The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Question about Amazing Slow Downer

.... or similar program. This is probably a convoluted way to do things, but.... Is it possible to record something I find on You Tube or elsewhere with a stand alone recorder, then play back and save the file on my computer, then use one of the slow down programs? I often find songs or pieces of songs that I'd like to learn but for various reasons I can't upload the song directly. If someone knows a better way, I'm all ears (no pun intended!)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 AM

You don't need the stand-alone recorder, just record the audio in a DAW.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Question about Amazing Slow Downer

Use keepvid.com to record YouTube video as mpg4. Slodowner will play audio of that file. You can slow down the whole thing or a section of it and or record the output to a seperate wav file.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Perfect, thanks!!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 PM

Smile

A friend of mine is using Song Surgeon, he uses this to Download music from youtube and or any site then saves the song and also has slow down features on which he is using for his guitar lessons.

Hope this reply helps...
Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 AM

You can download videos or just the audio easily with browser addons like DownloadHelper, DownThemAll!, YouTube Video and Audio Downloader, UnPlug, and many others.

After that, just use free VLC and you can slow down to 25% with no problem. If you need slower than that, the video will play but not audio, so you would need something else. But 25% of normal speed is probably slow enough for most people.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I use 'YTD Video Downloader' (free) to capture and download the Youtube video. It will also convert the file to several other file formats, if you want. I use 'Transcribe' from Seventh String software instead of Slowdowner (free 30 day trial/purchase $39). It plays video and audio, slows down, and much more. The note and chord guesses has never worked very well for me, but I really love the loop feature - it allows you to loop a single chord or note until you figure out the fingering, or allows you to loop a progression on slow speed to allow you to practice along to the audio/video.

Steve
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Forgot to mention free VLC also has loop function that works great.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
.... or similar program. This is probably a convoluted way to do things, but.... Is it possible to record something I find on You Tube or elsewhere with a stand alone recorder, then play back and save the file on my computer, then use one of the slow down programs? I often find songs or pieces of songs that I'd like to learn but for various reasons I can't upload the song directly. If someone knows a better way, I'm all ears (no pun intended!)

Go to youtube and find a song or whatever it is you want to convert.
Copy the URL
Go to
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
Paste the URL into the input field...in seconds you will be provided with a download link, save it.
You can now import the MP3 into any software including The Amazing Slowdowner which incidentally is what I use
Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggie999 View Post
Use keepvid.com to record YouTube video as mpg4. Slodowner will play audio of that file. You can slow down the whole thing or a section of it and or record the output to a seperate wav file.
Great app. Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something that would do this.

Regarding slowing down the audio, I was using "Transcribe", which works really well, but didn't want to shell out the bucks after the trial. I used Audacity instead, but the end result isn't nearly as good.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-18-2014, 06:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some great ideas here, thanks again everyone!
Gene

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD