The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Larry,
Do you have a child or grand child that plays?
If yes, I’d let them select one to keep your memory alive.
Then sell the other two.
This way you divest yourself of guitars that should be being played.
And you leave a legacy that can be passed on.
You know, that's exactly why I'm keeping them. My youngest son (19) plays piano, but has musical talent and may likely take up guitar some day. Also have 2 married grown kids, and 2 grandkids. And this is exactly why I've been holding on to them.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
I'm 70 years old. I have 3 beautiful playing and sounding Bourgeois (OMC, OO, O) that I bought custom ordered between 2010 and 2014. Around 2015, I bought a Buscarino Cabaret (nylon crossover). Since that time, I've barely touched my steel strings. Seriously. I used to change strings on each of the once a month. In the past 5 years, I've played them so little that I haven't changed the strings 5 times in 5 years. They just sit in their cases in my humidified music room at home. Every once in a while, I take them out and play them and marvel at how great they are and swear I will never sell them. Then I pick up my Buscarino Cabaret crossover and have absolutely no desire to play my other guitars. I live everything about my Cabaret better. The feel, the neck, the nut width, the number of frets to the body, the sound. Fit my style of music and playing better. I play better on it. But for some reason, I can't seem to let go of my Bourgeois babies. I'm not desperate for money, but, then again, it seems a waste to just have them sitting in their cases. I know this is a time worn question on here, but, do I keep them or sell them? Please, no abusive responses. Serious question.
Larry, I'd certainly NOT expect any abuse to your question.
I'm knocking on 72 and not in the best of health and so considering the future of my instruments as well.

You don't say anything about playing out so there isn't the need for one or more of these instruments.

The other aspect is that we baby boomers are probably all considering such matters.

Looking at it financially - will they appreciate whilst in cases ?
What would you do with the money ... would it appreciate any more?

Depressed by the state of my hands I put my oldest Collings on consignment in Feb/March last year - it was put up at a little more than I'd paid for in 1998 and id did have some repaired damage.

It sold for the asking price in a week! (I was very disappointing!)
I still have three other dreads for use on my decreasing number of gigs.

I have prepared a file of photos and information on all my gear, to give to my daughter-in-law who knows all about on-line selling - in the case of my demise or disability to ensure my wife gets the best of their value.

Your Bourgeois guitars are small guitars which seem increasingly popular presently as us older folk with shoulder and posture issues move towards smaller instruments.

I offer points for and against selling - The decision is yours only.
Please let us know what you decide.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You know, that's exactly why I'm keeping them. My youngest son (19) plays piano, but has musical talent and may likely take up guitar some day. Also have 2 married grown kids, and 2 grandkids. And this is exactly why I've been holding on to them.
You could have mentioned that to start with

So how sentimental do you feel about them? Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy the idea of these specific guitars being played by your kids after you're gone or does the idea make you shrug? It's not like they are going to be looking at them thinking "I remember dad/grandpa playing these" because you don't.

I can see you crossover becoming a family heirloom, but do you feel that way about your others? If yes, then great, keep them and guitars all-round one day. If not you could sell them and buy the kids something else that'll last them a lifetime (a piano maybe?!).

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

You don't say anything about playing out so there isn't the need for one or more of these instruments.

What would you do with the money ... would it appreciate any more?

You are correct, not playing out. Though with retirement looming, the possibility of getting together and jamming is on my mind. I do have a nice Henriksen The Bud amp.

Good question about the money. Would it appreciate anymore? Probably not, unless I tried to invest it. And then I could also lose it. Will the guitars be worth a lot more in 10 or 20 years when my kids get them? Don't know. With so many boutique guitars out there these days, just not sure that the investment value is the decisive factor.

Buscarino Cabaret
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post

I can see you crossover becoming a family heirloom, but do you feel that way about your others? If not you could sell them and buy the kids something else that'll last them a lifetime (a piano maybe?!).
Me, too.

Have a nice piano that one of my kids will get.

Maybe I'll just wait a little longer. There's no rush. And I know I'll never get close to what I paid for them. That's the killer. If I knew that I could, I'd be very inclined to sell. But if I recoup only 50% to 60% of what I paid, that's tough to accept.

Buscarino Cabaret
Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 AM

Yeah I know what you mean about the cost. It is a kick in the teeth. I tend to shoot for more like 75% of what I paid, and if it sits on eBay for 6 - 12 months to get it, or never sells then so be it - it's only about $0.50 a month to have it on there.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Me, too.

Have a nice piano that one of my kids will get.

Maybe I'll just wait a little longer. There's no rush. And I know I'll never get close to what I paid for them. That's the killer. If I knew that I could, I'd be very inclined to sell. But if I recoup only 50% to 60% of what I paid, that's tough to accept.
I'm in the keep one of them camp. But I might wait a while to sell and see how the Bousois/Eastman thing goes. Your guitars may go up in value....
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this is a significant addition to your OP.

I'm not hearing any strong reason to sell the guitars. For example, you don't seem to need the space. You also feel that the guitars won't recoup more than 50% - 60% of their value.

On the other hand, what could feel much better than giving these guitars to your descendents someday?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM

Default same boat..

Hi! I'm in a similar circumstance with all of my Timbre family. I have used an "A/B"- ing strategy to determine which (one) guitar I could give up with the least amount of grief.
I will then put that one out there at a price that I think is fair for it.
Then ONLY if a close offer comes in will I (then) decide to part with it.
I also consider who the buyer is, and that is a factor as well. I don't like selling to people who will not care for, use, and appreciate the instrument!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
If it were me I'd sell 2 and keep one. That way if steel itch ever reappeared I would be prepared and not get GAS.
This is exactly my thought as well. Keep your favorite and re-home the other two.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Sell 'em and buy your kids some Apple shares. They'll be worth a lot more than those guitars in 20 years time. I'm not being facetious.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
If it were me I'd sell 2 and keep one. That way if steel itch ever reappeared I would be prepared and not get GAS.
I agree, keep your favorite and sell the other two.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Sell 'em and buy your kids some Apple shares. They'll be worth a lot more than those guitars in 20 years time. I'm not being facetious.
A genius idea...20 years ago!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Default You have lots of company

The responses you've gotten so far suggest your dilemma is not unusual. I find myself in a similar situation. Selling a few of your treasures sounds simple, but it's not. From recent personal experience I can attest to the difficulty of finding a buyer who understands and accepts the value you place on your instruments. Low ball offers will abound and this will cause you to question your emotional and financial investment you have in the guitars you've acquired - and loved. If you have heirs who would appreciate what they are receiving, that is a marvelous solution. If not, you won't know where the guitars end up anyway, but you won't carry this concern to the grave. If you don't need the money, make peace with having a nice collection that gets neglected more than it gets used. (Here I realize I'm talking to myself as much as I am to the OP.)
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;
Old 01-20-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'm 70 years old.
larryb predicates his dilemma by stating his age, which leads us to speculate that the latent preference for for the crossover guitar is age-related. If this is a correct assumption, then by all means sell the steel-string guitars. A year from now, the OP will be a year older, and probably all the less inclined to play his Bourgeois guitars than he is now.

If, however, the preference for a crossover guitar is unrelated to age, it makes more sense to sell two of the Bourgeois instruments and keep one, considering the possibility that another swing in guitar preference could happen. It would also make sense, in this instance, to keep the Bourgeois closest in size and temperament to the Buscarino Cabaret. (This would be the 00?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion