The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
That's primarily my playing style as well, and I chose the TD-35 as a starting point.
I’m following your lead.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
My TP50 has been my only pick the past 5 years, and while I love trying to flatpack, the vast majority of that time has been strumming. It's a great tool.

Having said that, if you're used to thin picks, it's going to sound strange, IMO. My strumming attack changed as I moved to thicker picks. I think (again, IMO) I'm more controlled now than I was when I used thinner picks. The tone is warmer and I have much less pick noise now. That's just my personal experience.
This is sort of where I’m at. I’m graduating to thicker picks and changing my strum to get more body in the tone.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Underrated aspect of BC picks (or at least one that doesn’t seem to come up as often) - they have a “tacky” sort of surface that just kind of sticks to your fingers a little better than any pick I’ve tried. I find I can grip it in a more relaxed sort of way, and it’s less apt to slip out of position.
Yes! It's weird because the material is perfectly smooth, but they stick to the fingers better than anything else I've tried. And yes, OP, great for strumming.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
I ordered one to try out. If I hate it, it's totally on @KESTLY! LOL!!!!! Ok fine, j/k.
OH NO - Don't listen to me!!! I don't know what I'm talking about...ha, ha! But, seriously though, I have full confidence that you will be thanking me in a few days. Blue Chip deserves their reputation, and that TD 35 is going to rock your strumming world!
Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESTLY View Post
OH NO - Don't listen to me!!! I don't know what I'm talking about...ha, ha! But, seriously though, I have full confidence that you will be thanking me in a few days. Blue Chip deserves their reputation, and that TD 35 is going to rock your strumming world!
I chose the speed bevel because I’ve been dabbling in flat picking. Will that detract from strumming tone? I didn’t even know speed bevels were a thing until a month ago. Ha.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:56 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
My TP50 has been my only pick the past 5 years, and while I love trying to flatpack, the vast majority of that time has been strumming. It's a great tool.

Having said that, if you're used to thin picks, it's going to sound strange, IMO. My strumming attack changed as I moved to thicker picks. I think (again, IMO) I'm more controlled now than I was when I used thinner picks. The tone is warmer and I have much less pick noise now. That's just my personal experience.
I had kind of given up on my Blue Chip. I liked it for picking individual notes- arpeggios, lead, etc, which I often play. But for strumming, I found it made a lot of "clacky" noise (like thicker picks tend to do). It also produced less volume than almost any other pick I used.

This post (and a few of the other posts in this thread) have caused me to rethink this. I plan to use it for a while, and work on my strumming technique with it and see what happens. So thanks!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 04-21-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
I chose the speed bevel because I’ve been dabbling in flat picking. Will that detract from strumming tone? I didn’t even know speed bevels were a thing until a month ago. Ha.
No, it will not detract. A speed bevel is just supposed to replicate the bevel on a pick that has been broken in through playing. Picks actually get better with use. If anything, I imagine the speed bevel would improve your strumming tone. The speed bevel option seems to be very popular here on AGF.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:31 PM

I'm mostly a strummer/rhythm player. I like to have a variety of picks available, one of which is always a Blue Chip.

I use a TP40, and find it quite easy to hold in comparison to other picks the same size. This allows me to relax my grip a bit, which helps with the mechanics of strumming.

To me the Blue Chip is a quiet pick, especially after I used one for a few weeks. There are times when I want more percussion, and that's when I switch to a different plectrum.

Blue Chip seems to be at its strongest when I'm playing something with a lot of bass runs.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
I had kind of given up on my Blue Chip. I liked it for picking individual notes- arpeggios, lead, etc, which I often play. But for strumming, I found it made a lot of "clacky" noise (like thicker picks tend to do). It also produced less volume than almost any other pick I used.

This post (and a few of the other posts in this thread) have caused me to rethink this. I plan to use it for a while, and work on my strumming technique with it and see what happens. So thanks!
That’s awesome! Let us know what you think after some more time with it!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Blue Chip picks (Dupont Vespel) is a very good material for making guitar picks. It is grippy in the fingers, slides wonderfully across the strings and makes very user friendly picks. Which I guess is why it is so popular.

Personally though it is not my favourite in terms of tone and especially in terms of balance when strumming. I have owned and still own a number of BC picks and have some Vespel that I have shaped into various picks too.

For me, BC picks and Vespel picks in general are a bit "shouty" when strumming. I loose the quiet shimmer and blend of stings that I want. Particularly, I find Vespel not good for styles where I want articulated bass notes and riffs with treble note strums filling in. I find that Vespel is not very good for this brush style strumming, no matter what thickness or shape, it makes the trebles too loud for me and does not sound natural.

I would say that overall I do loose some of the natural "wood" sound and the balanced timbre that I like when I use a BC pick compared to some other materials.

I do still carry Vespel picks because there are times when ease of use trumps timbre.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

The only thing I can to this thread is that I’ve noticed less wear on the wood, especially at the sound hole, when compared to what I was strumming with before. I used a TD 35 with a J-45 for 5 years with no visible wear. Switched to a different pick and wore into the finish and then started on the wood after just a few months. Switched back and the wear has stopped or at least slowed way down.

Not sure whether the BC subtlety changes my technique or the material is less damaging to tops. I think it’s the latter.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
The only thing I can to this thread is that I’ve noticed less wear on the wood, especially at the sound hole, when compared to what I was strumming with before. I used a TD 35 with a J-45 for 5 years with no visible wear. Switched to a different pick and wore into the finish and then started on the wood after just a few months. Switched back and the wear has stopped or at least slowed way down.

Not sure whether the BC subtlety changes my technique or the material is less damaging to tops. I think it’s the latter.
You should look at your technique. No reason why you should wear into the woods after a few months.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildF20Guy View Post
You should look at your technique. No reason why you should wear into the woods after a few months.
I would look at my strumming technique if I were wearing into the top at all. I've been playing for many decades and not one of my guitars shows any wear on the wood below (or above) the sound hole.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-22-2021, 07:08 AM

56 years playing acoustic guitar and 53 years bluegrass. I use Charmed Life .75
for strumming and Blue Chip for straight flat picking. Both large triangle when i am doing both 1.0 Blue Chip tri or .75 Charmed Life small triangle.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:14 AM

I have a TAD40. Great pick for strumming. It's all I ever use now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion