The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2001, 07:16 PM

Post Sunburst or Sunbust?

Ok, I know that I just got done capping on the stark white binding of the 800 series. I thought that was the only thing that I didn't care for on all of the Taylors that I have seen. I'm really not a negative person at all. Well, let me tell you. I went to Buffalo Brothers today to check on my 514c that I have on order (I could have called but I needed a reason to go play some Taylors ). When I walked over to the Taylor wall I thought someone had put a Gibson or something like that in the wrong place. Boy was I wrong! I was looking at a brand new 510 with the sunburst! I couldn't believe it. The guitar sounded just beautiful, but the sunburst for me has got to go! Hehe. I guess I'm just not into that 70's retro type look. The quality of the workmanship was excellent if you like the sunburst. I just have a hard time equating it with a Taylor. Has anybody else seen one yet? If so, what did you think?

Shea

P.S. I would buy it though if the price was right. After all, it still sounded great!
Old 02-22-2001, 08:04 PM

Hrm...I don't really like the sunburst finish too much either...especially if someone gets it on a 900 series (!!!!, PLEASE NO!!). I guess if you really, really, like it, then to each their own, but I like the true beauty of the wood. I may like how the 600 series looks witha sunburst, but I have yet to see that yet. hehe
Randall
Old 02-22-2001, 09:30 PM

Wink

On the other hand, I think sunbursts can be very attractive. Can't wait to see one in person. The pictures I've seen suggest Taylor is doing right, ala Collings.

In particular I'm stoked about the 600 series front back sunbursts. I saw a Collings Maple JUmbo done that way and it was stunning.

I find the engleman to be too white for my taste. I prefer the antique toner on my '97 sitka spruce 710. Although it wouldn't keep me from buying one with exceptional tone, I think it would be preferable to have the sunburst to tone down the starkness.

I wonder about the roots of the acceptance or rejection of the sunburst esthetic. I can't believe it is genetic, like which way you can roll your tounge. My guess it has some (or several, considering diversity) cultural origin. For me, it kind of goes back to the artists I was exposed to as a kid. My rough survey of my memory suggests that I was more partial to Gibson drivers than Martin. Maybe if your diet was rooted in pure, no makeup folk you have a different outlook.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:27 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

One of my oldest guitars is a 1954 Gibson f-hole hollow body archtop electric. It has a sunburst finish and to me it looks just as it should. That said, I just can't stand sunburst on acoustic flat top guitars. It just looks cheap to me. It is of course a matter of personal taste but I can't imagine that I would ever buy one no matter how good it sounded. It would just look too weird. Although I do sometimes play with my eyes closed and of course I have not seen the Taylor sunburst yet. Oh well you never know. I guess there must be a good number of people who like them or Taylor would not have offered it.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:35 PM

Hi Bill. Your comments just made me aware of what it is that I don't like about it. It is on a flat top guitar. I think you are right. I tried to think of other guitars that had the sunburst that I didn't think "yuk"! None of them were a flat top. Bingo........

Shea
Old 02-22-2001, 10:35 PM

Thumbs down

I'm with y'all. Thumbs down on the sunburst. I haven't seen one live, but in pictures they look awful! Oh well, maybe I'll grow to appreciate them in time. Wouldn't be the first time my tastes have changed. I remember hating the looks of the Taylor pickguard first time I saw one.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:23 PM

Thumbs down

I've seen a couple of live ones, and I still hate them.
The 610 I saw with the burst sounded good, but visually did nothing but make me want to run screaming from the store. Took a closer look and figured why they are doing it -- to use up all of the plain unfigured blah maple they have laying around. This guitar had maybe five enlongated bumps that might be called "flame" if you stretched the definition.
The 512 was ok, as have been the five or six I have seen in previous forays.
But I will NEVER EVER be pleased with them doing the burst on a Presentation! Eegads! What were they thinking?
I still can't get over the "cheapie" guitars having sunbursts to cover over less than perfect tops. I will always think they are trying to hide something........
Old 02-23-2001, 12:24 AM

I'd never get a sunburst ... I did have a cherry sunburst on my Ovation ... but I wouldn't want one on a Taylor. Though, on my last factory tour, there was a 614 with a sunburst finish on the BACK of the guitar ... it didn't look bad at all.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:27 AM

Hello,
I hope it has to be something the general public asked for because i'd hate to think its just a way to produce guitars using visually sub-standard wood; probably a bit of both though; high grade wood is getting rarer all the time and is sought after on its own, I can't see Taylor sunbursting the truly good stuff because of this. I can see there being a market in the lower-mid series but I couldn't understand someone wanting a PS or 900series....IMO

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 02-23-2001, 01:48 AM

Exclamation

In the last year I've seen quite a few just plain dull looking 600 series guitars. Seems like if you want to be sure of figured maple you have a better chance with a 3 piece back or ponying up the extra dough for presentation grade maple.

Even so, they still had enough plainer maple to make the 4xxMA series.
Old 02-23-2001, 11:17 AM

I still haven't seen one in person, but based on the pictures the only one I like is the cherry 'burst. I've never been fond of the brown-toned versions, but I like any of the cherry-toned. It's probably because you can usually still see the wood through the cherry. I'm a huge fan of good-figured wood, and love to see it on my guitars.
Old 02-26-2001, 06:45 PM

Hello All,

In 1969, I bought a cherry sunburst Gibson Humminbird for $300. Nice neck..Dead guitar.

I sold it in the mid 80's for what I paid for it. I was glad to get that price for it.

I'm not against a cherry sunburst guitar that sounds good....I just haven't hear one yet.

(Baskin Robbins icecream has 32 flavors...I'm just not ready for a guitar that has the same)

For what it's worth..

Take care all...

Rog
Old 02-26-2001, 11:04 PM

Well, this sunburst topic has caught everyone's fancy...

The best looking sunburst guitar I have seen was the Taylor Nanci Griffith model. I think that was a cherry sunburst. It's interesting how many of us see a sunburst flat top and automatically "think Gibson."

I prefer the standard spruce top. Don't stain it, paint it or whatever. - Bill J
Old 04-05-2001, 04:15 PM

Help, somebody save me! If you don't buy this guitar, I will, then my wife will kill me!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1421683494

Just ran across this on ebay*, and thought somebody should adopt it. A 2000 512, with sunburst?!? The label and rosette obviously show it to be a 2000 model (abalone rosette, snowflake fretboard, etc.) But I thought the sunbursts didn't come out until 2001? Maybe this was some prototype or special-order?

Anyway, if I had the cash, it would make a great companion for my imminent 714!

~ Paul, who normally doesn't care for sunburst

(* not affiliated with, acquianted with, never met, and has no idea of the character of the seller!)
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 04-05-2001, 08:04 PM

Oh, I saw it too and its a beauty. Sorry, can't help you though I like'em a little bigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification