The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2021, 10:06 AM

Default KLOS travel guitar strings

I bought one of these for travel 99% of the time and for following my toddler son around outside when it's 40 degrees outside. I play 100% flesh fingerstyle.

I am very much not a fan of the tone, but it's sufficient for practicing and it's hard to beat for travel (I own a Furch Little Jane which is fantastic, and I have owned a Journey OF660 but the KLOS is smaller and can be put into your luggage vs needing its own bag which is huge when you are only carrying on for a 2-3 day trip). It actually plays pretty well and is very similar to an electric guitar - even with the 24.75 scale length, the neck is Fender-ish.

Anyhow, it comes strung with EXP26 D'Addarios which are coated bronze extra lights, 11-52.

I typically use 80/20 mediums so I first switched to a set of Martin strings which sounded about the same.

I tried a set of EJ16 Daddario - another go to for me and I did not like the sound.

I currently have it strung w/ a 13-52 set of Ernie Ball silk and steel strings, which improved the sound (by softening it) but it's still plinky.

I wanted to see if anyone had any additional suggestions - I'm just looking to get a softer less ukelele-ish tone for my own enjoyment.

I was debating trying out a set of Martin Monels but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

As I said, it's not about loving/hating the guitar - I think it serves its purpose for air travel - I just want to get the best sound I can out of it for my own enjoyment.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-18-2021, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I have one too. I like DR Rare bluegrass 12-56 to add a bit more warmth and bass. I also put a soundport in the side that seems to have helped a little as well.

It doesn't match my Little Jane for sure but it did help and I agree the playability is definitely nice.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have one too. I like DR Rare bluegrass 12-56 to add a bit more warmth and bass. I also put a soundport in the side that seems to have helped a little as well.

It doesn't match my Little Jane for sure but it did help and I agree the playability is definitely nice.
Thanks for the info - I will give those a shot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber