The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow SOLD!!: 2014 Applegate SJ Ziricote/Swiss Ryan Bevel, Soundport *W-O-W!*

2014 Applegate SJ Ziricote/Swiss

Well, I've been enjoying this guitar immensely that i purchased not long ago from a well respected AGF brother. I have several guitars for sale at the moment and one or more of them will sell. As such, I've decided to let the market decide which I keep. The tone of this guitar is gorgeous. It is sper responsive to the lightest touch and really projects. I would call the guitar "loud" but that seems so disrespectful to this beauty.

So, I can't think of a better way to say the things that Rye said in his ad, so here are his words again:

He said:

"With Brian Applegate having been mentored by no other than Jim Olson himself, it's no surprise that the craftsmanship is top notch and the sound is very "Olson-esque". Even the bridge is identical to that of an Olson. Brian's build and bracing also makes for a very responsive guitar with great amount of sustain and projection.

This one has the following premium upgrades/features:

• Ziricote and Swiss/Euro wood upgrade
Ziricote neck (soft V profile) and Bocote bindings
• Bound sound port that adds even more volume and projection to an already very responsive and lightly built guitar. You can definitely hear the difference when you cover and open it with your hand. It just adds another dimension to the overall sweet voice of this guitar.
• A visually appealing Ryan-style arm bevel that makes the guitar ergonomic and very comfortable to play.
Gold EVO frets that are much more durable than your standard nickel wires and they look really nice too.
• K&K Mini pick-up
• Finally, the richly hued abalone inlays that make up the interlocking diamond rosette and fingerboard inlays just completes the upscale look of this guitar.

From Brian's website:

"The SJ is perfectly suited for finger style and solo guitarists, but still offers enough versatility for flat-pickers to enjoy. This instrument affords the player exceptional balance of tone across the scale and crystal clear note articulation. Its slightly smaller size makes it comfortable to hold and play, yet it maintains a commanding voice and powerful projection. The low profile, 5-piece neck allows for remarkable playability and sustain. These characteristics have made the SJ Applegate’s most popular guitar model."

Specifications:

Ziricote back and sides
Swiss/Euro Spruce top
Ziricote/Bocote neck
Bocote bindings
Interlocking diamond rosette
Ryan style arm bevel with Bocote veneer
Sound port bound in Bocote
Ebony bridge and fretboard
Soft V neck profile
Gold Evo fret wire
Neck dart
Gotoh Delta 510 cosmo black tuners with ebony buttons
Bone nut and saddle
Clear pickguard
K&K Mini pick-up
Deluxe arched TKL hardshell case

Measurements from Brian's website:

Standard Scale length
Body length 19.6
Upper Bout 11.1875
Lower Bout 15.25
Waist 9.3125
Nut width 1.75
Saddle spacing 2 3/8"
Depth at Head Block 3.875
Depth at tail Block 4.625

Condition (the same as when Rye said the following): This Applegate is in very good condition with excellent playability and no structural issues. The only blemishes I can see are a few tiny indentations on the top that are only visible when you really look closely, and a light finish scratch at the back (that probably will buff out). I can send close up pics of them upon request. Other than that, it's an awesome playing and sounding guitar. It was recently setup at Dream Guitars earlier this year so action and playability is spot on. Comes from a pet and smoke free home. Always properly humidified in my guitar room and always stored in its case when not being played. Comes with a Deluxe arched TKL hardshell case that is in pristine condition.

SOLD!! plus shipping fully insured plus Paypal. Open to reasonable offers...no trades at this time.

Important Note: The guitar will include the original ebony pins with abalone dots that came with the guitar. The FWI pins shown in the pictures will NOT be included.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 12-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Thumbs up

Make that double WOW!!!! Admired it before, and now again... In the running for the most beautiful guitar on the forum. From the short list of "top of the top" sellers in the forum.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Smile Very nice guitar!

Applegate an A+

Mike, it's hard to see the bevel or sound port in your pics. I know you're just dying to add another pic or two. Thx, JD
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Applegate SJ

Top notch builder and seller...someone is going to get a great guitar here! Please someone remove this temptation.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD123 View Post
Applegate an A+

Mike, it's hard to see the bevel or sound port in your pics. I know you're just dying to add another pic or two. Thx, JD
Golly JD, you're right...I missed some of the most important parts. Actually, my good brother Rye took such great pics of those parts, I'm going to use his pics.

So, here they are:

The bound sound port!!

The very cool Ryan bevel:

And one more close-up look at the rosette:

And...ONE MORE thing...check out the coolest grain on the planet on that neck. WOWOWOWOW!!

A Ziricote neck. The more I look at this guitar, the more I think i should mark it UP

Someone will LOVE this guitar!!

Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 PM

Red face

The only word that comes to mind for me Mike is "SPECTACULAR!!!"

I had a ziricote guitar and for many years, it was my favorite to play - felt the wood imparted tonal qualites somewhere between a mahogany and a good rosewood with the best that both have to offer - almost in the striped ebony style - but that was mine,

What's the saddle spacing on this piece?
I may have missed that - I'm a sucker for non cutaway guitars.

Best for fingerstyle, flatpicking, stummable?

Last edited by Montesdad; 12-02-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
The only word that comes to mind for me Mike is "SPECTACULAR!!!"

I had a ziricote guitar and for many years, it was my favorite to play - felt the wood imparted tonal qualites somewhere between a mahogany and a good rosewood with the best that both have to offer - almost in the striped ebony style - but that was mine,

What's the saddle spacing on this piece?
I may have missed that - I'm a sucker for non cutaway guitars.

Best for fingerstyle, flatpicking, stummable?
Oh my - be still my heart.
Nicholas, Thanks for asking and your interest. I agree these woods are spectacular tonally. The saddle spacing is 2 3/8". Regarding the playability or preferred playing style, I really like it for fingerstyle and I like to strum it. The body is deep enough to provide enough "lush overtone factor" to make it sound great strummed. It has wonderful projection. I'm really not a flatpicker, so I really can't comment on that but I have to believe it would do fine.

All I can say with absolute confidence is that this guitar is the "total package"...gorgeous to look at, wonderful to play.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I have a walnut/redwood SJ and really like it. GLWS.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 AM

Default Headstock

Hey Woody - beautiful guitar. Any chance of getting a shot of the headstock?

Jim
Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 AM

Default Headstock

Hey Woody,

Any chance of getting a pic of the headstock?

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1776 View Post
Hey Woody,

Any chance of getting a pic of the headstock?

Thanks, Jim
Jim,

The included a couple of pics of the headstock in my first post, but I'm happy to provide a few more here:

Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 AM

I originally sold this guitar a year or two ago, regretted it and bought her back with the intention of keeping her for good this time. However, a rare guitar popped up and unfortunately, the only way to make it happen was to let her go again. It was a THOUGH choice to say the least as this was hands down one of the best from the several Applegates I have owned. I wouldn't mind buying this back again but it's just not in the cards right now.

Top notch seller + a gem of a guitar -- you just couldn't go wrong here!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
I originally sold this guitar a year or two ago, regretted it and bought her back with the intention of keeping her for good this time. However, a rare guitar popped up and unfortunately, the only way to make it happen was to let her go again. It was a THOUGH choice to say the least as this was hands down one of the best from the several Applegates I have owned. I wouldn't mind buying this back again but it's just not in the cards right now.

Top notch seller + a gem of a guitar -- you just couldn't go wrong here!
Thanks Rye for the words of support. My email "inbox" is blowing up with opportunities to sell this one. I will be shocked if it lasts through the morning. Thanks AGF!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

SOLD and paid in full. Thanks AGF!!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Smile Well, that was fast!

Yay team! Congrats to the new owner!!!

Mike, it is fortunate you have others to console you in your loss...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars