The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2001, 06:34 PM

Question Langejans Guitars

Has anyone ever played a Langejans guitar? (by Del Langejans)

I'm intrigued by his use of a zero fret......anyone ever played anything with a zero fret? More specifically, what the heck is a zero fret?

go to guitargal.com and check out the funky thing he is building for Muriel Anderson

....also using an Australian wood that looks sort of like Koa on one of the guitars at that site...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-29-2001, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the site--I checked it out and am not sure what to say about the harp-guitar. Very unusual. Actually kind of looks scary to me...can't imagine how one would play it.

1997 814C
2002 Big Baby
Old 03-29-2001, 05:13 PM
Jim

A zero fret is a fretboard where the strings rest directly on a fretwire that is installed where the nut is located on most guitars. To keep the strings properly spaced, there is a nut that is installed about a quarter of an inch away and just slightly lower than the zero fret on the headstock side. The argument for this arrangement is in theory that when you hit an open string, it will sound the same as a fretted string since the open string is resting on a metal fret and not a plastic or bone nut. It would be like always playing with a capo. The argument against this is that it's an unnecessary complication to guitar building as evidenced by the fact that almost no guitars are made this way and they all sound and play just fine. It also introduces a need for another adjustment in the set-up to avoid buzzing that can come when the angle of the string coming across it from the low level nut isn't just right.

If I had that kind of cash, though, I would would much rather have one of those nice used Olsons they have at Guitar Gallery.

[ 03-29-2001: Message edited by: Jim ]
Old 03-29-2001, 06:53 PM

Smile

Jim,

thanks....

lower action at first fret, too, I assume after your description.....

.....does seem odd....

presumably Langejans didn't dream this up on his own......where did the idea originate......any idea?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-30-2001, 12:10 AM
Jim

It's the old European way of building them.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:09 AM
Jim

I found an image of a zero fret guitar. Go to:
http://www.nb.net/~alanb/tip77.html
Old 03-30-2001, 10:11 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Janice:
Thanks for the site--I checked it out and am not sure what to say about the harp-guitar. Very unusual. Actually kind of looks scary to me...can't imagine how one would play it.
Janice....

Muriel Anderson's hands are so big she can play both at once....

Baseball Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench is supposed to have big hands...he can hold 8 baseballs in just one hand...

Muriel Anderson's hands are so big she can hold 47 baseballs in her left hand...it's just amazing.... ...no wonder she's so good.......

If you've been following a different post you would know it was a joke.....
Old 03-30-2001, 10:22 AM

Hey, I'm a NEW friend--remember?!? I don't even know who Muriel Anderson is...can you enlighten me?

1997 814C
2002 Big Baby
Old 03-30-2001, 10:59 AM

Smile

She's one of the best fingerstyle guitar players in the world...go to the necks, women, challenge...post....
Old 04-13-2001, 01:59 PM

The zero fret is fairly common on higher end electric basses. My MTD Grendel has one.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification