The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM

I came across this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Luthi...-/201106179581

Described as being close to match for Koa
Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Sapwood and crotch for $195.. dreaming.

Like koa, dreaming.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Wow - this place is crazy (the awesome kind). Very cool to see the sleuthing done here. I have an AJ with Bhilwara and was always curious as to what exactly it is. To me, it always sounded somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. And I always thought the grain and appearance of the wood was somewhat peculiar - not bad or ugly, just didn't look like rosewood to me. But whatever it is, I really enjoy the guitar and still play it almost daily. Thank you guys for your work.

I posted this sample when I got the guitar around Christmas 2012, but in case anyone is interested in how it sounds:

Sorry it's mostly sloppy, aggressive strumming, as that's what I bought it for. But I've done a little crosspicking on it and it sounds great. Not really my first choice for fingerstyle stuff though.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 PM

It's unconscionable that any guitar maker would market a guitar without being completely honest and above board about specifying the scientific genus and species of the woods used in its construction. Would you buy a guitar if the maker advertised it as being made of "mystic wonder tonewood?" Then why would you buy a guitar of "bhilwara rosewood" which apparently has no more meaning than "mystic wonder tonewood?"

Folks, this stuff matters. If you accept crap marketing buzzwords for instruments you are paying big bucks for, then I'm inclined to think you get what you deserve. I'd prefer to work with makers who are honest about the materials they use.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 PM

well for me, I didn't buy it based on any specs or marketing materials. I bought it because I spent hours and hours playing different guitars looking for the one that spoke to me. I didn't know what kind of wood it (allegedly) was built from until after I played it for awhile. And I chose it over some fancier guitars that probably have even more cachet and pedigree (e.g. a Collings CJ35) because it sounded better to me.

I agree with you that what they did was deceptive, but in the end, I'm not going to get too hung up on it because I still like how it sounds and play it almost every day. Isn't that the important thing? People get so hung up on specs and woods here, but isn't it ultimately the tone that matters?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stephen View Post
well for me, I didn't buy it based on any specs or marketing materials. I bought it because I spent hours and hours playing different guitars looking for the one that spoke to me. I didn't know what kind of wood it (allegedly) was built from until after I played it for awhile. And I chose it over some fancier guitars that probably have even more cachet and pedigree (e.g. a Collings CJ35) because it sounded better to me.

I agree with you that what they did was deceptive, but in the end, I'm not going to get too hung up on it because I still like how it sounds and play it almost every day. Isn't that the important thing? People get so hung up on specs and woods here, but isn't it ultimately the tone that matters?
So would you pay top bucks for the Taylor Pallet Guitar?
http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3...hop_Pallet.htm
Old 06-22-2014, 05:11 PM

If there was something about that guitar that appealed to me (whether the tone or the anticipated collectability), sure I would. Obviously, since the listing shows that it was sold, someone thought it was worth it. Who are you to judge them?

Again, I don't know how to explain it to you - I don't buy guitars on specs or what wood they're made from. I buy them based on how they sound. If you just buy a guitar based on what its labels are, then you have every right to be disappointed in yourself for owning it. Luckily, that's not me.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM

Bumping this old thread as I've been doing heavy research into the Gibson AJ with Amberburst. I'm still trying to confirm the b/s wood on those. The one I'm eyeing looks like EIR but the specs online seem to hint at 'mystic' rosewood which I think is also bhilwara. I'm looking at you WHM to keep me honest here!

So is the consensus that bhilwara/mystic RW has a hybrid tone somewhere between RW and Hog? If so, that's a bummer. I love these Amberburst AJs but I want purely a RW tone. I'm not a fan of Hog. I have 3 threads going now, all revolving around my search for the perfect AJ. I apologize

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I'll do it. This has got me curious now. I'll call them on Monday & will report back if there's anything to report.

whm
I wonder if Gibson has caller ID??
Old 01-25-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Bumping this old thread as I've been doing heavy research into the Gibson AJ with Amberburst. I'm still trying to confirm the b/s wood on those. The one I'm eyeing looks like EIR but the specs online seem to hint at 'mystic' rosewood which I think is also bhilwara. I'm looking at you WHM to keep me honest here!

So is the consensus that bhilwara/mystic RW has a hybrid tone somewhere between RW and Hog? If so, that's a bummer. I love these Amberburst AJs but I want purely a RW tone. I'm not a fan of Hog. I have 3 threads going now, all revolving around my search for the perfect AJ. I apologize
My 2013 J-45 Gibson is "mystic" rosewood. Supposedly, Ren Ferguson found this special "batch" and brought it back to make these custom guitars. It's still EIR. I love my guitar but I chuckle everytime I hear "mystic" anything.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm about to hit a few guitar shops and check out Gibson slope-shoulders. One shop had advanced jumbos with bhilwara rosewood B/S. I haven't heard of this rosewood before, and use some enlightenment.

Thanks.
It’s an exotic sounding name that implies rarity, so more money can be charged. Like Fine Corinthian Leather, if you’re old enough to remember that one. Close relative of Chlamydian Burlwood and Neville Island Schmooobingabinga.
Back and sides don’t matter. Top and bracing do.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM

Ah nice old thread for an ongoing issue. When I read Albizia odoratissima I noticed that this is a very close relative to the more commonly used Albizia saman. Now the latter is probably best known as "Monkeypod" but I've seen Vietnam built instruments labels this as Koa, and in Spanish it's known as "Acacia preta" and put in with the Acacia family.

It is sad that instrument marketing types are creating this hype about tonewoods, and then fill the demand with creative names and wood associations that botanically don't exist. I would much prefer it if the term rosewood was restricted to Dalbergia, mahogany to Swietenia, and koa to Hawaiian Acacia koa. The more or less related "cousins" to these woods should be labeled by their own names. There can be excellent instruments made of Siris, Monkeypod, Pau Ferro, Khaya, Sapele, Blackwood etc etc ... and we should name them as such and not pretend they are made of something different.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Ah nice old thread for an ongoing issue.
. Just for the record, back in 2014, I never did get around to trying out those Gibsons. But the knowledge base of this forum still impresses me.

Guess my take-home in 2019 is if the wood, whatever it is, isn't too ugly, and and the guitar sounds very good, consider a purchase.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Bumping this old thread as I've been doing heavy research into the Gibson AJ with Amberburst. I'm still trying to confirm the b/s wood on those. The one I'm eyeing looks like EIR but the specs online seem to hint at 'mystic' rosewood which I think is also bhilwara. I'm looking at you WHM to keep me honest here.
Gibson’s so-called “mystic” rosewood is just flat sawn (slab cut) Indian rosewood. Traditionally quarter sawn wood is chosen for building guitars, but its cost is higher than slab cut wood. So Gibson is taking cheaper wood and promoting it as something desirable.

Hey, that’s just business. I’m not going to buy a guitar made out of flat sawn wood, but more power to Gibson for using it.

Now, this thread is five years old, and I’m not certain any guitar companies are still promoting “bhilwara” wood. But if I remember correctly, whatever it is, it’s not a true rosewood.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-25-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Gibson’s so-called “mystic” rosewood is just flat sawn (slab cut) Indian rosewood. Traditionally quarter sawn wood is chosen for building guitars, but its cost is higher than slab cut wood. So Gibson is taking cheaper wood and promoting it as something desirable.

Hey, that’s just business. I’m not going to buy a guitar made out of flat sawn wood, but more power to Gibson for using it.

Now, this thread is five years old, and I’m not certain any guitar companies are still promoting “bhilwara” wood. But if I remember correctly, whatever it is, it’s not a true rosewood.

Wade Hampton Miller
I appreciate the response! You're a wealth of knowledge, sir.

My YouTube Grooves

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion