The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-11-2001, 01:14 AM

Thumbs down All 2001 900,Koa,Walnut cutaways have Fishman

I just got my copy of the little 2001/2001 catalog tonight and noticed something that I haven't picked up yet from this great forum. And that is, from what I can figure out ,that all of the new 2001 900, Koa and Walnut models that come with a cutaway will come standard with Fishman drilled into the side of the guitar. Yuk! That was one of the extra nice things that I liked about these three models was that their cut aways were Fishmanless. Yes now these three models will be in synch with the rest of the Taylor models in featuring the side mounted Fishman product. But I didn't like that either. For me to ever buy one of them in the future I would have to special order it without the side mounted plastic control but I'm not trusting enough of Taylor to make every guitar the same. I agree that Taylor's consistancy is great but still as we all know when you compare some side to side some are clearly better. Which would be my reason for not just ordering a guitar sound/touch unseen. Maybe I will have to look for a pre-2001 model Koa or Walnut. I don't mean to put the fishman products down. And I know that having Taylor install the pickups in the cutaway/electronic package saves the buyer money IF they want the whole package.
Has anybody else noticed this. If I'm wrong in my interpretation please somebody let me know. thanks.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:03 AM

Well, I just got a beautiful 2001 K14c with a koa top and no electronics ... and it's absolutely wonderful ... if anything, it's better than the standard. I do have a slight problem with it, but I think after my appointment tomorrow with Tim at Taylor (well, I suspect I'll be leaving the guitar there a couple days), it will be fixed (probably just a truss rod adjustment).

So far, I haven't been disappointed with any of the custom orders I've gotten.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:50 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Admiral! Welcome to the forum. Fortunately, though the Fishman comes standard, you can custom order it without the Fishman and get full credit on the electronics package - i.e. you'll pay a good bit less for the guitar. You can also order it without cutaway if you wish. Hope this helps.

J.R.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:42 AM

We just picked up a couple of all koas, too, one with cutaway, one without, both with NO extra holes. They sound fantastic! I had played one of the RSSM's and it didn't sound as good as my new K14. The wood on them isn't that dramatic, kinda blah, but the sound is worth it. They look nearly like twins.
Be sure to go to a dealer that will order one, and if you don't wish to purchase it, not have any hard feelings. These guitars sell well enough that if the first one doesn't suit you, they could easily sell it and order you another one.
We haven't been disappointed with any special orders, either.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:37 PM

My 2001 K14C/Engleman(see pics page) bought in March didn't have electrics. Yes, it is a 2001. I'm thinking now it might have been a custom order someone passed on. It was a killer price, and not knowing as much as you all... that's probably why. Well, that and I said Trombone sent me! Anyway, I know this is probably a post for amplification but a tech in MPLS I talked to, said Highlander pickups were the way to go. Any thoughts? Hey, my local dealer said if I ordered a K14C, there was no getting out, pay in full, and I would have to take it with me. Way to believe in the product/customer you're selling huh? Woulda been my 3rd Taylor from them. Welcome back J.R.!
Old 04-13-2001, 11:28 PM

I am getting a 914ce. While some traditionalists don`t like the hole , I still want a great guitar that also provides me with my electronic needs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification