The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2001, 05:40 PM

Question Thoughts on new "NT" neck

Has anyone experienced any problems with Taylor's new "NT" neck design?

Having been in the manufacturing field for a couple of years, I know it often takes a while to get the kinks out of a new product design.

I sent off for the Taylor video on the new NT neck and was very impressed with it's radial new construction.

I have a sweet-sounding 3 year old 814-C with the "classic" neck and was wondering if I should sell it and purchase a new 814-C with the new NT neck. The neck on my present guitar is fine but I'm thinking that, down the road, if I would need to have it adjusted, the new NT neck would make the procedure a whole lot easier.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this matter.

God bless,
Louisiana
Old 03-02-2001, 07:41 PM

Red face

Stay tuned. I just packed up my 25th Anniv. 814bce today for a trip back to the factory. I rarely played the guitar because I also have a K14c that is the cats.

Needless to say, I planned to spend an evening playing my Brazilian and found that the string alignment was not right. This was apparent because instead of fingerstyle, I opted for flatpicking and strumming with some projection.(Note: my playing room and its case are maintained at 47% humidity - not a factor.)

A truss rod adjustment attempt revealed that even with the truss rod nut pressure backed completely off, the gap at the 6th fret is still to tight (.007" instead of at least .010"). At the same time, the distance between the 6th string and fret crown at the 12th is too great when unfretted.

I compared it with my K14c and discovered that the saddles are quite different in height. This could be the problem as I was reading in an earlier post about QC issues at the factory. I'll keep you posted about the repair.

BTW, I know many of you are thinking, "how could he purchase a guitar that is out of alignment?" First, I always played it soft until last night and playing soft did not reveal the defect (I figure that's how it got out of the factory). Second, somehow, someone built this 814bce with AA-AAA grade Brazilian rosewood. I don't know how this happened, but I don't question miracles.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:53 PM

Smile

I have been playing several 814s including an 814bce. At least four of the 2000 models I have played seem fine when fingerpicked, but when played with a pick the buzz on the 6th string. Possibly the nut cut is too deep? I would also be interested in the results of the factory repair as I have one of these guitars in layaway and may be exploring the same situation.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:09 PM

To: Louisiana and dgugenheim

Hi There!

First a reply to Louisiana --

I had a 1999 810 Sitka/Indian with the classic neck that I traded in on a new 2000 Legends of the Fall 810B with the new neck I really can't tell a difference. I think the new neck idea is super, but for myself, I must remember all other guitar necks are similar to the classic. The NT necks are a good idea. I think I need to keep this in perspective for myself.

------

Now a question for Dgugenheim --

I'm very curious about, and would like to please ask if there is a way you found out that your 814bce is not the Taylor Grade B it should be? I would be happy for you if this was true, but...

the difference between these higher grades is only cosmetic. If I may humbly offer, and with all due respect, I believe that what you have is an 814bce with a very, very nice looking Grade B Brazilian. This can certainly happen. I know because I have one too. It looks great. Matched bookend two-piece back and matched sides. The patterns are almost exact and the color is a nice bronze/brown. This 810B has some very nice wood. But as nice as it is...it's still Grade B, which is still rare and expensive.

My long-time understanding of Brazilian wood grades at this high level is that the differentiation is primarily cosmetic. What does that mean exactly? It means that someone, somewhere with the authority and skill, has made the judgement do to some cosmetic issue with the wood, not the quality at this level. The wodd that does not get used for back and sides will have physical mars, knot holes, crotches, and many worm holes. They use that for appointments. Some Taylor grade B Brazilain does not look as nice as ours, but it is not any less in tone producing quality.

A Presentation Series Brazilian will have Taylors best Grade of Brazilian and Master Grade Englemann top.

There is where you will visually see a difference (slurp, slurp). For example, the Master Grade Englemann top on a PS series is such high quality you can barely count the "rings per inch". On my 810B Englemann I can count the rings as the one moves nearer to the sides, and this is common on very good tops. The Englemann on our 8xx Brazilian series is very good wood, and will open up dramatically as the years go by if we keep playing the instrument. That is what we pay for.

Bye for now,
-grm

[ 03-05-2001: Message edited by: gmccall ]
Old 03-28-2001, 04:59 AM

Thumbs up

Louisana,
I have a 714CE bought in Oct. with an NT neck. I have never played on anything nicer. It's straighter than anything I've ever seen. The action is like butter and closer than close. The satin neck is fast, fast, fast. It's easy to adjust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification