The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2001, 07:18 PM

Wink

Howdy Warblade~

Hey bro! I didn't know you were the forum moderator of JOCCT!! Yeah, i used to visit that site frequently until y'all changed servers. I used to download the archive ZIP files you guys had of tabs and crds.

Well, looks like i'm gonna visit your site and see what's new! hehe

Wow... truly, we are living in a small world! Of course, Taylor Guitars makes it even more smaller LOL

------------------
Blessings
nick
Old 02-20-2001, 07:21 PM

Wink

oops... JOCGT... gosh... i am off today! hehe
By the way bro, the site looks AWESOME!!! Glad to have it back online

I'm sure the kids at church will appreciate it too~

------------------
Blessings
nick
Old 03-03-2001, 02:22 AM
Daniel G

I just discovered your website, and I feel I am swimming in foreign waters here, since my main guitar for the last 11 years has been a Martin HD-28.

Okay, you can all stop groaning now, because, guess what, I just bought a Taylor 514 CE!

What prompts me to write this is the remark on this thread from a member who said he kept coming back again and again in his head to the sound of the 514 CE. That's what happened to me when I set out to look for THE fingerstyle guitar to complement my Martin HD-28 for flatpicking (okay, guys, I'm gonna start a war here by saying flatly that for country blues flat-picking no Taylor dreadnought comes close...but I digress...)

I knew there was a fingerstyle guitar out there that was better than my HD-28 for fingerstyle, so I started down the yellow brick road. The big names kept popping up (apart from Martin): Larrivee, Goodall, Santa Cruz, Lowden, Collings (especially Collings), and a newcomer, Huss and Dalton, then...Taylor.

In guitar forums and talking to working musicians, people seemed to either love or hate them. One professional acoustic player dismissed them with a snort,"Yeah, Taylor, the acoustic guitar for electric guitar players who can't play." Ouch. Since I respected this musician's formidable technique, I started on my journey of discovery not seriously considering a Taylor. So much for prejudice.

Anyway, I played all of the above brands, concentrating on the OM/Grand Auditorium size. I found the Santa Cruz's had a generally mellow quality, with a characteristic sonic signature much like the Martin; the Goodalls and the Collings's were quite similar, more harmonically complex, with a more textured sound than the above two; the Huss and Dalton was quite distinctive, but one-dimensional sounding; the Larrivees I found generally cold and unresponsive.

Some nice guitars, but nothing there to tempt me to steal my son's college savings to buy that guitar I was looking for.

On a whim, in a guitar shop in San Francisco, after rejecting yet another promising candidate (Martin's Eric Clapton Signature), I said, "Oh well, might as well try this Taylor...it does look kinda pretty...no, quite beautiful..."

Two measures into "Creole Belle"...and that was it for me. This guitar was totally different than anything else I had tried (including, later, a lot of other Taylor models). It's not only the sound which is thickly textured but at the same time clear and lyrical, with a sensual quality all its own, but the incredible responsiveness of the instrument. No other guitar has ever felt so ALIVE on my lap!

So...you know the rest of the story. I bought it, play it morning and night, and when my wife is not looking, I hug and kiss it and murmur sweet nothings to its sensuous neck.......am I becoming a little weird, or is this normal behavior for all new Taylor owners?

Ciao, I must leave you now...she's waiting...I've been away too long.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel G:
bought it, play it morning and night, and when my wife is not looking, I hug and kiss it and murmur sweet nothings to its sensuous neck.......am I becoming a little weird, or is this normal behavior for all new Taylor owners?

As the owner of a harem of these beauties, I think the behavior is quite normal. I also caress the "curves", oohing and aahing, telling them how sexy and beautiful they are. I hug them. I open up the case, catch my breath, and ask, "how's my sweetie today?"
When looking at the cases to pick one out, I say to them, "Hi honeys!"
Filling up the humidifiers, I look at the cases and say lovingly, "there you go!"
It doesn't matter which one it is, I love them all!
I have one of the 314mce's (in keeping with the topic), and think it is one of the best bargains out there for a solid wood guitar. The Jewel is next in bang-for-buck. I am still amazed when I hear one. Very distinct notes though, so not as good for strumming. I have recently been sorely tempted by a 310kce. There's something about those koas and this 300k series is something to snatch up while you can.
But where would I put it??!
Old 03-06-2001, 06:08 PM

Wink

Hiya Lady Trombone!

Where would you put that new 300K guitar?? Easy

In your bedroom hehehehehe

Whenever my 310 is not at church, she's always next to my bedside
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 03-07-2001, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel G:
So...you know the rest of the story. I bought it, play it morning and night, and when my wife is not looking, I hug and kiss it and murmur sweet nothings to its sensuous neck.......am I becoming a little weird, or is this normal behavior for all new Taylor owners?

Ciao, I must leave you now...she's waiting...I've been away too long.
Yes, it is normal behavior!
The rest of us just don't admit it.

Have fun with that 514, they are beautiful, aren't they?
Old 03-07-2001, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTaylor310:

Where would you put that new 300K guitar?? Easy

In your bedroom hehehehehe

There's already 46 guitars in there! Help! I need a bigger house! (or is that wharehouse?)
Old 03-07-2001, 11:42 AM
Jim

I'd be happy to give you some help in warehousing your lovelies, Trombone. Just pack up 20 or 30 of your nicest guitars and send them to me and I'll take good care of them!
Old 03-16-2001, 12:03 AM

IMHO, the 300 series is one of the best bargains in solid wood guitars available. No matter how many fancy versions I buy, I still love to strum my first very first Taylor 310CE.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:34 PM

Cool

Hello!

Wow... the 300 Series continues to be a favourite series amongst my church friends. Just last week, yet another church student told me that they bought a brand-new 314ce! His parents got it for him as a birthday present. Gee... wish my parents did that LOL

Two 310s and two 314ces... The future looks good for this Taylor Church!

We still have many kids learning the geetar at church and they are becoming Taylor fanatics as well. I really think that Taylor should pay me some small commission or give me a new geetar altogether! LOL

The girl who owns the 314ce is becoming me... she's building up knowledge of Taylors and is doing her part to "spread the word" of Taylors.

Scary how a guitar could be so addicting!
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 04-04-2001, 11:17 AM
pharvey

Hello - I'm new here, and also a new Taylor owner and this is my first post. I recently upgraded to a good solid wood acoustic guitar as we have been starting to do the praise & worship thing at church. To make a long story short - I ended up settling on the Taylor Grand Auditorium style as I needed a guitar that would sound good playing the chords at church, but would also be a good fingerstyle guitar at home as that is my preferred style. I don't have unlimited funds (or space) so this one guitar will fill a variety of roles.

The thing is, I wasn't sure I would be able to get the Taylor I wanted within my budget. I recently sold my Gibson ES-175 Jazz box on ebay, and I wanted to use that money for the new acoustic. I decided I definitely wanted a spruce top, the Fishman blender, and the cutaway. Unfortunately the only Taylors that had all of these features were out of my price range. When I went to my local dealer to try out guitars, they showed me a 314CE they had special ordered with the blender system installed as an upgrade as that is so popular. That was all I needed to hear and after trying out the guitar I bought it.

The sound is very even and pleasing when strummed - not too trebly, not too boomy. I can't really evaluate it as a fingerpicker yet as I have to wait until my nails grow back (I fingerpick in the classical style), but I have no doubt if will sound like ringing bells.

Also, as I play classical guitar - I do appreciate (and prefer) the wider fretboard on these guitars as opposed to the dreadnoughts. In fact, the fretboard on my guitar is probably my favorite feature - very playable and comfortable.
Old 04-04-2001, 01:09 PM

Paul,

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you like your 314. I'm also a huge fan of those Taylor necks-so easy to play, they make me sound better than I am.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:38 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard, Paul!

I'm sure you will get oodles of enjoyment from your new Taylor.

I don't play well, but the tone quality of the notes is incredible!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification