The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2021, 06:10 AM

How about a Yamaha FSX3 Red Label? it is all-solid with a great pickup. made in China but like you said finding US-made all-solid for<$1k new is kind of difficult. If you are willing to spend $400 more, you can get a MIJ FSX5 which is basically the same guitar (different pickguard) and comes with HSC.

also if you would rather get a dreadnought shape, they make the FGX3 and 5 models.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
First lesson is to NEVER pay MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price). The most you should pay is MAP (minimum advertised price). You can often negotiate less but MAP should be your starting point.
Sorry... Whatever... Just tell me where can I buy the Gibson G-45 for less than a grand?

Last edited by goixoye; 03-19-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Alvarez MD60BG or Eastman E8D. I give the slight edge to the Alvarez.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Eastmans are great, and don't overlook the Martin Dread Jr.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:33 AM

I would suggest those I own :
Seagull Performer and Eastman AC122ce

and one I would like : Alvarez MFA or MGA
Old 03-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goixoye View Post
I'm new to the forum and guitars. My son has been playing for awhile. He's had several guitars but now only has a Taylor 314ce... He bought it new for $1,500+/-. They're $2K now. Anyway my son is a resource too.

Anyway I want to learn to play a guitar. And I want my own. My son offered to let me use his but it was a gift from his late grandfather and I'd hate to put a mark on it.

I'm not willing to buy a used one that I cannot touch before buying and would rather buy local than getting one shipped. I figure I'll get better support & set-up help from someone local. Plus if there is a problem it would be easier to get it worked out. Plus I'd be supporting a local business.

My budget is $1,000 and I want to get the best (which is subjective) guitar available for the money. The leading contenders are: Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus and Martin GPC-11E. They're both made in Mexico. The Martin is all solid wood. I think the Taylor might come with a better case... but not sure. I know the Taylor is a "mini" but I'm 5'8"ish so I don't think that would be a big deal. Initially I won't be plugging it into an amp but want that option for the future. I want to get something that may be my only guitar ever or at least something nice enough that I will not quickly want to upgrade out of.

I am interested on your thoughts on both of those guitars. As well as your thoughts on other guitars I should consider and why.

BTW I've been left-handed for 56 years. But as I've been working through this purchase I really believe that my right hand has better "rhythm". I'm basing that statement on finger drumming... if that makes any sense. My right hand seems to be better coordinated for that... even though I can't write at all with my right hand. I also air-guitar right-handed if that makes any difference. And I use scissors right handed too. Probably the result of being left-handed in a right-handed world. So I'm leaning toward playing right-handed. My son is left-handed too but plays right-handed.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Many years ago, I had a friend who was a great player. He could play anything with strings, but specifically played guitar and mandolin. He was left-handed and played right-handed. He told me that was his strength because his left hand was doing the hard part while his right was doing the easy stuff. He's only one example but I always remembered it.

Regarding your guitar; I've had a Martin GPCRSG for almost 4 years. It's now called the GPC13 and it's the model above the GPC11. The 11 is a very nice guitar. Since I got my guitar, I've bought 2 custom shop Martins, one used, and a J-40. I still play the my GPC just as much as the others and enjoy it just as much. Take a look at GC used guitars for the GPCRSGT. it's the same guitar as the GPC11 except that it comes with a hard-shell case. You should be able to find one for less than $900.

Good luck with your search!
Old 03-19-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
So what is the lowest priced US made guitar? Is it the Gibson G-45?
You should at least consider Larrivee’s offerings; probably the best value to cost ratio in a US made guitar.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:15 PM

Try some Yamaha L series!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:09 PM

The Martin is will be the more satisfying guitar for the price, and will go further with you. but the Taylor has a better case, and pickup imo.

Another option for even more bang for the buck, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is seagull.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry... Whatever... Just tell me where can I buy the Gibson G-45 for less than a grand?
Look up Sweetwater and call them and offer a couple hundred off the list price. That's a good way to start. Between the 2 you mentioned definitely the Martin. The GS Mini is nice but a specialty guitar for sure.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Exciting! I notice that neither of your two candidates are dreadnaught size - good for you. If you decide you want big somewhere down the road I promise they will still be making them, but better to start (and stay!) with something you can cuddle up to.

Good advice from others about the short scale on the Mini-GS - might be easier at first but you might soon find yourself cramped up. Like hockey on small ice. I personally like a slightly shorter scale - a hair under 25" as on many 000 and OM models.

Martin and Taylor are, of course, the big names but there are many other possibilities. Yamaha and Eastman have been mentioned, as well as Seagull and Alvarez. These companies provide a LOT of bang for your buck.

I am 100% left-handed but have always played righty. A few folks I know play a righty guitar by turning it over and playing upside down. Okay if you're just banging out chords (which is what they do), but most melody lines are carried on the high strings and they are quite a reach upside down. (Side note: Justin Sandercoe of JustinGuitar.com takes his own lessons left-handed to remind himself how difficult it can seem at first.)

A case is a good idea, but put your focus on when you are driving instead of when you are parked.

Larrivée OMV-40R
Larrivée OOO-40M
Guild M20
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE
Eastman E6OM
Yamaha CSF3M
Washburn D25S
Epiphone "Joe Pass" Emperor II
Squier Classic Vibes Stratocaster
Old 03-20-2021, 04:42 AM

I'd buy a Martin road series or a Gibson G45 studio. All solid wood and a better resale value than laminate or import guitars.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=Rpt50;6666452]Personally I think it would be a lot better for you to buy a Yamaha or Alvarez now for $200-300, which will easily hang with (or exceed) the guitars you mention. Save your money until your skills develop enough that YOU can make your own judgements as to what you like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Buy a Yamaha 800, 820 or 830 series for $300 or less (or Alvarez). They are great guitars and after you hone your skills you will know much better what you like and dislike. I’ve bought many, many high end guitars over the years...I have paired down to my current grouping, and my yammmis are going nowhere, superb value.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 03-20-2021, 09:08 AM

IME koa GS Minis are wonderful little guitars - I've never played a dud, our last band's vocalist had one that was absolute magic (no exaggeration), and I understand the Plus version pumps it up a notch...

FYI Chuck Berry used a 23-1/2" scale Gibson ES-350T at the height of his career...

Eric Clapton and Ted Nugent rocked Byrdlands for a number of years...

John Lennon will forever be associated with the uber-short-scale (21") Rickenbacker 325...

Only you know your needs - if the body size/scale length are in fact what you require to make satisfactory progress, don't be afraid to ignore the "conventional wisdom"...
Old 03-23-2021, 03:58 AM

I appreciate all the input. As a side note it would be really helpful if you include very specific model info and not just a brand.

If possible I'd like to buy a US made guitar... it seems like the Gibson G-45 is the least expensive option. I called the local Gibson dealer. They told me the G-45 is out of production and that it's replacement wouldn't be available until August. The local Martin dealer has the GPC-11E on order but doesn't expect it to arrive until 03/2022. The Taylor dealer is expecting a GSM-eK+ in a couple of weeks. So maybe I'll get a chance to touch that one...

As near as I can tell the other suggestions are over $1K. Or foreign made. Or both. Even my original 2 are made in Mexico.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion