me off logic is that it seems incredibly saturated with stuff for electronic music and I just can't see me using the thousands of instruments that are on offer - not to mention the amount of hard drive space.

I know I want more than Audacity can offer and I really don't like Garageband because I have tried it several times and kind of got frustrated with it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman60 View Post
Audacity is a very basic recording software with minimal features and capabilities where as Reaper has many more
features and capabilities that Audacity doesn't have.
What the heck, I'll give it a shot.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
In my experience the difference that has the most impact on my simple acoustic guitar recordings is the ability to hear effects and adjustments to effects in real time. Audacity requires that one render a bit of audio to hear how an effect sounds. REAPER lets me twiddle knobs while the music plays.

There are literally hundreds of additional capabilities in REAPER but many of them are not hugely important for solo acoustic guitar.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 PM

And every time I think about buying logic Fran comes along and makes me feel that reaper is the one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD