The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor GC short scale custom

I have an offer to trade one of my Suhr electrics on another forum. It’s a 2015 Taylor GC short scale in mint condition. Western red cedar top, Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. Gold tuners, which I would probably change to Gotoh 510 antique gold. Trade value of $3,000. Just wondering if this in on par for a good deal? I have a Martin CEO 7 which I love! And I have a Taylor 310CE fall limited. Of course I won’t be able to play this guitar, but I was able to see video on it and lots of pics. Looks and sounds incredible! Do I need another acoustic!?
What stock Taylor would this compare to?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansenku View Post
I have an offer to trade one of my Suhr electrics on another forum. It’s a 2015 Taylor GC short scale in mint condition. Western red cedar top, Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. Gold tuners, which I would probably change to Gotoh 510 antique gold. Trade value of $3,000. Just wondering if this in on par for a good deal? I have a Martin CEO 7 which I love! And I have a Taylor 310CE fall limited. Of course I won’t be able to play this guitar, but I was able to see video on it and lots of pics. Looks and sounds incredible! Do I need another acoustic!?
What stock Taylor would this compare to?
How short is the scale? The current 322 has short scale (24 and 7/8).
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 04-19-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
How short is the scale? The current 322 has short scale (24 and 7/8).
The scale is 24 7/8
Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I have an offer to trade one of my Suhr electrics on another forum. It’s a 2015 Taylor GC short scale in mint condition. Western red cedar top, Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. Gold tuners, which I would probably change to Gotoh 510 antique gold. Trade value of $3,000. Just wondering if this in on par for a good deal?
I would argue no, my 322 Taylor is short scale, has Blackwood b/s, I changed out the 2016 era tuners as they weren't very good and used the 322 on Reverb is ~$1800

The 322 has a mahogany top, so perhaps it won't have the resonance of a cedar top, but I wouldn't gamble on trying it out in hopes of reselling without a loss.

My 2¢
Old 04-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
I would argue no, my 322 Taylor is short scale, has Blackwood b/s, I changed out the 2016 era tuners as they weren't very good and used the 322 on Reverb is ~$1800

The 322 has a mahogany top, so perhaps it won't have the resonance of a cedar top, but I wouldn't gamble on trying it out in hopes of reselling without a loss.

My 2¢
There’s quite a few add ons aesthetically. I saw the spec sheet. Looks like it was a roadshow guitar back in 2015. Cocobola binding, Cindy peg head, shaded edge burst, Sitka cv braving with relief route, slim carve neck to name a few. Spec sheet listed $5446 price.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:06 AM

It sounds generally similar to the Taylor 512, which has a cedar top and mahogany back and sides.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjbny View Post
It sounds generally similar to the Taylor 512, which has a cedar top and mahogany back and sides.
Yes, it is fairly close to that one. Is there a difference in western red cedar vs cedar? Or are they the same?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

That's what would distinguish it from a 322 or 510. $3K sounds reasonable to me, especially for mint condition. There is a used (exc cond) Custom GC Redwood/Mahogany on reverb listed for just under $4K.

Quote:
There’s quite a few add ons aesthetically. I saw the spec sheet. Looks like it was a roadshow guitar back in 2015. Cocobola binding, Cindy peg head, shaded edge burst, Sitka cv braving with relief route, slim carve neck to name a few. Spec sheet listed $5446 price.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 AM

I believe that the cedar used on the 512 is western red cedar
Old 04-19-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I don't know what the current upcharge is for TBW, but $3000 seems high. I had an All mahogany GC 12-fret short scale BTO made 9 years back with Ebony bindings, rosette and headstock overlay and paid $2450 for it. Right now, Id guess it's worth $1800-1900 on the open market.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I don't know what the current upcharge is for TBW, but $3000 seems high. I had an All mahogany GC 12-fret short scale BTO made 9 years back with Ebony bindings, rosette and headstock overlay and paid $2450 for it. Right now, Id guess it's worth $1800-1900 on the open market.
Up charge for TBW is $250 on the spec sheet.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I think $3k is high then.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I think $3k is high then.
I have to agree here.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 04-19-2021, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
sounds like an eye candy Taylor, and blackwood seems to go well with any top wood, especially cedar, and especially for a fingerstyle type instrument.
if you've fallen out of love with that Suhr, i'd take the jump and grab the one off Taylor. Coco binding would look quite nice with an edge burst going on.
you already own a taylor so you have an idea of tone and such-although this one will be quite different than the 310(and the CEO for that matter).
you are definitely not going to get anywhere near duplicating what you have, so you'll have a definite 3rd guitar with different tonal characteristics.

i love the slim carve necks on taylors, and if it has the cindy inlay on the headstock that should mean its a solid headstock and not slotted(yea!!).

how about a picture here for us to see????

i say jump on it, never look back,
d
Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
sounds like an eye candy Taylor, and blackwood seems to go well with any top wood, especially cedar, and especially for a fingerstyle type instrument.
if you've fallen out of love with that Suhr, i'd take the jump and grab the one off Taylor. Coco binding would look quite nice with an edge burst going on.
you already own a taylor so you have an idea of tone and such-although this one will be quite different than the 310(and the CEO for that matter).
you are definitely not going to get anywhere near duplicating what you have, so you'll have a definite 3rd guitar with different tonal characteristics.

i love the slim carve necks on taylors, and if it has the cindy inlay on the headstock that should mean its a solid headstock and not slotted(yea!!).

how about a picture here for us to see????

i say jump on it, never look back,
d
Thank you! I’m kind of new on here, how do you post pics?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion