The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Does a guitar's history contribute to price?

I understand that in many instances, such as a guitar owned by Elvis, or someone who is very famous, yes it would, but how about someone less well known?

I have the option to buy a guitar that I like locally. The guitar was owned and played on stage by a semi-famous or perhaps famous musician? It's not signed and it's not an artist model. But it's a great guitar and I would be interested in it based on simply what it is. But, they are asking a bit more because it was owned by a well known musician.

Would the background of the guitar mean anything to you in such a sale? Would you be willing to pay a bit more for it given it's history? Or, would you simply pay what other comparable guitars are going for?

Since the question will be raised, the artist is Doyle Dykes, and he does come around this way occasionally, so I could probably get an autograph and picture with him and the guitar if that makes a difference. But, let's not focus on who it is or his playing, but only on whether the guitar is worth more due to that history? And they are not asking a ton more for it.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-17-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I understand that in many instances, such as a guitar owned by Elvis, or someone who is very famous, yes it would, but how about someone less well known?

I have the option to buy a guitar that I like locally. The guitar was owned and played on stage by a semi-famous musician. Some might say he is famous? It's not signed and it's not an artist model. But it's a great guitar and I would be interested in it based on simply what it is. But, they are asking a bit more because it was owned by a well known musician.

Would the background of the guitar mean anything to you in such a sale? Would you be willing to pay a bit more for it given it's history? Or, would you simply pay what other comparable guitars are going for?

Since the question will be raised, the artist is Doyle Dykes, and he does come around this way occasionally, so I could probably get an autograph and picture with him and the guitar if that makes a difference. But, let's not focus on who it is or his playing, but only on whether the guitar is worth more due to that history? And they are not asking a ton more for it.
It's up to you how much will you be willing to pay for it
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 04-17-2021, 06:50 PM

Doyle Dykes is a bit more than semi-famous.

In answer to your question, no I would not be willing to pay more because a celeb played it.

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 04-17-2021, 07:05 PM

I wouldn’t pay more either.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Gotta admit... I wouldn't do that either.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:24 PM

Generally speaking, no value is added here.

If the guitar was owned by a major celebrity (Elvis, Clapton, or even a non-guitarist like JFK) there's some value to that. But anyone else, no.

Same thing with classic cars, which is my area of expertise. If it was owned by someone important, especially important to that particular car, there's some value. But if it's just a Chevy owned by minor celeb "X," there's generally no value impact.

Most valuable would be if the guitar could be proved to be the one that was used in a particular situation. If you had proof that this is the guitar that Clapton used to compose Layla, that would be especially valuable.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:36 PM
Runaway Tomato

If I was a collector, I think I would be willing to pay a little extra for an instrument previously owned by someone famous, especially if it was signed by the artist. But not me - I have three guitars, all very nice, but all with a practical purpose - meaning I'm not a collector.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-17-2021, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I think the guitar might sell for slightly more than the average price and be easier to sell if the ownership can be proven and it has been used for recordings. Someone who loves the sound of certain tracks or albums or YouTube videos will enjoy owning the guitar used and could pay a premium to own it.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-17-2021, 08:31 PM

I might have the theory that the artist might have picked a better example than the average model, or if a custom jobbie, it had been built with an eye (ear?) towards that players style. Either way, it might be worth paying a little bit more for.

But make no mistake, you are paying for what the guitar is, not who owned it the way that Trigger or First Wife would be.

(Full disclosure, I own a Beneteau Baritone built for fingerstylist Don Ross, and used as his touring Baritone guitar for many years. And it shows. But as much as I respect Mr. Ross, I bought the guitar because I couldn't pass up the opportunity to pick up a world class instrument at far less than I would for an instrument without the wear and tear.)

OMMV
Old 04-17-2021, 08:32 PM

If you include low build number 'limited editions' as part of a guitars history, I'd say yes.

I sold my Martin JDP II last month, it was build #71 of just 71.
The last one made.
I had validation from Martin.
It sold in 24 hours.
Coincidence or just lucky?

Build #14 has been listed on Reverb here for months. https://reverb.com/item/35987901-mar...l-14-pre-owned

My Martin Grand J12-40E Special sold a few days later - one of only 231 built.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

If the fact that Doyle Dykes owned it means something to you then it might be worth it. I don't consider myself a collector, so previous history wouldn't mean anything to me and I wouldn't pay anything extra for it - unless it happens to be a guitar that is hard to find anyway.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:46 PM

A big time fan/aficionado of Mr. Dykes would be willing to pay more if the guitars "Doyle Dykes" connection could be absolutely proven, and it would be worth even more to a DD fan if the guitar had been used on a "made famous by DD" recording and/or video that is out there on the WWW to be seen and/or heard.

Finding that "fan" might be a wee bit tricky on a sale, as Doyles fan base is ardent but small relatively speaking, but with patience you could definitely find the one right DD fan who wants that particular guitar.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-17-2021, 08:54 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

I have the option to buy a guitar that I like locally. The guitar was owned and played on stage by a semi-famous or perhaps famous musician? It's not signed and it's not an artist model. But it's a great guitar and I would be interested in it based on simply what it is. But, they are asking a bit more because it was owned by a well known musician.

Which matters most, the guitar, and how it sounds, or who played it - Before you bought it? If you believe some of Doyle's Dykes spirit, or "mojo", remains in the box, then it depends on how much you think that prior ownership is worth?

If the box is such a great one, why would a professional performer want to sell it?

Don
Old 04-17-2021, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Which matters most, the guitar, and how it sounds, or who played it - Before you bought it? If you believe some of Doyle's Dykes spirit, or "mojo", remains in the box, then it depends on how much you think that prior ownership is worth?

If the box is such a great one, why would a professional performer want to sell it?

Don
I would suspect that when he changes sponsors, he might sell off his stock from the previous sponsor. But that's just a guess.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-17-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't think I'd pay any extra for a guitar used by a famous or semi-famous musician unless it was by one of my personal favourites and I could afford the upcharge. But, if it was used for serious touring I would be checking the guitar for extra wear and minor dings or damage gained in a life on the road as they may add to its repair and maintenance costs down the track.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion