The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 07:50 PM

I've bought guitars all sorts of ways. I bought my used Martin Custom Shop D-D-18 from a local guitar guy on Craigslist, then ordered a 00-21 to go with it from the Martin Custom Shop myself. The D-18 has an Ambertone finished top, and you could wait forever for a used 00-21 to show up that also has one. Since I also wanted the 00-21 to be a little "mini-me" for the D-18, and - much more importantly - I know enough about guitars to match up the 12 fret Double O body size with good tonewoods, I was able to get a good player's guitar from that custom order.

The more you know, the luckier you get. The Martin 12 fret Double O body design is one of their secret weapons, and I knew that that gave me a good start right there.

So I'll get get custom guitars made when it makes sense to do so. I just do my research first.

Hope that makes sense.

whm
Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to see those Ambertone sisters.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:14 PM

I've become a broken-record advocate for Yamaha's LL- and LS-56s. Built start-to-finish by individual master luthiers in a Yamaha custom shop in Japan with the best Englemann spruce and EIR they have. Awesome in all respects! Street price $3,700 - $3,800.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Where is the sweet spot between these?
Hi MikeInBethesda…

Which sweet spot in-between are you aiming for? Price? Quality? Unique Characteristics or options?

If you are merely discussing price ranges, then look for good deals on used instruments.

There are serious, dedicated players who will only buy pre-war vintage (decades old) manufactured Gibson, Martin, Guild. Some even want Silvertone, or Kay etc.

Just OLD…

And these vintage-centric folk often sink more money into an old instrument than others spend on a Somogyi, or Traugoot, Wingert or…mm…er…uh…

And another camp in the mix are the followers of small factories who think the Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom, Collings, etc. are under-represented.

So which middle are you asking about, and what is the sweet spot you are aiming at? What is the middle?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2021, 05:52 PM

I believe Gallagher Guitars fall into that range or just a hair higher. Maybe $4100 for a Doc Watson? I’m not at all sure what the G-50 and the G-70 and the others are selling for nowadays.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Also a Boucher might fit the bill especially if you purchase it in Canada. The exchange rate is well in our favor. And they're more prevalent in Canada since they're built in Quebec.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion