The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM

Well, I try. I just looked at a post that I wrote on page 3 of this old thread, and so-called “Bhilwara rosewood” is actually black siris, which is “rosewood-like” without actually being a true rosewood. Back when this thread was current I did do a bit of research on it.

Bhilwara, India is the major city in the region where black siris is grown, hence Gibson’s snappy little marketing name for the wood.

whm
Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, I try. I just looked at a post that I wrote on page 3 of this old thread, and so-called “Bhilwara rosewood” is actually black siris, which is “rosewood-like” without actually being a true rosewood. Back when this thread was current I did do a bit of research on it.

Bhilwara, India is the major city in the region where black siris is grown, hence Gibson’s snappy little marketing name for the wood.

whm
Thanks, again WHM. Question - are you familiar with the Limited Edition Advanced Jumbo Vintage Mystic Rosewood? Here is a thread started a couple years back that I've been adding onto today. This particular model is similar to the J-45 Vintage (or True Vintate) where it has the torrefied red spruce top but instead of EIR, it has the 'mystic' rosewood. I'm looking for any additional info/experience on this model.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Just FYI, Larrivee is using this wood, they call it Bhilwara, on one of their NAMM 2019 models.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Purple and purple grey EIR are sometimes indicators of plantation grown trees.

The Bhilwara Rosewood sounds like a regional name and not a separate and distinct timbre.

There is also East Indian laurel which is a rosewood. I have 4 sets of it about 15 years old. Harder than EIR and some striping and coloration like Brazilian. I may use it one of these days.
Could this be the B wood or Gibson phantom rosewood?

I just looked at Gibson's web site.. looks like East Indian Laurel to me.

Here is an image of East Indian Laurel not from Gibson's site.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=29
Any chance you would sell a set?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 PM

Larrivee is producing a line of Bhilwara acoustics for 2020. You can hear John Larrivee describe the wood as a rosewood with a lot of mahogany tonal characteristics. He says it has strong mids, crispy highs and some warmth.
You can hear more at 3:38 of this you tube of Larrivee NAMM;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCoqKIshoYE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion